DHBC Juniors Training, News and Statistics 23 Oct 2013

For all things Velodrome
colin

Postby colin » 25 Oct 2013, 11:12

Hi All,

This week’s newsletter is written by James

Hello Everyone,

I (James) got some neon socks this weekend. I hope everyone noticed them at training, because I am quite proud of them. Neon stuff was very popular when I was about 12, which might explain my moth-to-flame-like attraction to these socks.

A hot day, with haze from the bush fires still lurking in the atmosphere, it didn’t deter anyone it seems – with another big night rider-wise, with 31 juniors. It does get very tough for us to manage such a large number of riders. We will be making some changes in the coming weeks to start times, rider groups and numbers so that we can run more functional, targeted sessions.

Session Time Changes
From November, we will trail a new format, which will have group A's session changing to a 5pm start and 6pm finish. Group B and some Cs will be starting at 6pm until 7pm. Those that are already training with the seniors will continue to train with them, with a small cross-over at about 6:30pm.

We will start to set up a roster and ask for volunteers for the following jobs:
- someone to meet and greet new people
- setting up bikes, rollers/trainers, etc.
- a record keeper

Our plan is to bring numbers down in each session, so that we can better attend to each rider's needs. The start times will be pretty strict: those coming to the 5pm session should arrive by around 4:30pm, so they have time to setup bikes, and get warmed up. Those coming to the 6pm session should arrive by 5:30pm to setup/warmup.

This Week's News
First up this week were pace lines. C and B did their 25 and 20, and the As did a separate 10. Bs need to be careful about half wheeling (overlapping wheels with riders in front) and As need to concentrate on keeping the gaps as small as possible between riders.

None of the groups did trainers this week, apart from a few riders who were sent up after their Flying 200s to warm down.

Part of group B & A did flying 200s. And look, I produced another chart! So now we have almost all regular riders charted, and we’ll update with results as we go. Times do tend to vary a lot, so don’t be too concerned about where you sit in relation to others. The important thing is to beat your own time when we do this again.

<See next post for graph.>

Colin took the remaining B and C groups through some core exercises, with some limited results… ahem. Core exercises are a really important part of building up good bike handling, racing and positioning skills. They are not supposed to be easy!

After this we did a pair pursuit, this time with group A leading out the Cs. Very interesting to see the U11s leading some U17s with great success. Good communication – and I have to commend the C group for really egging on their lead-out partners. Claude and Taku took advantage of being first off the fence and were first over the line, but coming up behind them, some great moves by Lawrence and Zanzi, followed by Gen and Brendan.

Group B paired up together, but unfortunately Erin had a fall during the drill which required it to be stopped. Erin did need to go to hospital, has been discharged and is home. We wish her a very speedy recovery.

DHBC hosted Junior track carnival - November 30
We will be hosting a junior track carnival at the end of November, this will be a Cycling NSW event and open to all clubs. We are looking for volunteers in all areas to help out with things such as the BBQ, canteen, registration, handlers, and various other jobs. It will be a enjoyable afternoon event... and many hands make light work (etc)! Please contact me (James) for more details.

Thanks to Lizanne for keeping the flow of riders for the 200s.

Colin & James, chief chart maker

Upcoming events

Cycling NSW has updated its website so to find the event calendar and online entry go to http://www.nsw.cycling.org.au/Events-Re ... s-Calendar

November
9th - SCODY Junior Cup on Wheel at Dunc Gray. U9 to U17. Entries close Sunday
16th - 32nd Junior Clarence Street Cyclery Cup. U13 to U17. Entries close 3 Nov
23 & 24th – NJTS Rd2 at DISC Melbourne
30th DHBC Carnival. U9 to U 13. Maybe plus more

December
6 & 7th NJTS Rd 3 in Launceston
14th Illawarra Track Open in Wollongong. U9 to U17 plus Seniors
27 to 31st Christmas Carnival. TBC. Hopefully like last year there was a junior event before the seniors event.

The Women’s Track is on Saturday’s at the new time of 2 - 4.

Birthdays
Only one this week, Genevieve. Happy birthday and have a great day!

Another Big thanks to James and Lizanne
‘til next Wednesday

Colin

James Rogers

Postby James Rogers » 25 Oct 2013, 11:21

Return to “Track”