Autobus for Grafton to inverrel...

Road cycling & upcoming rides
Simon Llewellyn

Postby Simon Llewellyn » 25 Jul 2007, 13:26

Hey guys i'm getting together a bunch of blokes to ride th grafton together. The goal is to finish & to do it together in a bunch so that we don't have to ride the 228kms alone. So far it is a definit to me & Grant as long as they don't force me to work that weekend & We have a yes from Huw. The only real terms to entering this is you have to say you are going to finish, not aim to ride half way as people pulling out is bad for team moral and you have to be willing to ride in the bunch at the speed of the bunch. So no hard turns blowing up the bunch & no riding off the back for the sake of it. The way it'll work is we'll probably aim to ride with the main field to the climb & as far up it as people can go. If your in the lead at the top your in the race to win & keep going, if your dropped we'll meet up at the top to ride home together. Anyone else interested???

Oh Yeh & it'll more than likely involved a number of food stops....

T-Bone

Postby T-Bone » 25 Jul 2007, 17:33

Just remember there's a time limit, so you can't slack off too much.

I'll be starting to do my long training rides soon, as in 200km+. I'll mostly do them on Thursday mornings as i only have uni 3-4pm most weeks, when i get my light together i can do the 260km Macquarie pass loop, otherwise i've got a 200km loop to Mt Kiera. Otherwise, i'm thinking saturday mornings i'll do a long ride and Bulli Pass every 2nd Sunday, not this coming sunday though.

Just remember, don't give up if you're not in the lead, a lot of the time the 2nd bunch has a chance of getting back into the race too, or are at least racing for positions in the top 10.

Anyway, my plan is to race for a result, or at least give Eugen some help, but it'll be good to have more people up there..

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 25 Jul 2007, 17:39

200km... OMG!

Simon Llewellyn

Postby Simon Llewellyn » 25 Jul 2007, 17:44

aarrgghhh the time limit doesn't bother me, as long as we finish & we can say we've ridden the Grafton. No-one will care about the time, longer sounds tougher to the uneducated ear. & remember we're are all trackies...

Me & Grant are going to do some long rides too, 200km, but it will be more in the way of the chicken burger for morning tea & pasta for lunch ride...

T-Bone

Postby T-Bone » 25 Jul 2007, 17:51

I would like to do some chicken burger rides, but i'm not going to have any full days off to fit them in, unless i don't race Kurrajong, but i want to do that, so i may just ride home from the race instead (just need to get there....)

Just remembered, there's a public holiday on September 7th, so that might be the go, but being one week before Grafton i'm not too sure yet.

Adrian E

Postby Adrian E » 26 Jul 2007, 15:51

Yeap... I'm definately up for doing a proper Grafton to Inverell this time. I just need to get out of bed and do some proper training.

Grant Bond

Postby Grant Bond » 02 Aug 2007, 14:36

Unreal...looks like we are going to have 6 starters. It will be a pleasure to share the pain..and the post ride beer with you all.

Gill is going to come up and help with looking after us for food and everything. Is Al is likely to take the van?

Training wise im just trying to ride as much as possible and start building kms. I want to probably do a 200k ride 2 weeks out so ill be gradually building up to that...addding 15-20% to my "long" ride length each week. Hope to carve out 135 or so this Sunday down in the Gong. We should have a look at something the following weekend- maybe Wollongong and back through the park. I can recommend an excellent chicken burger place in the gong if anybody is keen.

Im just really working on LOTS of stretching and good tight technique on the fixie so my long suffering knees dont fall to bits like they did in the Gunnedah races.The physio is helping HEAPS with that. The hill is going to hurt but thats what triples are for right?

I think the key for me is just riding a solid pace i can survive at. The 10 hour time cut off is achievable...if we ride smart!

Grant

Huw

Postby Huw » 02 Aug 2007, 15:06

I'm very keen to do this ride. I used to live in Grafton as a kid, on the way out of town toward the range. I have memories of going to see the bunches ride up into the hills, and thinking how great it would be to ride that one day.

It looks like the time has finally come!

I also have an uncle (Uncle Dave) who used to be into cycling, who rode the Grafton-Inverell one year. He tells me about long training rides that he used to do up into the hills behind Grafton. Once they got to the top of the hills, they'd sit there and wait for my aunt to go turn up in the car, feed them coffee and cake, then drive them back down, since they didn't like going down the hills. Except for the coffee and cake part, I never understood this. Dave also tell how his heart rate hit 190 when he was riding to the start of the race. Now I suspect he probably rode under a high-tension power line which screwed with his heart-rate monitor. The other story is that he was so stuffed afterwards that he fell asleep at the presentation, right in the middle of dinner.

