Women’s Introduction to Velodrome Cycling Program

For all things Velodrome
Rainbow

Postby Rainbow » 22 Mar 2011, 06:17

Women’s Introduction to Velodrome Cycling Program

To all the ladies:

Starting on Saturday the 2nd of April at 2pm for 8 weeks DHBC will be running a fun an exciting ‘come n give it a go Velodrome cycling’ program just for the ladies. This course is aimed at encouraging those whom already ride with the club (and are members) but have not yet met the velodrome a chance to come and find out what all the excitement is about.

This will be a structured 8 week progressive program starting with the fundamental basics: riding a fixed wheel bike, riding on the banking, riding in a pace-line, starts and drills, flying 200s plus learning about all the different track racing events and having a go!

Never fear, the program will run rain, hail and shine.
On the last week we’ll have a BBQ and an award presentation.

What you’ll need:
• Normal cycling gear (helmet, lycra, etc.)
• Gloves
• Some food and a water bottle
• Cost per week will be only $5!

If you already have a track bike, bring it along. If not, don’t worry, we will lend you one.

Very important: Please PM myself or Lindsay to let us know if you’re interested in coming along and also tell us what shoe/ pedal system you are currently using so that we can make sure you are best set-up on the day.
Although the course is aimed at the beginner, I would encourage all those ladies who regularly ride track to come along to encourage and support the newbies :)

See you all soon!

Rainbow

megatron

Postby megatron » 22 Mar 2011, 07:52

Sounds good!

Will this be held at Tempe or Dunc Gray?

Lizanne

Postby Lizanne » 22 Mar 2011, 08:24

i'm in!
although i ride track, i am sadly lacking skills.
and is it ok if i bring along a girl from the speed skating team? she wants to get into track riding as a bit of cross training but is too scaired to come down on a wed and jump on like i do.

Rainbow

Postby Rainbow » 22 Mar 2011, 15:09

This will be held at home: Tempe Velodrome.

Lizanne, you may bring a friend but it's important she gets a "ride it" license for all insurance purposes.

Looking forward to having you both there, Liz and Megatron :)

AliG

Postby AliG » 22 Mar 2011, 21:43

Sounds great! I don't have a track bike and my shoes are Shimano SPD mountain bike shoes. I don't have any track/road shoes, but could bring some compatible pedals along if that helps!

Rainbow

Postby Rainbow » 23 Mar 2011, 05:27

Hi Ali,
Great to hear from you! Yes, we will loan you a bike and your shoes and pedals (please bring) will be just fine.
See you Saturday week!
Rainbow

Trouty

Postby Trouty » 23 Mar 2011, 06:21

Hey Jess,

Happy to help or do whatever is required, but the first weekend for April Stu and I will be away, so I will catch you on the next one. Great idea.

Rainbow

Postby Rainbow » 23 Mar 2011, 16:19

Thanks Jo,
Would love for you to come help out and show off your track prowess.
Jess

Lizanne

Postby Lizanne » 25 Mar 2011, 09:38

I'm going to be out of action for 3-4 weeks. so i'm more than happy to lend my bike/shoes/encouragement untill i get the all clear to jump back on the bike.

Rainbow

Postby Rainbow » 25 Mar 2011, 18:50

Hi Lizanne,
Sorry to hear you're not well and I hope you make a speed recovery.
We will most certainly require your encouragement and cheer.

colin

Postby colin » 28 Mar 2011, 10:08

Hey Jess,

is it OK to bring Cailtin down for a spin around the track with the women?

Colin

Rainbow

Postby Rainbow » 28 Mar 2011, 16:47

Hooray! Bring my favourite Caitlin down! Yay!

Rainbow

Postby Rainbow » 02 Apr 2011, 10:32

Just a reminder that this starts today! 2pm!
Plus, it will be on rain, hail or shine.
See you there!

Eleri

Postby Eleri » 02 Apr 2011, 15:29

Good to see so many women down at the track this afternoon and everyone got to ride up on the bank. Excellent introductory session Jessica!! Great work in pullling it all together :)

Rainbow

Postby Rainbow » 03 Apr 2011, 06:53

A fabulous turn-out yesterday, with 10 riders - 4 completely new to DHBC - some stepping up from Saturday Slowies and some more regular riders getting into or back to track too!

We started by setting up a bicycle for each lady to ride for themselves. We discussed the distinct features of a track bike - having a fixed wheel and no brakes! The importance of continuous pedalling and starting and stopping a track bike.

Then we hopped onto the warm-up track. Practising starting and stopping off from the fence and then getting rolling onto the flat part of the velodrome. Michele P gave some wonderful demonstrations of the speeds at which are required to stay upright on the banking, riding in a straight line and then leading the ladies up high on the track. Much fun was had by all!

I loved watching everyone's confidence grow, and their desire to get up onto the banking.

We had a diverse bunch of riders, from those regular Sunday riders, to Saturday slowies, one speed skater and 2 who most often ride a bicycle in a spin class, all putting in a grand effort. Plus a special note to our yongest rider, Caitlin, at 9 and a half years old!

We have a couple of bikes still available for others who are interested to come and join in next week too!
Plus the highly recommended Thursday night rollers!! 7 to 8pm sharp.

