DHBC Crit racing is coming!!!!!

Club News and Announcements
Simon Llewellyn

Postby Simon Llewellyn » 11 Apr 2009, 18:07

Hey guys & girls, just to let everybody know and give you all some notice I have tee-d up some club crit racing for us!!!! It will be combined with the omnium to be known as the 'Dully Double' and will be a point score combining the track races with a criterium race over one weekend, every month. It will be open to everybody with a race license. Currently I have sourced out a location to start off with (which just needs confirmed) and if I can source another spot closer we could either move it or aim to have a variety of circuits over the year as other clubs do!

Criterium Racing: Sunday 17 May 2009.
Start time: 7:30am- 8am
Expected finish time: 8:30am-9:30am
Grades: Slowies (C), Middies (B), Fasties (A)

THe plan is that it will run on a Sunday morning so everyboday can meet at Mick's at 6:30am once a month, ride out together, race then ride back to the coffee shop around the usual time. All up it will be a similar distance to riding to waterfall (80kms odd) & will be a whole lot of fun!!!! For the first run it probably will not be the morning after the omnium as I have a uni assignment that weekend but in future it should be....

So put it in your diary and I should be able to confirm that we have the track booked and are ready to go by the end of this week...

Stuart

Postby Stuart » 12 Apr 2009, 12:07

Sounds great Simon - just one thing - please explain Crit Racing to the uninitiated - I checked Wikipedia but I'd still like to get your explanation!

jimmy

Postby jimmy » 12 Apr 2009, 15:08

Moved to News and Announcements (I felt that was where it belonged...)

James

Simon Llewellyn

Postby Simon Llewellyn » 12 Apr 2009, 15:28

It's road racing not an announcement, so should come under the road section!

Hey guys you've got to stop blocking threads, moving them or in anyway altering them without asking the person who started them...It's rude, it's like saying that you know better...

I don't post on the news announcemnt section because no-one reads it, well I don't on a regular basis anyway.

Simon Llewellyn

Postby Simon Llewellyn » 12 Apr 2009, 16:23

Sounds great Simon - just one thing - please explain Crit Racing to the uninitiated - I checked Wikipedia but I'd still like to get your explanation!
Criterium racing is basically either road racing on a track or track racing on road bikes depending on who you are and whichever description better suites your needs. Except the 'track' is not a velodrome but a looped road track like heffron park which must be less than 3kms in distance according to the Federation rules (from memory).

THere are really two types of Crit racing in NSW at present, Graded scratch races like Randwich runs on Saturday afternoons at Heffron, and a Handicap in which the grades start seperately, are in the same race and are chasing each other, Easts runs this kind of racing at Heffron on Tuesday nights.

Depending on numbers we will probably have graded scratch races but if numbers are smaller and safety permits a handicap is probably more fun and allows for a longer race because everybody is involved...

Stuart

Postby Stuart » 12 Apr 2009, 17:17

It's road racing not an announcement, so should come under the road section!

Agreed. I think it belongs back in road. BTW, I was thinking the "News & Announcements" section should be renamed the "Club News & Announcements" as that's what its for really? discuss.
Hey guys you've got to stop blocking threads, moving them or in anyway altering them without asking the person who started them...It's rude, it's like saying that you know better...
I agree and a charter of web site / forum use etc is long overdue. Maybe to discuss Tue night by new committee?
I don't post on the news announcement section because no-one reads it, well I don't on a regular basis anyway.
I'm the same. I hardly ever look at this section as its mostly club oriented, fairly static and informational, rather than about racing or a ride that's coming up etc.

timyone

Postby timyone » 13 Apr 2009, 01:40

yeah if your going to move some thing in here can you just create another one in here? i dont ever come in here, and wouldnt if i hadnt heard it was in here.

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 13 Apr 2009, 02:01

Why don't you guys just store a bookmark for "View new topics"? That way you don't have to visit every single sub-forum for the latest. IIRC, the sub-forums were put in place for a reason.

Objectively speaking, this new crit program is both a significant news item as well as a road item in the long run. If people don't want to make use of the News sub-forum, then maybe there should be a discussion to remove it.

jimmy

Postby jimmy » 13 Apr 2009, 09:48

One of the reasons I moved the thread was because standard users cannot create new posts in News and Announcements. Anyone can respond, but only moderators can create new threads.

There is still a stub for this thread in the Road Section.

James

Simon Llewellyn

Postby Simon Llewellyn » 13 Apr 2009, 10:53

One of the reasons I moved the thread was because standard users cannot create new posts in News and Announcements. Anyone can respond, but only moderators can create new threads.

There is still a stub for this thread in the Road Section.

James
I don't disagree that this subject fits this section and the road section, but I still don't see why I wasn't asked before it was moved. But anyway it's not that important.

Why is it that only moderators can post new topics in this section? It seems that that's probably why no-one reads it beacause it is underutulised. What news can moderators have that is more important than the general public of the club that necessitates the need for this section to be so controlled? I doubt that even if people could post in it that the level of usage would change....

