8 weeks of Tempe racing thursdays, should be dry (week two)

For all things Velodrome
timyone

Postby timyone » 21 Jan 2010, 17:30

Hey Randwick ar egoing to put thursday night racing on for 8 weeks :D but they need a certain amount of numnbers to run it! (starting in feb)

This is a great opportunity for any one that wants to build up to racing raw, and to any one that wants to race on tempe with out the stress of hardcore racing, on the track they train on.

I love it and will skip swing dancing for it i reckon. I totally recomend it to every one!

10 bux entry i think, need a race licence, gates open some where near 6:30 racing from 7 or so
Last edited by timyone on 10 Feb 2010, 10:18, edited 3 times in total.

jbcow

Postby jbcow » 21 Jan 2010, 19:45

Sounds good. Keen to be part of the fun.

orphic

Postby orphic » 22 Jan 2010, 07:47

Yeah I'll race. Although it does cut into beer drinking Thursdays, but I guess beer drinking post racing is possible...

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 22 Jan 2010, 09:45

I'll be there

rhys

Postby rhys » 22 Jan 2010, 14:52

Sounds like fun, I will give it a go.

hugo

Postby hugo » 22 Jan 2010, 21:10

and before then there's always lidcombe....

there was an announcement there tonight, they're having a RAW style competition starting on the 5th of feb. It'll only go for 5 weeks, but there'll be prizemoney which i'm pretty sure you won't get from randwick, although i'm not 100% certain on that. It's a seriously great family atmosphere out there, everyone's really nice, and its a really awesome track as well. i have no idea why everyone seems so reluctant to get out there?

Trouty

Postby Trouty » 23 Jan 2010, 04:30

and before then there's always lidcombe....

there was an announcement there tonight, they're having a RAW style competition starting on the 5th of feb. It'll only go for 5 weeks, but there'll be prizemoney which i'm pretty sure you won't get from randwick, although i'm not 100% certain on that. It's a seriously great family atmosphere out there, everyone's really nice, and its a really awesome track as well. i have no idea why everyone seems so reluctant to get out there?
There is prize money at the Randwick race, although not very much. I think the reluctance for Lidcome is that damn corner on the straight...and I guess Tempe is closer.

MtbAnt

Postby MtbAnt » 24 Jan 2010, 23:16

Mmm sounds good! Details to follow?

timyone

Postby timyone » 25 Jan 2010, 11:49

yeah i think they may be on the web site (randwick)

timyone

Postby timyone » 02 Feb 2010, 11:26

This starts this week!! should be amazingly good prep for our track open on sat. Any one thats racing on sat should consider this thursday

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 02 Feb 2010, 14:09

I'm out this Thursday and Saturday is in question too

Trouty

Postby Trouty » 02 Feb 2010, 17:07

This starts this week!! should be amazingly good prep for our track open on sat. Any one thats racing on sat should consider this thursday
bummer...I'm out for the next 2 Thursdays due to some work committments, but I will be a regular after that.

hugo

Postby hugo » 02 Feb 2010, 21:03

well theres always lidcombe....

shrubb face

Postby shrubb face » 03 Feb 2010, 06:17

im out for this thursday, but i am considering riding lidcombe.

Julio

Postby Julio » 04 Feb 2010, 15:24

It is now raining...4.20pm

hugo

Postby hugo » 04 Feb 2010, 16:30

just turn up, theres always rollers if it's off

timyone

Postby timyone » 04 Feb 2010, 16:51

im not confident about this being on tonight :(
we accidentally did a 170km day too :S so not feeling amazing, only had 4 hours sleep. (it was wet, which made me want to ride more in case it was canned>

micklan

Postby micklan » 04 Feb 2010, 18:50

be there next week 8)

NOOG

Postby NOOG » 04 Feb 2010, 19:17

im not confident about this being on tonight :(
we accidentally did a 170km day too :S so not feeling amazing, only had 4 hours sleep. (it was wet, which made me want to ride more in case it was canned>
Ok, I'll take the bait...accidentally?...Did you take a wrong turn? Or forget to turn around?

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 04 Feb 2010, 20:17

Ok, I'll take the bait...accidentally?...Did you take a wrong turn? Or forget to turn around?
There's probably a girl

timyone

Postby timyone » 04 Feb 2010, 20:46

lol dunno, it seemed like a good idea at the time, and tomas needed the km's, he wanted to do the park too. I broke a spoke in the end too :S had to come back from waterfall with a bent wheel :S

hugo

Postby hugo » 04 Feb 2010, 20:50

yeah tomas needed the km's, with all that racing he's doing....

timyone

Postby timyone » 05 Feb 2010, 07:24

There's probably a girl
that reminds me, i need to go for a ride down to woollongong some time, though ill need to take a change of clothes hey, also some snorkling equipment..

