LACC/Wyatt Park - Friday 19/10 Junior race report...

For all things Velodrome
James Rogers

Postby James Rogers » 19 Oct 2012, 20:09

This is Taku, DHBC Junior, being helped by my able (and very handsome) stenographer, James.

I went to the LACC Spring Track racing at Wyatt Park, with Broughton, and his dad, John. It was kind of a spur of the moment thing for me, but I am glad that I did it...

First race was a scratch race, with six riders – two from DHBC (us) and four from LACC. It was four laps. I don't really remember this race because there was a 40 minute gap between runs [and my stenographer will not make any jokes about playing games on an iPod touch because I didn't bring it. Allegedly.]

The race after that was another scratch race, which was six laps with six riders (all the same). In this race, we were placed at the back, because we were starting off the fence. And, um, the start was a very dysfunctional paceline. Eventually, I came up in front, led the way... but then realised I was using too much energy in the second lap, so I sat up and waited for the others to come through. At the sprint lap, Broughton was leading, but might have been out on the front for too long and I noticed he was getting tired. Then on the last corner, I pulled up around, and it was four riders (including Broughton and I) sprinting for the finish line. It was pretty close, and Broughton came third, I came second and a LACC rider called Alex came first. He was small but fast.

The third race, was a Keirin paced by a senior rider. And it was six laps, all the same riders. We started with a warm-up lap while the senior rider came to the front. Our (DHBC) plan was that when the derny pulled off, I was going to lead Broughton out and get him to sprint to the finish. So around the third lap, I was back around three riders, and the derny was still in front. In the fourth lap the rider in front, pulled up and slowed, trying to slot in behind, but didn't seem to have the strength. This left a gap for Broughton to get onto my wheel. On the last lap, after the derny left, I sprinted hoping that Broughton would be on my wheel. Unfortunately before this, he was sandwiched into the inner part of the track and actually rolled onto the grass for a moment. I just couldn't stop because I knew I would lose the wheel of Alex who was in the front. So I kept on sprinting. I was pretty tired by this point, and just didn't have the puff to catch Alex. I came second and Broughton came third.

And that was it! I did enjoy it, but unfortunate that there was no prize money ;)

Taku.

Stuart

Postby Stuart » 21 Oct 2012, 10:48

Great report and some excellent riding by the sounds of it

rhys

Postby rhys » 21 Oct 2012, 16:10

Awesome work little dude! Glad to hear you had a good time.

Lizanne

Postby Lizanne » 22 Oct 2012, 07:57

tactics! nice

timyone

Postby timyone » 22 Oct 2012, 08:06

Love the report! The tactics sound hardcore!

James Rogers

Postby James Rogers » 26 Oct 2012, 19:52

Thanks everyone for the nice comments. This is Taku again.

Tonight we rode again at LACC, hoping to improve on last week's results.

The first race was a scratch race, and I forgot how many laps. We formed into a pace line. Broughton was second most of the way, and I ended up at the back trying to find a way back in. Two riders in front slowed, and I was sort of stuck behind them for a bit. Eventually those riders peeled off in front of me and I came to the front. I picked up the pace. I think I went a little too long on the front, but eventually peeled off and ended up the back again. Some of the people in front of me slowed, and there were only four riders in front of me including Broughton. When it came to the sprint lap, I felt a little tired, but at the last corner I managed to snag third, with Broughton taking out first. Alex from LACC came second.

The second race was basically a scratch race again, and our tactic was to try and get out the front, pick up the pace, and then roll off and sit behind the others. I generally stayed at the back most of the time, and the group yo-yo'd back and forth. On the second last lap, Broughton ended up stringing out the group and I sat behind another LACC junior. On the last lap the guy in front pulled up a little bit, and I attacked. At first I didn't think I was going to make it all the way. But I actually had made a fair gap between the group and myself. I didn't see what Broughton did, but after the race he told me he had slip-streamed one of the the other juniors, then attacked on the last corner. Alex from LACC came third, Broughton came second, and I came first.

I was pretty happy with the result, because it was much better than last week. I learnt that you should always time your attacks, and don't over-estimate how far and hard you can ride.

Eleri

Postby Eleri » 26 Oct 2012, 21:11

Nice work Taku and Broughton! Sounds like you are really learning a lot from getting some real race experience.

We've all got stuck on the front for too long. It really does teach you not to do it again.

Trouty

Postby Trouty » 27 Oct 2012, 04:56

Taku...how old are you? Your race reports are excellent and I really enjoy reading them. Keep up the great work. Well done on the track.

James Rogers

Postby James Rogers » 27 Oct 2012, 06:35

He's 12 (almost), race reports are dictated as soon as he gets home and I write down what he says. My intervention comes when grammar and punctuation are in need of correction... I also actively remove the word "eventually" as much as possible. At the end I ask sternly, "Now son, what did you learn". It bumps up my active parenting quota.

Taku says: (Actually typed by Taku this time!)
Thank you for all the comments. I definitely learnt that staying at the back is not the best idea, staying at the front is also not a great idea.I had a great time at lidcombe and i plan to race there next week. :D

bro

Postby bro » 30 Oct 2012, 16:49

Can't wait to get down there this Friday!!! :D

Lizanne

Postby Lizanne » 31 Oct 2012, 11:26

from the LACC newsletter

Last Friday night saw some great weather and some better racing. The juniors, who started racing at 6:30 pm, were finished their racing by 7:19 pm (save for the Junior A's who get to showcase their talents in one race in the senior program). Good fields were present in all divisions and we were pleased to see two DHBC boys, Taku and Broughton, racing in Junior A. They provided great competition for LACC rider Alexander and watching the three of them fighting it out was spectacular.

once again, congrats guys!

bro

Postby bro » 03 Nov 2012, 07:36

Race report for Friday My turn to do it now
First race was 4 lap scratch race there was only 1 LACC rider in the division we were in so only three riders racing we started of just trying not to take the lead then on the last lap I was in front Alex behind and taku at the back I Made a big mistake and pulled up putting me at the back when the sprint started luckily Alex pulled up to for some reason leaving taku in prime position to attack.
Which is what he did I was slowly but steadily coming over Alex when we when round the corner but the last corner is quite tight and you actually need to make a effort to turn the bike- you can't just let the bank carry you around. Not knowing this I swerved up a bit allowing him to to try to over take taku while I was stuck out on the outside
Nevertheless it was a close finish-taku got first Alex second and me last

bro

Postby bro » 03 Nov 2012, 07:42

Second race
Was 6 laps pretty uneventful until the last lap on the last lap when I pulled up and slowed down to got to the back of the paceline Alex was wasted so after a few moments of confusion I attacked and ended up winning with taku getting past Alex to claim second
Overall it was great racing and new tactic for next week-push the pace from the start and try to waste Alex he doesn't have as much stamina as us

timyone

Postby timyone » 03 Nov 2012, 08:12

Loving these race reports! Ygreat thinking in races!

Return to “Track”