Give me a call or send me an email if you have any questions.

A big thanks to our mechanics, Linsday and Simon for helping get the ladies set up on bikes, a big thanks to EMT for assistance - encouragement and key advice, and to Karzie for being the Official Photographer *note, photos to come.

See you all soon,
Jessica

Karzie

Postby Karzie » 03 Apr 2011, 12:15

CAITLIN & Colin

Shenay & Alison

Linda & Shenay

Jo

Kylie

Linda

Shenay

Jess layin' down the law
Last edited by Karzie on 03 Apr 2011, 23:18, edited 2 times in total.

Trouty

Postby Trouty » 03 Apr 2011, 12:35

Well done Jess, Simon and Lindsay. Looks like it was a good day. One day we may even have enough for a woman's race at the DHBC Omnium.

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 03 Apr 2011, 18:28

Great going. Melissa has emailed me, real pleased with the session

AliG

Postby AliG » 03 Apr 2011, 22:29

Jess, it was a great idea to run this course. Despite our initial reluctance to let go of the rail, it was much more fun than daunting in the end. Thanks Lindsay, Jess, Simon and Eleri. And good work finding some new riders, Mike and Lizanne!
Alison (who, judging from the photo captions, is now blonde!)

Karzie

Postby Karzie » 03 Apr 2011, 23:17

Alison (who, judging from the photo captions, is now blonde!)
I have this great wizard tool in Photoshop called "Make Blond".

geoff m

Postby geoff m » 04 Apr 2011, 19:42

Jess and all involved. Looked like a great day. Well done!

Rainbow

Postby Rainbow » 10 Apr 2011, 12:37

Dear DHBC Ladies,

Wow, what a wonderful Saturday at the Velodrome. With perfect weather and an even bigger turn-out than last week. I have counted 15 people from yesterday and their are still bikes available for anyone else who would like to come along!

Yesterday everyone got onto the track and started their warm-ups after firstly revisiting the core basic skills learnt last week. The new starters had their introduction and then were off to a fantastic whirl around the track.

Everyone learnt the important skill of "starts". Joanne gave us all a lesson in posture and strength required and one by one everyone had a go. It was wonderful seeing the personal growth made by all from being quite nervous in the beginning to really giving it a go. Everyone looked pretty pleased with themselves and all lined up for multiple turns.
This is a pretty challenging skill to get the hang of and everyone did so well at staying focused and really putting some power into it!

I have an exciting program planned for us next week, there will be a lot more time spent riding around the track and refining our handling skills.

Don't forget - rollers this Thursday night from 7 to 8pm, best to arrive 10 mins early to get set up. You only need to bring yourselves and your cycling gear as this training is done in a secure and stationary position. In this session you learnt leg speed and develops your cardiovascular fitness at an incredible rate - seriously! And the best part is it is at your own speed and ability, and if you are feeling a bit tired you can just spin your legs around and concentrate on the full revolution on a fixed wheel bike.

Great to see people looking into getting some cycling shoes, and again, if you haven't got a pair yet, come and chat with me about it, cycling shoes make such a difference.

Congratulations to Eleri for getting her new track bike! What a pretty one it is!

A big thank you to our helpers: Joanne, Camilla, Eleri, Simon and Lindsay - great job. If you're keen I would love your assistance again next week. If anyone else would like to help out too, please drop me a line.

Looking forward to next week, see you all then!
Jessica

Trouty

Postby Trouty » 11 Apr 2011, 05:47

A big thank you to our helpers: Joanne, Camilla, Eleri, Simon and Lindsay - great job. If you're keen I would love your assistance again next week. If anyone else would like to help out too, please drop me a line.

Looking forward to next week, see you all then!
Jessica
Hey Jess, Stuart and I are away in the mountains next weekend, but I will help on the other weeks I am here if you need me. I will keep you posted anyway.

Simon Llewellyn

Postby Simon Llewellyn » 11 Apr 2011, 22:31

This event is really getting a great turnout with new riders every week. Excellent to see!

Trouty

Postby Trouty » 12 Apr 2011, 09:58

This event is really getting a great turnout with new riders every week. Excellent to see!

Surprising that some people that had turned up hadn't even rode on a road bike, and only done spin class - so congrat's to them as that is a gutsy move. Congratulations to Jess who certainly had her work cut out for her. All the girls did really well.

Eleri

Postby Eleri » 12 Apr 2011, 20:16

Excellent to see Gloria at the track last night too!

Jess organised us - that is a few women and newbie blokes - last night. We claimed the bottom of the track, got into a few pacelines and practised changes and everyone did really well. By the end of the night we were getting some nice even riding.

Lizanne

Postby Lizanne » 13 Apr 2011, 13:20

has anyone checked this out?

http://www.cycling.org.au/default.asp?ID=42070

might be good to pay coaches/track use bbq other

Rainbow

Postby Rainbow » 16 Apr 2011, 07:48

Dear DHBC Ladies,

A big reminder that today is week 3 down at Tempe Velodrome - and yes, it is on rain, hail or shine.

See you all there!

