PR

Club News and Announcements
simon.sharwood

Postby simon.sharwood » 10 Jul 2009, 09:37

Hi all,
for those of you who don't know, I scored the gig as Communications Officer at the last AGM.

The first thing I hope you will start to see from me in this role is some coverage of the club's exploits in the local press, driven by press releases I will write and distribute (I work as a journo and used to be a PR, so this stuff is basically what I do for a living anyway).

I sent out a press release last week describing events at last Friday's RAW track meet, plus a photo of some previous RAW action. I intend to do a release for every RAW, Heffron Park, internal crit and other race we enter.

I've sent this release to The Western Courier, The Glebe and Western Weekly and The Cooks River Valley times.

How can you help? If you have photos of DHBC members in action, let me know!

If you know of any other local papers in our area please let me know with a personal message.

If you participated in an event and podiumed, medalled or just did good, let me know!

FWIW, the release I sent last week is at the bottom of this post.

Now go win something so I can publicise it!

Simon.

Dulwich Hill Bicycle Club regains lead in
Sydney’s premier track cycling competition

DULWICH HILL, TUESDAY JULY 7th: Dulwich Hill Bicycle Club (DHBC) has regained the lead in Sydney’s premier track cycling competition, RAW Track.
DHBC returned to the lead of the Tineli Club Challenge in the 15-week series after last Friday’s round of the event, thanks to strong performances across all five grades and the novice category. The club led the competition after round one, but fell behind the Illawarra club in week two.
The best-performed DHBC riders on the night were Jonathan Gowlland and Michael Chidgey, who placed second and third respectively in the open wheel race, the only race on the night to feature riders from all grades.
Several other DHBC riders won heats or placed in finals on the night, which also featured the debut of two new riders for the club. One debutant, Jessica Norman, took out her “one lap screamer” while Victoria Armstrong competed strongly in her first ride on the Olympic velodrome.
DHBC now leads the weekly competition with 898 points, ahead of Illawarra on 762 and Central Coast on 532.
DHBC Track Captain Simon Llewellyn praised the efforts of his team.
“Wheel races have long been the pinnacle of Australian track cycling and require a lot of skill and ability to win, so for Jonathan and Michael to place in the open wheel race is an exceptional effort,” he said.
“I’m also very proud of the turnout the club mustered for the night. We had eighteen riders compete, the largest representation for a Sydney club.”
Llewellyn said he hoped the club can now build on its lead.
“When we realised that Illawarra pulled back the lead I put out the call and it was answered,” he said.
“It has just been amazing to watch over the past couple of years how much our club has grown on the track. From only having one to two riders compete in RAW four years ago and sitting about 30th, we have shot up the ranks and reached 5th place last year. Now we believe we can win the competition. Everybody is super motivated and we have a really friendly competitive attitude which is amazing to be around.”

Caption: DHBC riders Tim Llewellyn (left) and Simon Llewellyn compete in the Madison event at RAW Track, staged at the Olympic cycling venue, Dunc Gray Velodrome. Photo: David Lane, Action Snaps

About Dulwich Hill Bicycle Club
Founded in 1908, Dulwich Hill Bicycle Club is the oldest amateur bicycle club in New South Wales. The club has more than 100 members, aims to serve riders of the inner west, and caters to riders of all ages and abilities through a program of social and training rides on road and track. For more information see www.dhbc.org.au
For more information about RAW Track visit www.rawtrack.com.au

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 10 Jul 2009, 10:00

Great job Simon! Keep that PR spin machine well oiled. ;)

Stuart

Postby Stuart » 10 Jul 2009, 10:22

Great work Simon - BTW Jessica Norman is actually Jessica Ingegneri - The names were wrong on the RAW site - I think that Artson mixed up her last name with Camilla's. I thought somebody else would notice and tell him but it wasn't to be.

simon.sharwood

Postby simon.sharwood » 10 Jul 2009, 10:54

D'oh! I shall get Jessica right next time. My Journo skills were off on a Friday night ...

simon.sharwood

Postby simon.sharwood » 10 Jul 2009, 10:59

Here's our first piece of coverage!
http://www.torchpublishing.com.au/read/ ... ge_015.jpg
It shows that pictures are key, so the more we can get the merrier.

Camilla

Postby Camilla » 10 Jul 2009, 11:34

No, it is actually Jessica Norman. We were separated at birth and Jess was kept on ice for 10 years.

Camilla

Postby Camilla » 10 Jul 2009, 11:37

Oh! And very nice work Simon!

orphic

Postby orphic » 10 Jul 2009, 12:02

Very nicely done Simon!

Rainbow

Postby Rainbow » 10 Jul 2009, 12:53

Hi all, just for a little clarification...

My surname is officially Norman, yes Camilla and I were separated at birth. I canged my surname from Ingegneri to Norman as noone could say my name. So instead I confused everyone by using them both from time to time :s

I'll stick with Norman, it's easy for club things

Rainbow

Postby Rainbow » 10 Jul 2009, 12:54

P.S. I love the article!!!

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 10 Jul 2009, 15:36

My surname is officially Norman, yes Camilla and I were separated at birth. I canged my surname from Ingegneri to Norman as noone could say my name. So instead I confused everyone by using them both from time to time :s

I'll stick with Norman, it's easy for club things
No... That's like changing Stradivarius to Sam, Guarnerius to George and Campagnolo to Candi!

We can handle Ingegneri. :)

Stuart

Postby Stuart » 10 Jul 2009, 16:17

Hi all, just for a little clarification...
My surname is officially Norman, yes Camilla and I were separated at birth. I canged my surname from Ingegneri to Norman as noone could say my name. So instead I confused everyone by using them both from time to time :s I'll stick with Norman, it's easy for club things
Ummm apologies Jess, I thought I was doing the right thing! I was relying on your Facebook profile! Teach me to believe anything on FB!

Camilla

Postby Camilla » 11 Jul 2009, 11:04

I vote Jess keeps Norman. It's her mum's name after all, not something she picked out of a box, so she has a right to it. Now, if we could just convince Geoff S to use his mother's name we could take on the Llewellyns! ... just as long as there are no bikes involved.

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 12 Jul 2009, 17:08

Nah Jess,

Change your name to Jessica Purple Rainbow

Rainbow

Postby Rainbow » 13 Jul 2009, 08:33

I had this exact thought myself yesterday. I think it has a real ring to it, hehe.

malee

Postby malee » 14 Jul 2009, 17:15

Hey I like that idea Camilla. All the Normans, please come out and declare yourself as a team. We can then have team races at the omniums. Are there any Lees out there?

simon.sharwood

Postby simon.sharwood » 14 Jul 2009, 17:19

Hey I like that idea Camilla. All the Normans, please come out and declare yourself as a team. We can then have team races at the omniums. Are there any Lees out there?
What if half a dozen riders suddenly change their name to Llewellyn?

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 19 Jul 2009, 19:57

I had this exact thought myself yesterday. I think it has a real ring to it, hehe.
Yeh do it

Return to “News and Announcements”