Getting a track bike that fits

For all things Velodrome
Eleri

Postby Eleri » 20 Mar 2011, 21:00

I'm trying to find a track bike that fits me, the one I've been riding at the track has a too-long top tube and I can't breathe on the drops.

I've got a few problems to resolve and they all involve compromise and I'd welcome opinions on which is the right compromise to make. Fortunately, cost is not one of them because all the expensive bikes are way too big for me. :)

Wheel size

Everyone says get 700 wheels. I can get bikes to fit that are 650 wheels. 2/3 of those are CrMo. My problem here is that "people" said the same about my road bike so I'm not sure if this is a real problem or not. It's not one I perceive as the rider of the bike. Are 650s definitely out?

standover
All the bikes (except the 650s) have too high standover. My older road bike is 710, my newer road bike is 687 but with sloping top tube. Nothing is below 740 and some are 760+. Does a higher bottom bracket mean that this doesn't matter so much? Could I ride a bike that is 30mm too tall?

top tube
I'm thinking this is where I shouldn't be making compromises, although I could put on a shorter stem in some cases although this might also have a few problems. The ETT on my road bike is 485. The smallest bike has a 510 top tube with a few around 515, 520 and 530. Is this the most important dimension to get right?

And a few more related questions to the top tube problem.
- if I shorten the stem from say 80 or 90, will that affect the handling?
- some of these bikes have very small wheelbases (903 for example). Would I be better off shortening the stem on a longer wheelbase (960-980) or a smaller wheelbase?

I've researched all my options and have a spreadsheet with the key dimensions & angles for all of them that bother to tell you on their websites that is. Just not sure how to make a decision at this point so appreciate any input.

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 20 Mar 2011, 21:37

A quick browse around found a Hillbrick Pista Frame in 500, which could be used in conjunction with a 70mm stem and bringing the seat forward 5mm, to give you the equivalent of your road 485.

You could also consider what handlebars you use, after all its all about the reach from the seat to where you hold on.

One more option is get a frame custom made, you can go as short as 470 with 700c wheels.

geoffs may have some views on a 650c track bikes as he has one.

Lizanne

Postby Lizanne » 21 Mar 2011, 07:16

i'll be at the track today and wednesday. my bike is a 51TT with i short reach. i can't stand over it but it's a dream to ride. because it's on track i don't think the standover is too important. no traffic lights to stop for.
if you have shimano cleates (or size 36 feet) you can try my bike out.

Stuart

Postby Stuart » 21 Mar 2011, 08:19

All I know is that if you want to borrow wheels for major races then having 700 is a good thing. Just ask Jo.

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 21 Mar 2011, 09:09

All I know is that if you want to borrow wheels for major races then having 700 is a good thing. Just ask Jo.
Good point Stuart, Camilla had a flat at Dunc Gray with only minutes to go before her race, not enough time to fix it, she got a wheel for the race off another rider

Karzie

Postby Karzie » 21 Mar 2011, 09:18

Did she get points for that?

rhys

Postby rhys » 21 Mar 2011, 15:43

EMT, I'll be at the track tonight and Wednesday too. My felt is 52 square but has a big drop to deep sprint drops. You could get an idea of the standover height etc if you wanted to look at it though.
It's a tough call really. If you're getting something you're going to keep for ages, then 650 might be worth it. You can get heaps of cheap 650 wheels from triathletes on ebay. I have thought about going 650 before too, but didn't have the time/patience to sort something out.

orphic

Postby orphic » 21 Mar 2011, 16:00

I think my TT is a 51.5 and I run either an 80mm or 90mm stem, I can't remember. You are welcome to have a roll on my bike although changing the seat height can be a bit of an issue. Not sure how our leg length compares.

I won't be at the track this week unfortunately...

Eleri

Postby Eleri » 21 Mar 2011, 19:18

Thanks for the offer to sit on bikes. I might try that next week because I can't go to the track this week at all. Lizanne, Jo and I are all about the same height. We checked out the relative height of our hips and there was quite a range.

The point about borrowing wheels is useful, but not sufficiently compelling if that's the only reason to get a 700.

Rainbow

Postby Rainbow » 24 Mar 2011, 20:47

My 2 cents worth is that your should (if you can do it) get a bike that fits you to a tee. I have one bike that has 650c wheels and Ryhs is correct, it is really cheap to buy old 650c stuff on ebay. There are always disks etc going around, you'd never have to borrow! I don't think there is any compromise on comfort and if you can't stand over your bike on solid ground then getting on and off rollers could certainly be very scary!

Trouty

Postby Trouty » 25 Mar 2011, 11:04

My 2 cents worth is that your should (if you can do it) get a bike that fits you to a tee. I have one bike that has 650c wheels and Ryhs is correct, it is really cheap to buy old 650c stuff on ebay. There are always disks etc going around, you'd never have to borrow! I don't think there is any compromise on comfort and if you can't stand over your bike on solid ground then getting on and off rollers could certainly be very scary!
I disagree...I have more serious hieght issues than you Eleri, and my bike has standard wheels and I am so glad I didn't go with a frame that fits the 650's. If it was so imperative - why aren't other short people (or juniors) in NSWIS or on the track riding these? Trust me - when you are on the track, borrowing wheels is a big advantage at critical times and a definate compelling reason. It's hard enough to find a local bike shop that caters to track bikes in emergencies - little own a shop that is going to stock 650 tubes etc. Also - when the time comes to upgrade your wheels or get a race pair - getting good deals on 650's will be harder.

Some other points for consideration:
1) When do you need to stand on solid ground when you are on your track bike anyway? When you stop you are mainly against a rail (except at dunc).
2) Buying stuff on ebay is fine when you have planned for it. Often you have to buy stuff when things go wrong and it's unplanned.
3)I think your nuts. Don't go with the 650's - those wheels will put the timing out on our well oiled DHBC womans pursuit team!
Last edited by Trouty on 26 Mar 2011, 01:02, edited 2 times in total.

Eleri

Postby Eleri » 25 Mar 2011, 17:41

I'm going to try a small Bianchi with 700s because it looks like it might have a small enough top tube.

Annoyingly they only publish half the geometry and while I could probably work out the rest of the dimensions like standover, I'm also sure I've got better things to do. I'll have a go on it and see how it feels. Everything has to get ordered in for a try, that's a bit annoying.

geoffs

Postby geoffs » 02 Apr 2011, 16:53

I should be picking up the wee Fuji track frame that I bought for Marian in the next week or so from star enamel. It takes 650 wheels which I have. It would be interesting to see how it fits you.
I also have a 650c zipp carbon front wheel that I was given

Eleri

Postby Eleri » 02 Apr 2011, 19:37

I'll look forward to seeing it Geoff! I've got a Bianchi being amended at the moment. Looks like the right size with a shorter stem and different handlebars. I'll see how it feels when it's all put together.

Return to “Track”