Jessica

Rainbow

Postby Rainbow » 17 Apr 2011, 12:44

Week 3

Well, what a fantastic turn-out!
We had 9 ladies come along for the most civilised rollers/ mag-trainer workout ever. Linda brought along her stereo with some fabulous latin tunes to tantilise our ears while everyone worked hard during the session.
A couple of ladies tried out the rollers for the first time and learnt how much effort and concentration is required.
We started off with a warm-up, followed by 12 successive sprints and then 3 burning heart-rates. Everyone put in a great effort and the award for the fastest legs of the day went to new rider, Dayna.

Just to let you all know that we will break over Easter and there will be no training for the next 2 weekends.

Training will continue on Saturday the 7th of May at the usual time of 2pm.

All other training will continue over Easter and there are even a few other rides you can all go along to, make sure you check the forum.

Tips to think about and work on:
1. Keep pedaling - when you are out and about on your bike, picture being on your track bike and think about making nice even pedal-strokes, round and round.
2. Keep your heels down - think about your foot being in a horizontal position and driving downwards with your heel.
3. Thursday rollers - Come along to Thursday rollers sessions. These sessions improve fitness and help you to work on technique without being on the track, you can really let loose and give it all you've got in a safe environment. Yes, bring a towel, it does get quite hot!

See you all in a few weeks and happy easter!

Karzie

Postby Karzie » 17 Apr 2011, 21:18

Gloria

Eleri

Aimee

Jo & Dayna

Lizanne and BoomBox

Rain Spin Session

Jess "La mecánica del arco iris"

Los mecánicos dos

El mecánico
Last edited by Karzie on 03 May 2011, 09:20, edited 1 time in total.

Rainbow

Postby Rainbow » 02 May 2011, 06:43

Dear DHBC Ladies,

Week 4 is commencing this Saturday!
2pm at the infamous Tempe Velodrome: rain, hail or shine!

Don't forget if you have any questions, send me an email or give me a call.
And don't forget that rollers is on this Thursday from 7 to 8pm.

Looking forward to seeing you all Saturday!

Rainbow

JoTheBuilder

Postby JoTheBuilder » 02 May 2011, 16:52

See you there Jess!

And I would just like to reiterate the previous comments and say what a fantastic course it has been so far and thank you to everyone for helping out, especially Jess.

Jo

orphic

Postby orphic » 02 May 2011, 16:55

When I am in Sydney on a Saturday one of these days I would love to attend. I just don't know when that will be :(

PS - In reference to the photos above, Amy is actually Aimee ;)

Karzie

Postby Karzie » 03 May 2011, 09:21

Fixed. Sorry Aimee

Rainbow

Postby Rainbow » 06 May 2011, 07:35

Dear DHBC Ladies,

Just a reminder that we will be back at the Velodrome tomorrow - Saturday at 2pm - rain, hail or shine!

Looking foreward to seeing you all there!

Rainbow

Rainbow

Postby Rainbow » 07 May 2011, 19:00

Week 4 update

Dear DHBC Ladies,

What an amazing Saturday! With the sun shining and our skills developing, we were able to get onto the track and learn some more drills and practise our techniques.

With our usual mechanics away this weekend, our newly appointed club treasurer Christian came and helped out. Thanks Christian!

To start with, everyone hopped onto the track and got their legs warmed-up. Following this we had two pacelines going and we discussed the techniques involved in staying a safe distiance whilst still benefiting from drafting.

Next we learnt how to do whistle sprints. I articulated with my ever-improving vocabulary how we were to do this drill, with such words as "uppy downey" the track until the whistle blows and then we went flying down the banking in a full blown sprint until the whistle sounded and then back to the "uppy downies".

Most people were thoroughly exhausted by 3:30pm with only 3 wanting/ able to do more. The remaining 3 did a few more whistle sprints and then we went over to the back straight and practiced some starts. We practised on alternating legs until we learnt which was our strongest or steadiest and then finished the day off with a timed one-lap-screamer, which is one lap of the velodrome from a standing start. Both Alison and Dayna had the same time of 35 seconds and Catilin did a fantastic 51 seconds.

A big congratulations to everyone for putting in so much effort, it was so great to see you all flying around the track!

So this puts us half-way through the program, with four more weeks to go I am excited by how much more we will get to learn and grow.
For those of you who have missed a few weeks, do not despair, just come and ride your bike!
For those of you who are yet to come and have a go, we still have bikes available and four more weeks of fun to be had!

Don't forget, rollers in on this Thursday night from 7-8pm. Sorry to all who turned up last week as it wasn't on due to the AGM

See you next week!

Rainbow :)

Adrian E

Postby Adrian E » 08 May 2011, 11:36

Hi Jess,
Pia is in Perth for the next few weeks so she'll miss out on the rest of the program. I don't know what you said to her at the track, but it worked. She went out and bought shoes and pedals a few weeks ago and did her first century ride while we were in cowra over easter.

Rainbow

Postby Rainbow » 08 May 2011, 17:06

Hi Adrian,
That's sooo cool! I look forward to seeing her back at the track soon.
Say hi from me :)

Rainbow

Postby Rainbow » 12 May 2011, 21:19

Dear DHBC Ladies,

It's week 5 this Saturday and I have lots of fun planned out for us.
Make sure you are ready to get on the track by 2pm.
Also there will be a club Omnium on starting at 4pm. For those of you who have a race license, feel free to join in. For those who do not yet, stick around and watch the fun! You will be able to see the different events held on the velodrome and watch everyone wear themselves out - myself included.

