Sat 2/5 ride with Renegade (aka Long ride on Anzac Day)

Road cycling & upcoming rides
T-Bone

Postby T-Bone » 23 Apr 2009, 23:33

Anyone up for a long ride on Anzac Day?

At the moment i'm thinking of heading north, possibly 3 gorges, maybe more. If you're interested, let me know.

timyone

Postby timyone » 24 Apr 2009, 08:44

im interested, but only if heffron isnt on. Maybe even if it is.

NOOG

Postby NOOG » 24 Apr 2009, 10:31

Sounds good. I'm up for it

T-Bone

Postby T-Bone » 24 Apr 2009, 10:43

I'm thinking a 7am start time at Micks.

NOOG

Postby NOOG » 24 Apr 2009, 10:46

I was looking at the route on bikely. I might meet you at 720 or so at Timbrell park. Where the Bay Run turns around.

T-Bone

Postby T-Bone » 24 Apr 2009, 12:04

No worries, i'll see you there.

Rodney

Postby Rodney » 24 Apr 2009, 12:24

Sounds good, I'll be in it if there are some other slowies. Last public holiday I rode that route but only turned around at Forestville because had to be home by 10am. Got all day this time.

Miguel

Postby Miguel » 24 Apr 2009, 17:02

I,m in, with the slow Rodney and I love that 7am start, and extra 1/2 hour sleep is good at any time

park

Postby park » 24 Apr 2009, 20:23

I'm interested as a slowy, haven't ridden this one before. Around 120km, fairly similar to Waterfall level? How are the hills?

http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/Three-Gorges-DHBC

T-Bone

Postby T-Bone » 24 Apr 2009, 21:27

Harder than Waterfall, but i'm happy to go slower than i normally might. There'll be regrouping at the top of the hills as well, so no need to worry if people take off going up hill.

NOOG

Postby NOOG » 24 Apr 2009, 21:44

Are we just having one bunch?

T-Bone

Postby T-Bone » 24 Apr 2009, 23:01

Yeah, one bunch, not really sure how many will turn up, though it doesn't really matter too much either way.

timyone

Postby timyone » 25 Apr 2009, 13:34

nice ride.
Alot of hills in it, i reckon there should have been more of a warning! that was alot harder than waterfall! (maybe not faster)
Nice riding, parky!!

jimmy

Postby jimmy » 25 Apr 2009, 17:23

I'm curious Tim, what made you think that a ride called the "Three Gorges" was going to be flat?

The Three Gorges is one of the really nice rides you can do going North, I really love the trip between Galston ad Berowra Waters, the road surface isn't the best, but it is such a nice area that you don't really care.

Question: Who crossed the on the ferry with their bike in the highest gear, or at least on the big ring, and then had to either change it by hand on the other side or have a lot of problems getting going?

James

T-Bone

Postby T-Bone » 25 Apr 2009, 18:29

We did Bobbin head first, so no problems with getting going after the ferry, though i guess itmay be a bit harder in the other direction.

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 25 Apr 2009, 18:54

We did the 2 gorges yesterday afternoon (Galston/Berowa Water). It was a loverly... Drive. ;)

There are some really nice bushwalk tracks around Berowa Waters. Was going to stop at Galston Gorge but couldn't find parking.

timyone

Postby timyone » 25 Apr 2009, 20:15

lol i was all col with the gorges (ok i didnt ride fast, but did them all ok, i was closer to every one else as we went along) I was surprised by the hills before hand! on the way there!! james's way to get there in the first place!

park

Postby park » 26 Apr 2009, 11:54

Was a great ride and certainly a good introduction for me to some evil hills :).

Thank you to James for organising and being patient and also to Tim for all the help and guidance. Look forward to doing this ride again in a while to check my fitness.

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 26 Apr 2009, 12:05

For anyone wanting to do these rides more regularly, Renegade conduct these on Sat mornings. Our own JamesC is a regular in the A bunch and I have been with them twice so far. Very nice on a nice Sat am.

timyone

Postby timyone » 26 Apr 2009, 16:05

hey how far would hat ride be if we did it every week?
(what grades are there?

jimmy

Postby jimmy » 26 Apr 2009, 17:19

Tim

There are three groups that leave from Renegade, the A group average about 28km/hr+ over about 75-85km, the B Group average about 25km/hr over about 60-70km, and the C Group average about 20km/hr over about 40-50km.