Julio

Postby Julio » 05 Feb 2010, 08:01

also some snorkling equipment..
Dude I am going to put that into the 'too much info' basket lol

timyone

Postby timyone » 05 Feb 2010, 08:16

nah shes into real life snorkling, thats one of the cool things about her :D

timyone

Postby timyone » 10 Feb 2010, 10:19

ok it should be dry tomorrow night right :D
ill still be training in the morning etc, but that doesnt have to mean we cant win there on the night :D

timyone

Postby timyone » 12 Feb 2010, 09:06

man i love racing at tempe!!

Last night was a bit quiet in the A grade department, but we had an A grader road cyclist (young lad) on a bt, and the randwick lad who i can never remember the name of who is good at sprinting as well as Alex Chugg and me.

In the first 6 lap race i died after 3 laps, unable to hold on in the wind, as they kept the pace over 50. Alex came third in the sprint, and that little road lad had no trouble sprinting for the win. We then did a longer race were Alex made a break away, and i slowed them down for him.. though i was coincidentally going the same speed as i had in the first race... though in the end, after a few moves of the road lad attacking, then doing turns until it got to me, and then him attacking again, i rolled through for second place after we went past alex on the last lap.

We then did semi and finals match sprints for the A grade. I was edged out by randwick sprinter (who was on 88?!) and Alex took on road boy in the final. Alex went early, and maybe a bit of lack of experience from road boy had him swininging up and down on the back of alex, making some strange moves for the lead. Alex edged him out to take the win, Alex then raced sprint guy for the final, and came second. In the three/ four race i had road boy, who i had been coaching in the break period, it turns out i suck at coaching, but i was able to keep him on my hip untill he went the long way around in a slow break, where i jumped onto him and sat him for half a lap followed, then tried to get past him. He kept me on his hip, but i took him over the line.

In the lower grades, we had half the feild on our side, our boys all there for experience. In the first race a guy in green made a massive break away, Hugo followed him, and then spent an amazing amount of time sitting in the chasing wind half way between the bunch and break, before nathan also made a break, and then sat half way between all of them. Hugo was caught, and the other guy was relegated to A grade.

The B/C missing out was a good race to watch, nathan did bits and peices on the front, and wore him self out, looking destined to be dropped, but in the end came second, Hugo had a good race but got boxed, and Julio was some where in it all, im not exactly sure where.

Last race was 10 laps slow, then faster for the rest. Alex had a break away for the last three laps that i some how missed, and i ended up some where half way back before Nathan called me in, in front of him, i then sat on bucko who took me to the front, then i sprinted around the bunch, with road guy on my wheel (hes improving by the hour?! (has a coach?!)) and edged him out in the sprint. Crazy!

All in all, Hugo got a heap of race experience, Jullian is getting his groove, and nathan is fast, but needs all the racing he can get, and some of the experienced riders did well against him.

Great night, totally good learn to race experience, really relaxed, and even the elite A grade cyclist lad had fun :D though me and alex by the end kept beating him in sprints :D

rhys

Postby rhys » 14 Feb 2010, 12:01

Pretty angry I'm missing out on this. I've been sent to sea for the next 3 weeks straight so my fitness is going to be crap by the time I come back. So far it seems my racing license has been a waste of money :(

timyone

Postby timyone » 14 Feb 2010, 12:12

Reece, we will get you racing, don't worry about it, you haven't missed any thing yet

rhys

Postby rhys » 14 Feb 2010, 14:54

Sweet. By the way, well done to all our guys who are improving and doing well!

timyone

Postby timyone » 18 Feb 2010, 20:29

man the racing is going heaps well, well that is with every one that has been turning up. Our A grade still needs a few more riders.

Tonight Ody decided to race, but was a bit unsure about which grade to ride, as he has hardly ridden in 4 years. In the combined 12 lap race bucko put in a massive break away which we left alone, untill the Ody led Dulwich train (well its not really our train, as he was th brak away rider who did 3 laps at about 55km an hour on the front?!?!) flew past him and dropped the whle field by a mile! he hammered ane thing i could do over three laps!!

Other most memorable moments for me, were the fact that Alex in the cloing 30 lap race, did 6 laps on the front at the end, leading up to the last lap, where i was lucky enough t be the first over the line.