Until Saturday!

Rainbow

Rainbow

Postby Rainbow » 15 May 2011, 16:43

Dear DHBC Ladies,

Well yesterday was the 5th week of the Introductory Women's Track Cycling program. We were blessed with incredible weather and a great turn-out.

I have really noticed everyone's enthusiasm growing for the sport. Most people now have their own cycling shoes and pedals and I can see this having a direct impact on the confidence and performance of each and every rider. I am also noticing a fear of the unknown with regards to trying out being clipped into the pedals and the relief that everyone has once they have "bitten the bullet" so to speak.

Getting started took a little longer than expected yesterday, this was largely due to little mechanical changes and set-ups. Just a reminder to those who may have some things they would like to update or that need work on, or if you would like to have a go of the rollers before we hop on to the track, I wioll be down there from 1:30pm setting up. You are welcome to tinker around then (but not actually be on the track).

We started off with some general paceline practise to get everyones legs warmed up.

Next we learnt about the event called an "Italian Pursuit". In this event you have 2 teams of an even number. Each rider does one lap and sacrifices themselves for the sake of those behind them. It is a tricky event because you need to listen to your team and make sure that you are doing the best thing by everyone involved so that at the end of the day your team wins the race. Each and every person in this race is important to the teams success.

The teams were split according to my perceptions of everyone's strengths and each rider was given a number which correlated to their position in the race. In the first trial of the race everyone was finding their feet and learning what was expected of them. Then we ran the ran a second time - during thisrace everyone worked extrremely well together and it was a very close finish, so much so that I cannot remember who came first! Everyone was decided to have one last go at the race and some people expressed a desire to change their starting position - this interested me a lot. With the new starting position it seem that most cohesion was lost, most people were more worn out than before, one person rode off the front of the race leaving everyone behind, one team was completely strung out and I saw one rider race 4 laps into the wind by themselves. I loved this! It showed that positioning and communication are key to a great finish.

Lastly we finished off with some timed "1 lap screamers". These are 1 lap of the velodrome from a standing start as fast as you can go. Lizanne had the fastest time of the day at 32 seconds and Dayna and Alison both made a new pb of 34 seconds. Impressively everyone else did fantastic laps of 35 and 36 seconds and our yongest rider of 9 years old, Caitlin did her lap in 59 seconds... after having fallen off twice on the banking! Caitlin is the toughest 9 year old I know!

I have been trying to find some interesting videos on youtube for you to have a look at. The first one was taken in Sydney at the Dunc Gray Velodrome at RAW (Race All Winter - which is a racing series which will be starting shortly). In this video you get a close up view of one riders bottom, but... what you see if an Italian Pursuit. It starts off with perhaps 20 riders on the team and one by one they do their lap and then pull off the front. Anyway, something a little interesting :) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZt4GawuJV8

Oh and I found these videos too...
This is a 1 lap Screamer, also at RAW. This is the first time that the riders in this race have ever ridden on this velodrome. At RAW there is a grade for first time riders called "Novice Grade". It's pretty cool. And Anthony Pham from our club is even in this race. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_oYJhCzr52w

And I found this one, for us all to aspire to be able to do (in my dreams!). Anna Meares doing a 500metre Time Trial, breakes the world record in Athens with 33.952 seconds. Keeping in mind that our timed laps were over 333metres! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WiPbO5Tx ... FB3AB807AE

I have great plans for us next week, so be ready to start at 2pm so we can get lots of riding in.

See you all there!

Rainbow

scully

Postby scully » 21 May 2011, 15:58

Flying 200 times
Jess 15.47 15.41
Lizanne 14.59 14.22
Alison 16.99 16.19
Caitlin 33.46 33.75
Kylie 16.84 17.53
Jo 16.57 16.53

Sinead 19.47
Zeke 28.50 32.54

Rainbow

Postby Rainbow » 22 May 2011, 08:09

Dear DHBC Ladies,
Well that was an incredible Saturday, I cannot believe how much we achieved!
Today we had a total of 9 riders and 8 spectators, who also doubled as assistants, timekeepers, mechanics, lap-board turners, photographers, domestiques and parents.

We started off the day with a paceline to get our legs warmed up and then we learnt about "Flying 200's". They are the first event in an Omnium Race and this seeds the riders in the competition.
This link details the 6 events which make an Omnium: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Omnium

After this we all had a go at testing our legs and our speed. Everyone did really well and had some fantastic timed results for a first go. A big thanks to Dayna our sick rider- turned timer, for noting down all our results.

Lizanne had the fastest legs of the day with a Flying 200 of 14.21 seconds, woo hoo!

Next we had a brief introduction to a scratch race and then tried our legs at a 6 lap race. This was a whole lot of fun and I think everyone got a taste of what to expect. We all started off nicely together with Jo and Allison controlling the race. With 2 laps to go, Lizanne decided to put down the power from the back and went around everyone and escaped from the front. I though it would be silly to chase so I hopped back in behind Jo and Allison again until we passed the 1 lap to go sign, I started to move around toward the front and then escaped myself. I was closing in on Lizanne but she beat me by a wheel. A fantastic race and a congratulations to everyone for having a go!
A big thanks to the Llewellyns for masterring the lap board.