Anyway, I feel it's my destiny to ride this and am very keen.

Simon Llewellyn

Postby Simon Llewellyn » 02 Aug 2007, 15:22

Boys I have a philosophy for this race. He who can sit on the couch on his arse for tens hours in any given day with a beer in one hand & potato chips in the other can sit on a bike for ten hours in the beautiful sun light & the nice fresh air. & before you criticize my theory earlier this year it got me through twelve hours on a penny farthing. so it must be true. & we did NO training for that, except putting a hard arsed saddle on my fixie & spinning a massive cadence to harden up the backside...

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 02 Aug 2007, 15:56

How good do you have to be to participate in this race? What's the arrangement in terms of transport and accommodation? Do people go up on Fri and then come back on Sun with one night each in Grafton and Glenn Inns?

Simon Llewellyn

Postby Simon Llewellyn » 02 Aug 2007, 16:41

Yep, up Friday, back Sunday. I think it's more about will power, the proper feeding and hydration in these events than ability. Adrian has ridden the course & he's an entry level rider. I'll have a chat to Al, we'll work out accommodation & transport based on the number of rider going. Al goes up in the Van every year, T-bone has driven up i think last few years also & i know Grant's planning to drive up this year. So there should be spare seats & we'll car pool...

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 02 Aug 2007, 16:52

Ummm... Adrian is a strong rider.

I'll have to check on the family calendar. Or make a family holiday out of it.

Simon Llewellyn

Postby Simon Llewellyn » 02 Aug 2007, 17:04

It would be a good experience... If worst comes to worst then you just won't finish. It's no big deal...

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 02 Aug 2007, 17:18

I am really interested and as you said, a great experience. Looking at the profile map, a beaut of a 1000m climb.

Will see how it would work out on the family calendar.

T-Bone

Postby T-Bone » 02 Aug 2007, 17:28

I haven't driven up, i've only gone up in the van with Al, but this year i'm convincing my parents to come up and look after me, and probably Eugen as well, because if Al is giving food and drinks to everyone in the Autobus, it'll be too big a gap and becaome too difficult to support everyone.

As for training, my plan is to do Bulli Pass this sunday if you're interested. It's RNP sunday, so we'll probably leave at 6am and go through RNP on the way out.

Simon Llewellyn

Postby Simon Llewellyn » 02 Aug 2007, 17:35

The Autobus
I like that, it sounds cool...

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 02 Aug 2007, 17:39

Bulli pass is probably a bit of a challenge for me right now given the recent flu. But RNP is definitely on the card for Sun.

Adrian E

Postby Adrian E » 02 Aug 2007, 22:18

I did three rides up to Katoomba in the two months before the Grafton. Bulli Pass may be good training for you James but the gradient on the grafton is no-where near that step!!!! Provided you don't push yourself into the red zone its really just a game of counting the hours and filling up on food. But more than anything, its just a beautiful ride. I like the beer and potato chip philosophy, although I'll be riding to stop myself from turning into a potato chip.

T-Bone

Postby T-Bone » 03 Aug 2007, 00:34

Bulli Pass is mainly just a good turn around point, for a nice loop. Macquarie pass would be more similar, but i don't have time to ride that far at the moment (260km loop). Katoomba is a pretty good ride, but then there's the issue of traffic on Parramatta road, unless you can suggest a good way to get to the M4.

I've mapped out a few routes that go South, i'll try to add some heading North and West soon. http://www.mapmyride.com/user_profile?u ... ing.Uphill All can be extended by riding through RNP, though i'm not sure you would want to on all of them.

Adrian E

Postby Adrian E » 03 Aug 2007, 08:37

Yeap. the Macquarie pass is really similar to Grafton.

Regarding getting to the M4, its really easy. Take Groverser Crs from the roundabout at Summer Hill, Elizabeth St through Ashfield, right onto Paisely Rd when you cross the bridge at Croydon, pass through Burwood then right at the lights at Wentworth, Left at Whelans Rd past Straithfield Station then through the roundabout at up Leicester Ave to the M4 entry (the little one for cyclists).... and there are countless alternative ways. However the M4 is not a very nice ride generally. I also don't like the great western highway up the mounts, but I'm starting to learn all the backroads where are a lot nicer.

I'm looking forward to some long rides. I've put 4kg since I stopped the sunday rides in may. too much of the tour de frommage.