Anthony had his first taste ofracing, and his gearing stuffed him up a bit, but he learnt a lot (the gearing is partof his traning), and Hugo is trying ome thing different every race.

hugo

Postby hugo » 18 Feb 2010, 21:09

yeah, two stuff ups from randwick botany cost me two possible wins :?
ah well, i got second in the c grade miss n out, and hopefully next week i'll kill it on the new bike. they're giving prizemoney as well. yay for money!

timyone

Postby timyone » 19 Feb 2010, 07:44

oops sorry about that!! yeah and hugos second place!!! man if the laps hadnt been so confusing and you had swung up and sat on him for a lap instead of him sitting on you for one and a half you totally could have won that!!

Its so good that theres those two lads to compete with. The red haired kid is just an enjuro i think, the southern cross one has a bit of both, but hes a bit enduro (probably more than the red headed randwick kid (i like that randwick kid, i was trying to get him into top three finish in the last race, but it turned out it was a fast sprint at the end, he was learning what to do though any way))

timyone

Postby timyone » 26 Feb 2010, 08:59

Man I'm loving the racing even if its.a small field. Last nights highlights were jo vs jules in the missing out! I think jules won by half a wheel, and in one of the scratch races (the money race even) hugo was on the front for the bell lap, he then. Stood for the sprint, and did the whole lap on the front, starting with people gaining on him, but he won it over the line :D

A grade is still a bit low on numbers, and we will be losing the big randwick sprinter for the last couple of weeks, so if any one can ride A grade they should turn up to take on me and alex.

Julio

Postby Julio » 26 Feb 2010, 09:38

I WON...my first track race. This thursday track racing is great experience leading up to RAW (one of my goals for the year) I have learnt heaps already and can't wait for next week.

This weeks race report:
The heart starter is still a mystery to me as I like sitting on the back of the group so as not to affect anyone, cruise around and try and keep with the group. This tactic worked and I didn't finish last like last time.

The miss and out was awesome again I sat at the back and above the red line so that I could get faster on turn 3 and 4 and not be last, a few times I only just pipped someone keeping me in the game.

When it got down to three people I thought it was the last lap and that who ever finished this lap in front would win so I keep the pace high and sprinted for all my worth just in front of Jo...but this was not the last lap and after letting jo go infront of me by about 4 bike lengths they rang the bell again for one more lap. Jo had the sprinters lane so I had to push up and try and take her from above the red line, she was in front on turn three and four but I knew I had the legs and only just pipped her on the line. :D

The next was a Scratch race and with my inexperience letting me down I finished a credible fourth. This shouldn't have been but as I stated before I usually just sit on the back of the group trying not to get into anyone way and gain experience in racing on the track. Was awesome to see hugh take the lead for the last lap and roll it home and collect his taxi money :P

The last race I did not compete in but should have. It was a pursuit with all three grades going hammer and tong for the first place and I think timmy rolled chuggsy in the last lap to win this race. All in all this is awesome racing for me as I have only been on the track for the last few months and I have learnt so much in the 2 races nights I have done here.

timyone

Postby timyone » 26 Feb 2010, 10:11

Man how much fun is it! And the best racing is going on in c grade! Though ian and nathan are putting the effort in in b, and ian has been winning some big sprints!

The aim is still to try and stay towards the front. Did every one notice jo putting the power down, splitting the bunch, then fitting her self in the gaps? Nice!!!

Anthony

Postby Anthony » 26 Feb 2010, 10:22

Go Hugo and Julian! congrats. Feel bad that i skipped out on racing yesterday. Seems like you're all having so much fun. Gotta try and make it next week.

Trouty

Postby Trouty » 26 Feb 2010, 10:50

Yeah - how good was that last night. What a crack up I came 2nd in missing out...I'm usually the first to go - DAMN YOU JULES! Just kidding, I just didnt have the legs to beat you at the line, so great race.

Hugo's speed has improved heaps, and I don't think he was at risk of losing the money. He knew where every one was in the race when it was time to make the break and held it well.

Having done this last year, I have noticed how much some of the riders have improved in a year. Ian Denker was riding C grade last year and is so strong now in B, same with some of the others.

A grades seems to be a fight off with Alex and Tim so definately more riders wanted to make that grade bigger, as they are really great to watch.

hugo

Postby hugo » 26 Feb 2010, 14:44

i cant do thursday nights anymore :( so if anyone wants to join me at lidcombe....

Return to “Track”