Using compressor and paint gun - respraying frame

Parts, bike builds, tools, tips and maintenance.
marc2131

Postby marc2131 » 15 Jun 2013, 15:03

Been collecting all the tools but don't have the common sense to use them properly.
One thing I acquired many years back was an air compressor and spray gun set up. Never used it.
Anyway I have a steel bike project which is in dire need of a respray. Believe I can do the prep competently enough but may need guidance using the above mentioned equipment.
No hurry to get this complete.
marc

humanbeing

Postby humanbeing » 15 Jun 2013, 17:37

Marc,
I spray paint at my work and even used the gear to spray paint a steel frame a couple of years ago with excellent results.
I'm sure I could give you a few pointers. Frame prep being key.
Talk soon.
Peter

christian

Postby christian » 17 Jun 2013, 14:31

What sort of paint are you using? 2 pack or Acrylic? They both have pros and cons, 2 pack comes out of the gun shiny, acrylic will need to be cut and buffed. Its actually illegal to spray 2 pack outside a booth, there are iso-free 2 packs that you can spray without a booth and I've used one of them, the finish is great but the surface hardness is no better then acrylic. I find spraying acrylic a little more forgiving.

I'd recommend a touch up spray gun as they are smaller and easier to handle for such a small job. If you are going to spray something like a metallic or a pearl then you'll need to spray a clear coat as well. I've sprayed a couple of frames, one metallic in acrylic and one candy red in 2 pack base coat (which is not toxic) and iso-free 2 pack clear.

Take note that automotive paint is expensive, you may have thought house paint is a bit pricey, just you wait. If you want to risk spraying the real 2 pack I'd read up on isocynate exposure before you do. And I think the fine is somewhere around $10k if you get caught.

You could possible use a clear finish like KBS diamond clear which is a moisture cure enamel but I'm not sure of the compatibility with base coats, its generally something you'll need to test.

marc2131

Postby marc2131 » 17 Jun 2013, 15:26

Thanks Peter. Hope you're elbow is recuperating well.

Christian, always intended to use acrylic. Old bikes would have only been painted in acrylic anyway. Not keen on the super shiny, plastic look of 2 pac.

Yes I was wondering about the spray gun. I have a full sized one, which even to my novice eyes feel it is overkill.
Still early stages. Will discuss with you guys when I see you. No rush on this project.

marc :)

Return to “The Workshop”