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 03 Aug 2007, 09:37

If my knees up to it, I'll come.

Huw

Postby Huw » 16 Aug 2007, 15:21

Wait, what is the Autobus? Is this Al's van? Or are we hiring a bus with automatic transmission?

Simon Llewellyn

Postby Simon Llewellyn » 16 Aug 2007, 16:39

The way AL drives it, it is more like racing car than a bus... Hey Huw Al put your name down, he said to enter...

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 16 Aug 2007, 17:36

The way AL drives it, it is more like racing car than a bus... Hey Huw Al put your name down, he said to enter...
Australia's oldest hoon?

T-Bone

Postby T-Bone » 16 Aug 2007, 23:39

Al's autobus is when the back window is opened a little bit so you can secretly get a bit of a tow.

Adrian E

Postby Adrian E » 17 Aug 2007, 07:21

I've put my entry in to join the Autobus.

Simon Llewellyn

Postby Simon Llewellyn » 17 Aug 2007, 12:04

I had a chat to Al & he pictures us all riding our own race. I think we can comply with Al's wishes, I don't plan to fly up the climb, I think it will be a pace everyone can sit at. The main issue will be eating. There are two food stops along the course, so that's where you'll have to mainly fuel up. I'm thinking about buying a box of those energy bars & wearing my old red jersey with the big pockets & I will fill it up....

T-Bone

Postby T-Bone » 17 Aug 2007, 12:14

I'm a fan of those SIS Go bars. Nice and cheap compared to other bars, and i remember seeing some being eaten in the tour, so they should be good enough for you. If you're off the back of the bunch you won't have to worry about the feed stations, as you'll be able to get food at anytime as long as there aren't too many people around. My parents will be coming up this year, so we should have enough people to look after everyone.

Simon Llewellyn

Postby Simon Llewellyn » 17 Aug 2007, 12:15

Hey guys should we put a team in? We can forward five names. It's an extra $50 between the team, but there's $500 on the line & I"m sure Eugene will finish very high up, I banking that James should do well. Then if we send two other guys riding together or the auto bus after the climb at a decent pace I"m sure we could grab the third spot....

Simon Llewellyn

Postby Simon Llewellyn » 17 Aug 2007, 12:20

I'm thinking:

Eugene
James F
Adrian
Huw
& Me.

I'll email cycling NSW if you guys are interested. But you'll have to put you entries in. Do you think Eugene will get graded to C? Al was pretty confident. I"ll have a chat to Grant about missing the cut, I don't think he will be too disapointed...

& hey where's the best place to buy those bars?

T-Bone

Postby T-Bone » 17 Aug 2007, 23:32

probikekit is best for the bars. i may get some more knicks, so i'll let you know.

Team sounds alright since it's only $10 extra each, and we can split the prize money if we get some. I just need to squeeze in my long rides, trying to work out how far i'll be able to go tomorrow in the time i have.

Grant Bond

Postby Grant Bond » 23 Aug 2007, 14:43

Hey Grafton Riders,

With so many riders this year i thought we should do something to mark the occasion in style.

Simon and I have discussed doing the race and seeking donations from people on the basis that they pay up if we ALL finish. Its only fair to make sure everybody is cool with that before we go live.

Geoff has suggested that a good charity to donate the proceeds to would be the
The Ben Mikic Foundation.
http://www.benmikicfoundation.org.au/
which i fully support.

We could possibly get some real action going on this if we promote through FNWTR (im sure Crafty would back us) and maybe at Parco Hefferoni.

Im up for it...are you all in?

Simon Llewellyn

Postby Simon Llewellyn » 23 Aug 2007, 15:44

Sounds like a tall order for everyone to finish but a good challenge. You know something though Grant I don't think the trackies will have any trouble. It's the roadies I'm worried about....

Grant Bond

Postby Grant Bond » 23 Aug 2007, 16:51

true...but if big guys that do 20km of motor pace and then 3 sprints and then go home and eat are comitted to finishing (however long it takes) im pretty sure that our lightweight roadie friends will be too...no worries there.

T-Bone

Postby T-Bone » 30 Aug 2007, 17:38

Not completely sure if this teams thing means we all have to pay $50.
Team entries require each member to pay the $125 and the $50 to register the team.
from Spoke 'n' Word.

Though the timing transponders sound good.

Grant Bond

Postby Grant Bond » 31 Aug 2007, 10:06

Im pretty sure its $50 for the team..ie $10 each

Return to “Road”