Next we went up to the grand-stand and put all our bikes on the trainers. We did 10 no-resistance-sprints and then put a little resistance on and did 3 heart-rates. It was great to see everyone's legs spinning so fast and the award for the hardest worker goes to Caitlin - I would also like to nominate her for some aggressive rider points for this effort!

A big congratulations to everyone, you have all improved so much and your handling skills and confidence has grown astronomically! I am lookg forward to our 2 remaining weeks of track. Please note that next week there is a double birthday and as such, we are holding an Omnium afterwards, plus a seafood BBQ! You are welcome to stick around and watch, plus join in on the BBQ. Bring your own food/ food to contribute and we'll have a party. If you have a race license you are welcome to join in.

See you all next week - the following link has some fun photos on it from yesterday.

Rainbow

http://www4.snapfish.com.au/snapfishau/ ... =SALBlink/

Simon Llewellyn

Postby Simon Llewellyn » 23 May 2011, 17:53

Those are some excellent photos!!!

Stuart

Postby Stuart » 23 May 2011, 21:07

Those are some excellent photos!!!
I can't see the photos at all, just a 'create an account' page ?

Rainbow

Postby Rainbow » 24 May 2011, 06:29

I can't see the photos at all, just a 'create an account' page ?
Can somebody other that my computer please try the link again? If it doesn't work I will use a different site.
Thanks

Lizanne

Postby Lizanne » 24 May 2011, 08:23

it worked after you created the account

Stuart

Postby Stuart » 24 May 2011, 12:54

it worked after you created the account
But I don't want an account, just want to see the photo's - maybe use Photobucket or Picasa or Flickr

scully

Postby scully » 24 May 2011, 15:28

patn

Postby patn » 25 May 2011, 09:15

flying 200's, scratch race, then no resistance sprints, then heart rates - and I thought
this was an 'introduction' to velodrome cycling program - you lot are hardcore! awesome!

Rainbow

Postby Rainbow » 25 May 2011, 19:33

flying 200's, scratch race, then no resistance sprints, then heart rates - and I thought
this was an 'introduction' to velodrome cycling program - you lot are hardcore! awesome!
Yup, they are amazing! Though hands up how many people could walk on Sunday? (Lizanne, you don't count!)

Lizanne

Postby Lizanne » 26 May 2011, 08:32

naw, i was hurtin'
you can make those sprints as hard as you want, and i really pushed myself :mrgreen:

orphic

Postby orphic » 26 May 2011, 08:34

Yeah, sounds totally hardcore!

Another weekend that I won't be in Sydney in the afternoon to come to this :( Do many of the girls do slowies? I would love to meet some new faces (and catch up with some I haven't seen in yonks!)

Rainbow

Postby Rainbow » 29 May 2011, 16:20

Week #7 update:

What a truely incredible day, to see how far everyone has come along was so exciting to watch... literally! I was jumping up and down on the side lines screaming as they raced past, all trying to out-maneuvering each other and get into the best position, ready for the attack.

We started off by a little rollers - Aimee didn't know that I had let her go and she excellently rode for 15 minutes before she realised I wasn't holding her bike. A little each week is really paying off for those who have dared to brave them.

Everyone warmed their legs by starting with some pacelines and then the lap board was set up, with 30 laps put on the board, a scratch race was on. It was a great race. Everyone was told to stay together for the first 5 laps, with permission for chaos after this but with the key feature that noone was allowed to drop out, but they were allowed to get dropped. After this initial 5 laps, Lizanne leapt off the front, lapping the field in around teo laps. She did it with such ease. This left the bunch to completely fracture with riders singularily splayed around the track and everyone realising how hard it is to ride as an individual, rather than a group. Eventually the group formed 2 bunches and it stayed like this until the end. The race finished in this order: 1. Lizanne, 2. Sinead, 3. Aimee, 4. Alison, 5. Jo, 6. Dayna, 7. Linda, 8. Zeke
I would also like to nominate some agressive rider points to the seemingly timid Sinead, who sped around the bunch on junior gearing (as this is how the bike is set up) to finish second.
Also to Zeke who at 7 years old caught the bunch twice with his long legs flying!

Next everyone had a go of a 500 metre time trial (though I think it could have been around 510 metres). This was everyone's first time at the event. Here are the times:
Jo: 53.19, Linda: 59.53, Lizanne: 46.72, Dayna: 54.22, Aimee: 51.47, Sinead: 53.02, Alison: 53.41, and Zeke: 124.03 - who just for the record is 7 years old!

Thirdly we learnt about a "miss'n'out" race, also more formally named an "Elimination Race". This is where the last rider to go over the finish line each lap around the velodrome is eliminated from the race. We had two goes of this race. The first one every got a feel for riding around the track going up the banking in order to sprint and position themselves so that they are not last over the line. This took a bit of getting used to with regards to confidence etc., but on the second time around, everyone was thinking and acting extremely tactically, which was so much fun to see. Camilla and I were jumping up and down on the side-line, wishing we had joined them too. What a race!