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 13 Apr 2009, 12:52

Why is it that only moderators can post new topics in this section?
IIRC, that structure was felt to be the best arrangement in the early days of our forum for which we were all part of that discussion. We (non-mods) didn't object at the arrangement at that time and so it stayed. Oh well. :roll:

malee

Postby malee » 13 Apr 2009, 16:27

That sounds great. I had a go at Heffron the other day - not the racing but on the track. I really enjoyed it. I could not see myself racing as D grade seemed much too fast and thought I would need a F grade, bypassing E as that would also be too fast if there was one! So a DHBC slowies grade, whatever you call it would be great.
Unfortunately, I will be away that Sunday morning. However, I am sure Geoff will be there having a go.

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 14 Apr 2009, 21:17

I'm in

Simon Llewellyn

Postby Simon Llewellyn » 14 Apr 2009, 23:27

I've sent the application form in and email to request sanctioning and the venue. As requested I've also inquired about 1 day licenses which when we work out how they work will also be available for the omnium.

Trouty

Postby Trouty » 19 Apr 2009, 10:38

Dully double sounds great! Although a bummer I will miss the June one as we will be away in France. I trust Simon will be taking up my role of social club secretary or alchohol organiser in my absence !!!

Glenno

Postby Glenno » 20 Apr 2009, 21:31

simon,

I would love to race but that is the same day as the Half Marathon, which I do every year.

I am keen to know how it goes though Can you answer the following:

What grades are you going to have?
What is the distance for each grade?
Handicaps?

Also I have to have 3 months off riding from July to the end of September so I could probably help out with the race organisation etc if needed.

Simon Llewellyn

Postby Simon Llewellyn » 23 Apr 2009, 22:23

Cheers Michael I'll keep that in mind,

I'v pretty much got the venue confirmed for the date now but I'm still waiting for the racing to be sanctioned by CNSW, the guy who does it has either been off sick or on leave or something. But anyway he's back monday so we should get an idea then where we stand and what else needs done to get it all up and running.

Anyway at present the grading will be A,B & C with connotation to our three levels of bunch speeds on the way out to Waterfall on a Sunday morning. I'm aiming for an enjoyable fun kind of racing that encourages racing for the glory rather than the money as we plan to have the lowest possible entry fee and no prize money.

As for race distances and handicaps? I haven't really got that far yet as that's the easy part, it can just about be done on the day depending on who shows up.We normally grade the omnium and choose the races on the day as it is better that way. But it will gain momentum and formula as it progresses. THe problem of course in deciding before the day is that I don't have a clue how many people will show up. It could be as little as 10 or as large as 100. Other clubs who have held races for years don't have the same problem.

timyone

Postby timyone » 24 Apr 2009, 08:51

waterfall hey, well im riding middies this week :D on my fixed bike :)

JohnR

Postby JohnR » 03 May 2009, 09:47

One question - for members like myself who hold a current recreational license do cycling NSW offer an "upgrade" to a race license (i.e. an incremental charge rather than needing to buy outright)?

Cheers John

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 03 May 2009, 11:13

One question - for members like myself who hold a current recreational license do cycling NSW offer an "upgrade" to a race license (i.e. an incremental charge rather than needing to buy outright)?

Cheers John
Upgrade price is the difference between the two licenses.

Terry

Postby Terry » 03 May 2009, 12:19

The difference I paid was $121 to upgrde to a Masters 2 level license.

timyone

Postby timyone » 04 May 2009, 09:08

hey when this is on are we missing about 11 riders?

shrubb face

Postby shrubb face » 04 May 2009, 09:22

Masters crit is on that sunday, but ken dinnerville isnt on till the sunday after that. So i suspect most people should be there.

Im looking forward to racing again.

Simon Llewellyn

Postby Simon Llewellyn » 06 May 2009, 22:12

Hey guys our offical sanctioning letters came through today, so we're all go!!!

So I'll start to think about distances & racing type, though we'll probably still work it out on the day depending on numbers.

timyone

Postby timyone » 08 May 2009, 12:01

depending on how long my bike takes to come, you lot may be going down. Nothing that says bmc on it will go slowly :D
(ok there may be exceptions to who may beat me despite me riding a nice bike :D but in the interest of creating a an atmosphere of hardcore competativeness in the club, in which we will jump over our own great grandmothers graves to beat another dulwich hill rider, i will overlook this fact :D

shrubb face

Postby shrubb face » 08 May 2009, 12:18

Tim as a 8 year old boy, i did in fact jump over my great grandmothers grave whilst visiting it in ye old england. I also jumped my great grandfathers as well but thats another story. Therefore I accept your challange and will beat you and your new bike on the day.

timyone

Postby timyone » 08 May 2009, 15:10

bring it on :D:D:D

Stuart

Postby Stuart » 13 May 2009, 08:38

Hey Simon, can you confirm that we'd need a full licence to race on Sunday?

Return to “News and Announcements”