From where I live (Enmore), I typically do about 100-110km every Saturday, it is about 13km from my place to Renegade. Their rides leave at 6:30am, and get back to the shop (for A and B) between about 9:30am and 10am. There is a good cafe there where everyone meets up after the ride.

Check out http://www.renegadecycles.com.au/index.php?id=46 for the list of upcoming rides.

James

orphic

Postby orphic » 26 Apr 2009, 18:08

What route do you take to get to Renegade from Enmore?

I wouldn't mind trying out one of their rides. They don't sound very fast but I'm guessing they generally do lots of hills. Might start out with C.

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 26 Apr 2009, 18:33

What route do you take to get to Renegade from Enmore?

I wouldn't mind trying out one of their rides. They don't sound very fast but I'm guessing they generally do lots of hills. Might start out with C.
Being a shop ride, they cater from relative noobs to more experienced, and C would be appropriate as you pick up more bunch riding experience. If you read their site, they have a more strict requirement on bunch riding skills prior to any upgrades.

To get to Renegade, it'll be a ride up Victoria Rd then onto Burns Bay Rd. Despite the low traffic, the ride over Gladesville Br can be slightly worrying at 6:10am and outright frightening on return at 10am. ;) The safe alternative is to take the slow bike path over the bridge and then in a rather convoluted way get back onto Burns Bay Rd/Victoria Rd. I've done one Gladesville Br ride in general traffic with JamesC going south and it was quite an experience. :shock:

T-Bone

Postby T-Bone » 26 Apr 2009, 21:35

Was a great ride and certainly a good introduction for me to some evil hills :).

Thank you to James for organising and being patient and also to Tim for all the help and guidance. Look forward to doing this ride again in a while to check my fitness.
No problem, and it wasn't much of a wait, Tim was bringing up the rear. You and John seemed pretty close on each of the gorges anyway, plus i'm sure once you've had your bike for a bit longer you'll be even stronger!!

orphic

Postby orphic » 28 Apr 2009, 09:24

Being a shop ride, they cater from relative noobs to more experienced, and C would be appropriate as you pick up more bunch riding experience. If you read their site, they have a more strict requirement on bunch riding skills prior to any upgrades.

To get to Renegade, it'll be a ride up Victoria Rd then onto Burns Bay Rd. Despite the low traffic, the ride over Gladesville Br can be slightly worrying at 6:10am and outright frightening on return at 10am. ;) The safe alternative is to take the slow bike path over the bridge and then in a rather convoluted way get back onto Burns Bay Rd/Victoria Rd. I've done one Gladesville Br ride in general traffic with JamesC going south and it was quite an experience. :shock:
Thanks, I think I'll give C a shot on Saturday and see how it goes, provided the cold I feel coming on doesn't develop into anything debilitating. If anyone else wants to join I would be happy for a meet up before heading over that way.

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 28 Apr 2009, 10:20

Thanks, I think I'll give C a shot on Saturday and see how it goes, provided the cold I feel coming on doesn't develop into anything debilitating. If anyone else wants to join I would be happy for a meet up before heading over that way.
Their C bunch is doing Hornsby this Sat and I would say it's a bit boring going up and down Pacific Hwy. Akuna Bay/Church Point (A and B) are much nicer rides and you may want to try to get into B if you think you can handle it. Don't forget to submit your rider waiver form before the ride and talk to one of the leaders. Would be happy to meet up for the ride up Victoria Rd if the planets aligns on Fri night.

orphic

Postby orphic » 28 Apr 2009, 10:38

Yeah that does sound a tad boring. I can give B a shot. What's the worst that can happen? Get dropped and ride home alone I suppose. I'll take the risk.

