Stage 8 - A day to remember for Australia

Road cycling & upcoming rides
geoff m

Postby geoff m » 16 Jul 2007, 13:35

I think everyone is shellshocked with the stage last night. The forum has been very quiet about this topic, so I thought I would start the outpour of emotions......

In one stage, 50% of our guys are out, including the Yellow Jersey to be that day!

It was hard to watch the race unfold.....

I suppose the only rational explanation is that things happen in the tour and we've been pretty lucky the majority of Aussies have stayed in the tour in the past, and McEwen has even made it to Paris 9 out of 9 times.

So it looks like the statistics caught up with us in one fowl swoop.

A day to remember, for the wrong reasons.

We wish Cadel and Simon well.

Huw

Postby Huw » 16 Jul 2007, 15:08

I would like to add my best wishes to all the Aussies, continuing or injured. I feel bad for McEwen who must have seen the writing on the wall despite a huge day of effort. Unnerving and saddening to hear of injuries to O'Grady and Rogers. As Geoff expressed, my best wishes to Cadel and Simon for their continuing campaign.

Does anyone have (or have the ability to make), a DVD copy of last stage 8 coverage? I missed it and would like to see it, though understand it will be miserable viewing. I could probably do without seeing poor Stuart O'Grady stretchered away in an ambulance.

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 16 Jul 2007, 18:10

VHS

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 16 Jul 2007, 18:31

And today is a rest day... Won't help if you are already out. :roll:

I stayed around last night but fell asleep in the middle of the race and missed out on some of the drama. Saw Michael Roger's crash but only found out about the rest this morning. Rassmussen's push up the mountain was impressive though.

Cadel Evans has a nickname of "wheelsucker", it'll be interesting to see how much more sucking he intends to do. Or will he attack more?

mcrkennedy

Postby mcrkennedy » 20 Jul 2007, 12:43

Yes it was a sad day, however I think that both Rogers and O'Grady have handled it in true Aussie spirit (what ever that is). I read that Roger's comment was that he really had nothing to complain about as crashes are a part of racing. O'Grady was thanking the pole he hit as it may have saved his life.

I think that Cadel Evans is a bit of a "wheelsucker" however I think he makes the very valid point that it is hard for him to attack when other riders have one or two support riders. However on Stage 9 he did attack a few times, the press pressure must have been getting to him.

Unlike Rasmussen, Cadel is a real showing for the yellow in Paris and does not have a team built to help him through the mountains. Horner is having his best Tour in a long time and will be able to provide some help but the others Predictor team members are really there for Robbie McEwen and not Cadel so asking them to be leaders in the mountains is a bit much.

Leipheimer showed the value of having domestics who can climb on Stage 9.

One wonders what Evans would do with a team built around the GC rather than the Green Jersey.

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 20 Jul 2007, 13:10

So why did Evans sign up with Predictor-Lotto? For the mateship? Would he have been better served in another team? From my reading, McEwen seemed to be the dominant leader within Predictor-Lotto and everything seemed to evolve around him.

Simon Llewellyn

Postby Simon Llewellyn » 20 Jul 2007, 16:46

What other Pro tour team could Cadel ride for? All the big squads have big name leaders... McEwen has lead the way in that squad by proving Australian riders are a forces to be reckoned with & Cadel has jumped on the band wagon. Not all European director sportifs would of initially believed in Cadel. He had a great season about five years ago with mapei & wore the leaders jersey in Giro di'talia. But from there he had a shocking couple of years breaking his collar bone 3 times when riding for T-Mobile & don't think he even made it into the tour squad for that team, even though they signed him up to help Jan Ullrich in the mountains & at that point his career was almost on the line. Then he used McEwen as a leaping stone to get signed by Davitamon Lotto & in the process has proven himself once again to be a superstar of the sport with a top 5 tour finish. Had he not have gone to Lotto & stayed with T-mobile or joined another top team he may never of reached the point where he is now as he would of been a support rider before proving himself rather than an outright leader for a team who had no leader except a sprinter. & if he were to join another team like T-mobile again he may slump again. To win the tour you not only have to have alot of self confidence but a boss who believes in you also & you have get along well with each other. I don't think Lotto have really told Cadel what to do but let him find his own way & it has been very successful...

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 20 Jul 2007, 17:39

Glad that you know the historical perspective. Thanks.

geoff m

Postby geoff m » 20 Jul 2007, 19:04

Interesting history Simon,

That sort of explains why is is where he is at this moment.

I think now that he has proved he is a clear podium chance, other teams may have an interest in him.

I do believe however, that his time has come, to find a team which will be largely built around him.

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 21 Jul 2007, 00:45

Yes, it's fate that McEwen went out of TdF and cleared the way for Evans to have a go. Nice!

Simon Llewellyn

Postby Simon Llewellyn » 21 Jul 2007, 06:29

I think when Cadel's contract finishes he is going to be hot property, teams like T-mobile will be very interested & he'll be able to choose a squad around himself. It's much easier to buy a proven performer than build one...

geoff m

Postby geoff m » 21 Jul 2007, 21:55

Check this out.

I think the most memorable part of the Tour!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0p8n6dfJoYc

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 22 Jul 2007, 01:05

I think the most memorable part of the Tour!
Yes, that was brilliant, especially the overhead shot of the final sprint.

And if the win was all due to the adrenaline rush, then I can see adrenaline infusion will be the next winning cocktail on tours. :wink:

Return to “Road”