Everyone looked aptly sore legged and tired and excited by the end of our time.
A big thanks to all who helped, our lap-board turner, time-keeper, mechanic, commessaire, fans and bell riger Caitlin. And a big sorry to Caitlin whos bike has some much needed repairs by next weekend, hopefully we will get that sorted for you ASAP!

Plus a big thanks for spoiling me with flowers and such a fun BBQ. Until next week, I have some more excellent and fun events planned - so until then, have fun!

Simon Llewellyn

Postby Simon Llewellyn » 29 May 2011, 17:52

Well done to all the Ladies who have taken part in this 8 week introduction program. The progress which has been made in such a short peroid of time has been really excellent to see.

A big congratulations to Jessica on running and organising this event and coming up with something new and exciting every week to meet the needs of a variety of different levels of experience of skill and ability. It is never easy to come up with the ideas for a program such as this one. I can vouch for this, Very excellent!

One of the best things to come out of this program has been the new levels of enthusiasm which have been brought down to the track as a result. Last Thursday I learnt something totally new at training with lizanne, Amee and andrew at rollers. We did six heart rates and 60 no resistance sprints. Whilst males normally don't say a word during heart rates, ride as hard as they can with their mouths open then complain the whole way through the 10 sprints, women completely talk for the whole five minutes during the heart rate not missing any opportunity get an extra word in but then go completely quiet during the 10 sprints like magic their mouth just ceal shut. It was the totally opposite experience and somehow made training go quicker even though it actually took 20 minutes longer!!!

Rainbow

Postby Rainbow » 05 Jun 2011, 15:48

Dear DHBC Ladies,

Saturday saw in the final week of the Women's Introduction to Velodrome Cycling Program. A big thanks and congratulations to all who participated. You have all excelled beyond my expectations and I can see that you have all formed some fantastic friendships along the way.

It was impressive to see that everyone now is riding with cycling shoes and pedals and are comfortably moving around the velodrome as well as up and down the banking. Speeding up and slowing safely, all out sprinting and riding around with people all around them, and for most of the ladies they have had a maximum of 8 goes on the velodrome which goes to show how much they have all achieved!

Here is what we got up to yesterday:
We started off with a 60 lap points race. We discussed the important things first:
1. there will be a sprint every 10 laps.
2. Points are given to the first 4 placings in each sprint and are awarded as 5, 3, 2, and 1.
3. You win the race by having the most accumulated points at the end of the race.
4. If you lap the field you will get 20 points.
5. If you are lapped you loose 20 points.
6. This race is one race in an Omnium and as such you must finish the race to complete an Omnuim. Therefore if you are feeling tired take a lap or two out of the racce and then jump in again when you are a little fresher.

Everyone completed the race! This was my favourite part. Camilla feined an injury prior to the race to trick us all and then proceeded to attempt to take a lap on us all and in turn won herself some valuable points. I must have been napping as I was concentrating so hard on the wheels I was following that I didn't see this happen at all! I could hear Joanne telling us that we needed to "push the pace" and that she was "tiring", but I had no idea what she was talking about. In relfection on the event, it all makes perfect sense now. Everyone rode extremely well and all looked satisfyingly pooped afterwards, as such we had a nice sit-down and chat all about it post-race to recover.

Next we talked about all different events that happen in an Omnuim, as well as what to expect at RAW (Race All Winter). Then we tried out of the the races at RAW called the "1 Lap Screamer". This is a 3 up sprint event which is only 1 lap long. There were some interesting results. Dayna blew her group away, demonstrating her sprinting prowess and Sinead showed her skills by making a comeback after a slow start and pipped Linda right on the line.

Well, that's it for now. We will be having a women's only practise Omnuim on Saturday the 25th of June. I hope you can all make it. We will starting at 1pm, so be there and be ready. There will also be a general club Omnium starting afterwards at 4pm. This is called the International Omnium where people will be riding for a specific country and will be bringing a plate of food from this country. if you would like to come along, watch/ ride (if you have a race license), you are welcome to join us. Also bring a plate and join in on the feast!!!!!

I am planning to run another beginners track program after RAW/ after winter, i hope you can all come along and show off your skills and help the new group too.

Also I hope you all think about coming along to mid-week training. My favourite nights are Wednesdays and Thursdays. On Wednesdays there are more newer riders practising drills such as starts and if we're lucky we may even get to do pace-lines behind the motorbike too! Wednesdays are from 6:30 till 8:30pm and on Thursdays it's rollermania, with Lindsays expert training regime. I call it the get-fit-fast session. Here you can also get some practise in on the rollers and learn more about pedal-stroke etc.

Don't forget about RAW - if you get a race license then come along and join your fellow club members and try out the Dunc Gray Velodrome! See what it's like riding on polished floorboards on 42 degree banking. Don't forget there is a fabulous grade called Novice, which is designed for new track riders.

Stay in contact and I hope to see you all continuing to whirl around the Velodrome.
A big thanks to Simon, Lindsay, Christian, Colin, Kevin, Ian, Francis Lizanne and to anyone else who I've missed who helped out, and a big thanks for the pressies :)

Rainbow

scully

Postby scully » 05 Jun 2011, 17:06

I don't think Camilla was faking. Maybe it was the new position she was trying?

