flat tyres

Road cycling & upcoming rides
Manny

Postby Manny » 25 Oct 2009, 20:54

Hi Everyone,
Can someone help? I keep getting rear flat tyres. I change the tube and ride a couple of times then find the tyre flat again. What am I doing wrong? Or do I need to take it to a shop and get it done properly. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

timyone

Postby timyone » 25 Oct 2009, 21:37

have you checked out the rim tape for holes? and lokefd for a bit of glass in the tyre?

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 25 Oct 2009, 22:06

The most important is to identify the location of puncture. Start this by mounting your tyre label right next to the valve stem.

Manny

Postby Manny » 26 Oct 2009, 09:24

Is there any good reliable bike shops around the inner west where I can take my bike to for general maintenance and service and I'm not confronted with bad attitudes and *censored* customer service?

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 26 Oct 2009, 09:29

It's like marriage, not everyone can be happy with any particular bike shop. And familiarity tend to improve the service you receive. Otherwise there are lots to choose from and it's better to ask this question in private on a bunch ride.

geoff m

Postby geoff m » 26 Oct 2009, 11:33

Couple of thoughts.

Often you will find glass embedded into the rubber tyre. When changing a tyre take time to run your fingers along the inside and use your eyes as well. Often, if time is available, turn it inside out so the stretching of the tyre on the inside wall often shows protruding glass fragments.

Also, you will see the brand of your tyre. Always place the brand of your tyre above your valve? Why? That's what I thought first time someone told me. If you do have something wrong with the tyre, such as embedded glass, then you will notice your inner tubes leaking in exactly the same place as they are always aligned with the same spot with the tyre. Then it becomes really obvious where your leak is.

Another trick - I do this 100% of times before rides and rarely get flats (I'm touching wood 50 times at the moment, as its a dangerous statement for me to make).- before every ride, ensure you have good light above your tyres and slowly rotate them around, scanning for any glistening from within any cracks. Have a small nail handy, and carefully scrape out any sand, or glass.

Often what happens is that glass gets embedded in the tyre and slowly gets pushed further into the tyre the more you ride it, causing flats later. I find that I actively dig out glass on average after every second ride - and results are good to date for lack of flats (-touch wood - touch wood - touch wood).

Lastly, I've always been happy with bicyle services from CBD Cycles or Clarence St Cyclery in the city. THere are also some excellent local shops which others will no doubt recommend - the City suits me because I work here.

They charge about $80 for a standard service and add on any extras for replacements such as brakes or cables. I usually end up paying about $100 to $120 for a service every 9 months.

The service is thorough and the bike components usually come back really clean. That's my experience anyway.

We should use the local guys who do a great job and support cycling whereever possible. You will see some names of shops who've supported events in the past under our sponsors page. If others in the club have a great experience with one of our local shops, pls comment.

Manny

Postby Manny » 26 Oct 2009, 11:39

Thanks guys for your input. Will take everything on board and try all things mentioned to make my rides more consistent. It really de-motivates you when it keeps happening though.

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 26 Oct 2009, 12:41

It really de-motivates you when it keeps happening though.
At the end of the day, a more puncture resistant tyre can help too. They won't stop flats if you ride in glass or don't look after your tyres, but can make a significant difference.

Anyway, the cause of your repeated flat is still an unknown at this stage and you need to verify the location and cause of the flat first.

timyone

Postby timyone » 28 Oct 2009, 08:26

Clarence st is probably more expensive, but good if you work in the city. I would say try ashfield cycles. I choose peter bundy cycles, he's amazingly good service, but not as close

Timbo

Postby Timbo » 28 Oct 2009, 11:15

From a light service to complete builds Anthony at Velofix in Rozelle is one of the best. www.velofix.com.au.

Toff

Postby Toff » 28 Oct 2009, 13:26

Riders are free to use any bike shop they like. Unlike other clubs, we do not have jersey sponsorship, and like to develop relationships with lots of bike shops as our club continues to grow...

However, the club endorses and recommends the following bike shops which are regular sponsors of the club, and our events:

Burwood Cycles,
Peter Bundy Cycles,
Mick Mazza Cycles.

We owe these shops our support for the financial help they have given the club. You will be looked after at all of these shops.

In additiona, the following bike shops employ current or ex club members, and if you visit them, it is worthwhile mentioning that you are a DHBC member:
Cyclefit Centre;
Ashfield Cycles;
Stanmore Cycles.

Many other bike shops are no doubt good as well, but the bike shops mentioned above (especially the first category) have chosen to help our club out specifically. Letting them know that you are there because they support our club is good for us as well as them.

timyone

Postby timyone » 28 Oct 2009, 14:30

Peter bundy has sponsored us, and given us some great deals

Return to “Road”