Thanks for the advice.

jimmy

Postby jimmy » 28 Apr 2009, 11:13

B Group won't drop you, they typically cruise at about 25-26km/hr (maybe a bit faster), just try and sit in the middle of the bunch, find out who the ride leaders are at the start and ride near them. They will be a bit more supportive if you get into trouble.

There is only one climb of note on the B Group ride this week (Church Point). It is an out and back ride, so you will descend first, and then climb out. On the descent, depending on your skills try and sit further forward, there will be a lot of slower descenders in the B Group. The descent is one of the better ones to the North, all of the corners are on camber, so you can descend quickly if you have the nerve. However, as you are new to the hill, I would suggest that you back it off a bit.

The climb is a favourite one among a lot of riders who cycle in that area. It is a bit over 4.5km, and an average gradient of about 4%. It is a bit steeper at the bottom, and once you pass the West Head/Akuna Bay turn off, it will get a bit easier.

James

Stuart

Postby Stuart » 28 Apr 2009, 13:31

Check out http://www.renegadecycles.com.au/index.php?id=46 for the list of upcoming rides. James
There is a big red square on the site that says:
Saturday's ride is OFF

Is this just an example of what it would say if it was really off? I'm confused!

jimmy

Postby jimmy » 28 Apr 2009, 14:18

That was the Saturday just gone, they didn't have a ride on ANZAC day, despite this, 10 riders still showed up....

I hope that they will update it before this Saturday (2nd May) to indicate that it is on (unless it is off).

James

Stuart

Postby Stuart » 28 Apr 2009, 14:46

That was the Saturday just gone, they didn't have a ride on ANZAC day, despite this, 10 riders still showed up.... I hope that they will update it before this Saturday (2nd May) to indicate that it is on (unless it is off). James
I rang them - it's on for Sat 2nd May - as you suggested the web site has not been updated since last weekend. Jo & I may go for the B squad, or maybe just go to M7 as planned, not sure yet.

Stuart

Postby Stuart » 28 Apr 2009, 14:48

To get to Renegade, it'll be a ride up Victoria Rd then onto Burns Bay Rd. Despite the low traffic, the ride over Gladesville Br can be slightly worrying at 6:10am and outright frightening on return at 10am. ;) The safe alternative is to ...
Drive to Renegade !!

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 28 Apr 2009, 15:11

Drive to Renegade !!
That's certainly an option that I have done many times in the past (for bike service). However, riding up isn't that bad at 6am if you have good lights. The bike path over Gladesville bridge is there as a fall back option and takes a bit more time that's all. But kills the average speed for the full ride.

timyone

Postby timyone » 28 Apr 2009, 17:49

ok well im not in for this for a bit, but ill get back to you, i want to do some saturday racing for a bit, as im riding all the time and not seeing any difference?! my 4000 metre time is going down?!

Gecko

Postby Gecko » 29 Apr 2009, 14:21

Hi all,

I did the ride to Galston Gorge with the C group the week before Anzac day and found the pace quite easy. The ride down the gorge was optional and the group waited up by the bus shelter whislt those that were keen completed the descent and climb back up (not as hard as I thought it would be).

I rode there and back from Marrickville for a round trip of 84kms. I left at 5:30 am to allow plenty of time to get there and recover from the climbs, as well as to submit my paper work. It took 41 mins to get there at a slightly relaxed pace using the the Gladesville bridge, and I was only passed by about 6 cars whilst crossing over.

The trip back was quite slow as I wasn't sure how to get onto the pedestrain crossing on the bridge to get back over (way too many cars to risk the road!). I made the mistake of taking the walkway on the Western side, it was barley wider than my bars (is the other one wider?) and made it impossible to ride up hill (not an easy walk).

If weather permits I will be riding back up to Renegade this Saturday to ride with the B group and am keen to meet up with any one else that may be going, either at Mick Mazza's or a nom,inated place along the way.

Cheers,

Glenn

jimmy

Postby jimmy » 29 Apr 2009, 14:40

Getting on to the Eastern Footpath of the Gladesville Bridge is an interesting exercise. I typically don't do it, so this is from the memory of when I have done it about 2 twice.