Trouty

Postby Trouty » 05 Jun 2011, 18:20

I don't think Camilla was faking. Maybe it was the new position she was trying?
I think she just wanted to stick her breasts out personally.

Actually it was a fun afternoon and I was amazed to see how far the girls had come since I saw them in week 2 or week 1. Keep riding ladies and congrats to Jesse and all the rest who have managed to get more woman on the track.

scully

Postby scully » 08 Jun 2011, 15:48

O.k ladies please watch this motivational video then add your name to the list 8)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7PSeEuu6pW4

Newbie women going to RAW
1.Dayna

Lizanne

Postby Lizanne » 08 Jun 2011, 15:56

1.Dayna
2. Lizanne!!!

Stuart

Postby Stuart » 08 Jun 2011, 16:20

OK - so take a look here for some track racing inspiration this is the DHBC Track Racing Promo Video

See the DHBC homepage Video's for more track action

The 2010 RAW Track Promo Video part 1

The 2010 RAW Track Promo Video part 2 Crafty stole our track racing theme song too .

Here's a DGV track video with some familiar DHBC women in it

Get on down there girls and lets get DHBC the teams title for the third year running

Rainbow

Postby Rainbow » 08 Jun 2011, 17:04

I love how Lizanne gets 3 exclamation marks!!!

1.Dayna
2. Lizanne!!!
3. Jessica (I know I'm not new but I wanted my name here)

Lizanne

Postby Lizanne » 09 Jun 2011, 08:29

ya i'm all excited

AliG

Postby AliG » 09 Jun 2011, 23:20

1.Dayna
2. Lizanne!!!
4. Alison (?)

I'll come if/when the tendon on my knee settles down. Has anyone had that? Running is no problem, but cycling is now almost too painful to do and I'm worried about my good knee, as I seem to have started pedalling with only one leg now. Any suggestions on what may work?

Rainbow

Postby Rainbow » 10 Jun 2011, 06:43

Hi Alison,
Where in your knee, front, back, side? It's possibly as issue of set-up, but you really need to not ride at all for it to settle down.

For those who are coming along, I highly suggest you get yourself some fancy tyres which are stickier than the current standard issue on your bikes. Dunc Gray Velodrome is made from polished floorboards and is more slippery than Tempe. I have Continental Supersonics. I have had them on my bike for 3 years now and they are still going well. I bought mine here in Australia, they were pricey but from memory around $80ish. If you are thinking of enquiring at a bike shop about tyres, make sure you talk to someone who rides at Dunc Gray. Eg Tank at Cell Bikes will give you a good deal and gives great advice.

Stuart

Postby Stuart » 10 Jun 2011, 08:58

I'll come if/when the tendon on my knee settles down. Has anyone had that? Running is no problem, but cycling is now almost too painful to do and I'm worried about my good knee, as I seem to have started pedalling with only one leg now. Any suggestions on what may work?
I agree with Jess that it's likely to be bike fit that's the problem. You can spend some serious $$ getting a proper bike fit but it may save you lots of discomfort in the long run and allow you to keep riding.

orphic

Postby orphic » 10 Jun 2011, 11:49

Hey Alison

As above bike fit can definately be a problem. You could spend lots of money on a professional fit, or you could use the wealth of knowledge around the bike club to get the fit right for you too. Playing around with your saddle height and fore/aft (how far forward the saddle sits on the rails) can help to relieve pain. I have found my knee is very particular about all of this - if my saddle now moves back by more than 1mm I get instant pain!

Would be happy to have a chat to you about it down at the track sometime to share some of my experiences with getting things right to avoid knee pain, especially before you go spending dollars on something that might be a simple fix. My sister Aimee also had knee/leg pain when she started and she's been getting this sorted out with an Osteo as it's due to tight surrounding muscles. Maybe it runs in our family...

Cheers
Victoria

Trouty

Postby Trouty » 10 Jun 2011, 11:57

To the newbie girls that don't have a track bike. I know of a Hillbrick bike for sale that used to be Michele Crawfords old bike. It has durace cranks and carbon bars. I think the price is around about the $950. Refer to for Sale section for picture, price and details.
Last edited by Trouty on 11 Jun 2011, 07:22, edited 1 time in total.

Stuart

Postby Stuart » 10 Jun 2011, 17:44

@AliG Read this post from bike fit guru Steve Hogg >> How to avoid bike fit hell

He's expense, but aren't all good things? 8) You know, like dinner at Quay or a bottle of Ata Rangi Pinot.

I can highly recommend his services, as can many others from DHBC (oh, and Olympians, track world champs and various other fast people).

Trouty

Postby Trouty » 10 Jun 2011, 18:38

@AliG Read this post from bike fit guru Steve Hogg >> How to avoid bike fit hell

He's expense, but aren't all good things? 8) You know, like dinner at Quay or a bottle of Ata Rangi Pinot.

I can highly recommend his services, as can many others from DHBC (oh, and Olympians, track world champs and various other fast people).
I think each to his own, if you have the budget, and especially if you are in pain - why not. If you think can't afford it, then there are probably better things to spend money on.
Last edited by Trouty on 13 Jun 2011, 06:24, edited 2 times in total.

AliG

Postby AliG » 10 Jun 2011, 21:58

Thanks, everyone. I really like Steve's idea of recording - at the moment, I have absolutely no idea why I am pain free for a couple of weeks, then it's painful for a few weeks. I don't know if the track race on Saturday afternoon or almost 100km on Sunday was the problem this time. But if I keep track of what I do and on what bike, it might start to make sense... I saw a physio today, who changed the position of the tendon with tape (Jess, it's the patella tendon, just below my knee) and suggested an easy ride tomorrow to see if taping helps. So, a very cruisy Saturday slowies for me tomorrow to test it. And then rest! And if all else fails, I'll book myself in for a bike fitting.
Funnily enough, soccer is no problem. It seems that my knee can cope with a reasonable load, as long as my leg is relatively straight.

Rainbow

Postby Rainbow » 11 Jun 2011, 08:08

What an annoying place to have knee pain! I hope it all gets better soon.

JoTheBuilder

Postby JoTheBuilder » 12 Jun 2011, 19:46

1.Dayna
2. Lizanne!!!
4. Alison (?)
5. Jo Skinner

Though I can't make this week unfortunately as I have St. Brigid's Marrickville trivia night. Alison, do you still want a lift for the following week? We will need to pick up the bikes from the track, perhaps on Thursday night?

AliG

Postby AliG » 14 Jun 2011, 19:53

Jo, if my knee if better by then, a lift would be great. If not, I'll still come and cheer.

Rainbow

Postby Rainbow » 24 Jun 2011, 06:50

**REMINDER**

We will be having a women's only practise Omnuim on Saturday the 25th of June. I hope you can all make it. We will starting at 1pm, so be there and be ready. There will also be a general club Omnium starting afterwards at 4pm. This is called the International Omnium where people will be riding for a specific country and will be bringing a plate of food from this country. if you would like to come along, watch/ ride (if you have a race license), you are welcome to join us. Also bring a plate and join in on the feast!!!!!

Looking forward to seeing you all there for some more Tempe fun!

Rainbow

Postby Rainbow » 26 Jun 2011, 14:18

Hi Ladies,
Great work to all who participated in the training omnium event held yesterday. It was great to see you all on the velodrome and I hope that you all continue to come to training throughout the winter months. Don't forget that some of the best training you can get is at Lindsays Thursday night Rollermania - 7pm to 8pm sharp. Get fit for summer so that we can all participate with great results for the Summer Racing Season!!!

The Omnium - results
Flying 200:
1. Lizanne
2. Camilla 15.08
3. Jessica 15.49
4. Dayna 16.33
5. Alison 16.46
6. Kylie 17.30
7. Caitlin 29.55

Comment: Whoa, Lizanne! I told Lizanne that I wanted a handicap for myself and requested that she race this above the red line. She did and this was the result. What a woman! And yes, I rode in the sprinters lane. Imagine what she could achieve...

Scratch Race - 15 laps
1. Lizanne
2. Camilla
3. Alison
4. Dayna
5. Kylie
6. Caitlin

Elimination Race - 4 laps
1. Lizanne
2. Alison
3. Camilla
4. Dayna
5. Kylie

Points Race - 20 laps
1. Camilla 15 points
2. Alison 9 points
3. Dayna 5 points
4. Kylie 4 points

500 metre time trial
1. Camilla 47.52
2. Alison 49.83
3. Dayna 50.86
4. Kylie 1:01.05
5. Caitlin 1:18.46
6. Zeke 1:24.93

Comment: When I was telling Zeke and Caitlin their respective times, Zeke at the young age of 7 told me that the reason why he was probably beaten by Caitlin (9 years old) was because his bike had wheel-chair wheels. The justification process starts young!

Great riding and thank you all for a wonderful afternnon in the glorious sunshine. If you are interested - we could run another Omnuim in the next month or so. Let me know.

Thanks,

Lizanne

Postby Lizanne » 27 Jun 2011, 08:36

... so fast i broke the timing device and the world stoped for a brief moment to gaze upon the speed

AliG

Postby AliG » 27 Jun 2011, 20:45

I really enjoyed it, Jess. I'd be part of another one. Thanks for organising it!

Hashtag

Postby Hashtag » 30 Jun 2012, 15:37

Just wondering if this might be run again?
One of the ladies told me how great it was, thought it would be fun to give it a go.
Thanks

Rainbow

Postby Rainbow » 30 Jun 2012, 19:49

Hi there,
I was looking to run this program again come September, but I must put it to the committee first for approval. Also will be looking for helpers...

JoTheBuilder

Postby JoTheBuilder » 02 Jul 2012, 09:08

I'd be happy to help Jess...

shrubb face

Postby shrubb face » 02 Jul 2012, 14:51

I can always help if required.

Eleri

Postby Eleri » 02 Jul 2012, 18:58

On the agenda for the committee meeting then!

Rainbow

Postby Rainbow » 03 Jul 2012, 08:24

I'd be happy to help Jess...
I can always help if required.
Fantastic! Wow we can have motor pace this year! Plus the more mechanics the merrier.

Any baby sitters out there? I have a whole bunch of new friends with young bubs who are keen to try the track. It's a whole new market.The babies are cute!

Return to “Track”