As you cross the bridge before Gladesville Bridge, take the exit to the left, as if you are going to end up on Victoria Rd heading towards Gladesville and Ryde.

As you descend on that road, you will see a bike path on your right, you will probably need to dismount and walk to it, and then you can join the Eastern side Footpath/Cycleway.

If you look at Google Maps you can see the path, but Street View doesn't go on that road, so you can only see a birds eye view.

James

Trouty

Postby Trouty » 29 Apr 2009, 18:22

If weather permits I will be riding back up to Renegade this Saturday to ride with the B group and am keen to meet up with any one else that may be going, either at Mick Mazza's or a nominated place along the way.Glenn
Hi Glen,

Stuart and I will be doing this ride on Saturday if it is not raining. Amy expressed some interest in doing it and asked for a lift. If she doesn't want to come, I will get in touch with you via PM and see if you want a lift with us. We can fit 3 bikes and 3 people in the car.

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 29 Apr 2009, 20:18

C'mon, ride over! That Gladesville Br section is only an issue for the return leg, but can be navigated with a little local knowledge. After which, there are plenty of designated bike routes through Drummoyne, Bay Run, Haberfield, all the way back to Marrickville.

Gecko

Postby Gecko » 29 Apr 2009, 22:28

Hi Glen,

Stuart and I will be doing this ride on Saturday if it is not raining. Amy expressed some interest in doing it and asked for a lift. If she doesn't want to come, I will get in touch with you via PM and see if you want a lift with us. We can fit 3 bikes and 3 people in the car.
Hi Jo,

I really appreciate the offer but am keen to ride to get the K's up. It's about 16km from my place. If the Eastern path is wider than the Western one then it will be a lot easier on the return trip as I know where to go to find the entrance to the paths.

Cheers,

Glenn

Trouty

Postby Trouty » 30 Apr 2009, 06:41

C'mon, ride over! That Gladesville Br section is only an issue for the return leg, but can be navigated with a little local knowledge. After which, there are plenty of designated bike routes through Drummoyne, Bay Run, Haberfield, all the way back to Marrickville.
OK - I will talk to Stu and see if I can get him to ride over, if we decide to, I'll contact Glen for a meeting spot. NOTE: we are much slower than you guys!!!

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 30 Apr 2009, 07:24

OK - I will talk to Stu and see if I can get him to ride over, if we decide to, I'll contact Glen for a meeting spot. NOTE: we are much slower than you guys!!!
No problem. I can meet you guys on Victoria Rd, near Darling St intersection or anywhere around there. Would be happy to show you the way over. Riding across Gladesville Br at 6-something am is safe and the scary part is more psychological than physical.

Otherwise, it all depends on my present #swineflu. :roll:

Stuart

Postby Stuart » 01 May 2009, 07:44

No problem. I can meet you guys on Victoria Rd, near Darling St intersection or anywhere around there. Would be happy to show you the way over. Riding across Gladesville Br at 6-something am is safe and the scary part is more psychological than physical.
Jo, Amy & I will be driving this first time, leaving our place at around 5:45. See you there guys.

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 01 May 2009, 07:53

No problem. Depending on the weather and my recovery, look forward to seeing you there if everything aligns. It'll be COLD.

Is Orphic still coming?

Don't forget your signed waiver form and all riders need to sign in before the ride.

jimmy

Postby jimmy » 01 May 2009, 08:27

The A group ride this week is a bit shorter, I am going to try and encourage them to go out to Duffy's Forrest after doing Akuna to get a bit more distance in.

James

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 01 May 2009, 08:40

The A group ride this week is a bit shorter, I am going to try and encourage them to go out to Duffy's Forrest after doing Akuna to get a bit more distance in.
Per your usual... What's changed? ;)

As I am just recovering from #swineflu, I'll see how I feel in the morning and then decide which bunch I'll go with, if at all.

orphic

Postby orphic » 01 May 2009, 11:29

I'm out for this Saturday, but I might be keen for next week instead. I'll see you all on Sunday I hope!

Stuart

Postby Stuart » 02 May 2009, 17:10

It was a good ride - see here

Return to “Road”