Heffron Park - 18 August 2007 - About bloody time!!!!!

Road cycling & upcoming rides
geoff m

Postby geoff m » 19 Aug 2007, 23:55

Hmmmm, its taken me 2 and a half years, but how much sweeter it was when it was done with about 10 cms to go, by about 2 cms tyre width!

My richest prize money to date - $20.

Who's more excited! Me or the kids?

All grades from A to E had RBCC taking all position, on all podiums, except for D Grade. Looks like I ruined a clean sweep of the 5 grades!

shaymoo

Postby shaymoo » 20 Aug 2007, 07:33

Congrats Geoff! Way to win it with a full on sprint!

Great photo... and no, I don't mean the podium photo. :D

Sheamus
[/quote]

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 20 Aug 2007, 07:35

Congratulations Geoff!

But as Huw found out from the RBCC style police, you shouldn't sprint out of the seat whilst over the hood. :wink:
Last edited by weiyun on 20 Aug 2007, 09:14, edited 1 time in total.

geoff m

Postby geoff m » 20 Aug 2007, 07:36

Sheamus,

Didn't know you were a member of the forum. Look's like you joined just today.

How's IReland? Are you riding in the Tour of Ireland?

Any news on a return to OZ and DHBC?
Last edited by geoff m on 20 Aug 2007, 22:12, edited 1 time in total.

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 20 Aug 2007, 07:41

Way to go Geoff

BTW - great photos

Can you here C grade calling?

Adrian E

Postby Adrian E » 20 Aug 2007, 09:24

great stuff geoff... and what a way finish!

Huw

Postby Huw » 20 Aug 2007, 10:15

Geoff, you've demonstrated true sprinting flair. What a sweet win!

Looks like you were really putting the power down, and caught the RBCC rider up right at the line? Excellent stuff.

Simon Llewellyn

Postby Simon Llewellyn » 20 Aug 2007, 11:26

Well done Geoff! & those are some great photos. I'm thinking if I get a chance I"ll start up a photo gallery on the road page and we can put all the Heffron photos into it and any opens photos we acquire...

imaxwell

Postby imaxwell » 20 Aug 2007, 19:32

Good man yourself Geoff. Great win for the Irish!

geoff m

Postby geoff m » 20 Aug 2007, 22:32

Thanks Ian, Hope Adelaide is treating you well

I forgot to do a match report.

Was a cold, and very overcast day with black clouds rolling in before it dumped 100mm over Sydney over the next 48 hours.

So numbers were down. 5 in total. One of the smallest groups I've ridden with. Nevertheless, final speed was reasonably fast at 34km ph. As there were so few of us, there wasn't much cover either, making it somewhat challenging.

We started off as a bit of a social ride, chatting away. But after about 2 laps Mark who came 2nd got impatient at our cruising speed and attacked. I locked in easily behind whilst the other three were caught out. Grant who came third slowly and surely bridged the gap. We blew Leanne and one other away.

It was us three basically to the final lap. Mark and Grant were fairly keen to push it along. I did my turns but it wasn't long before one of them, usually Grant, wanted to be on the front. So I didn't complain. I tried, but kept getting pushed back to 2nd or 3rd.

Grant also had an interesting habit of when not on front, riding side by side to the front rider. It was a bit crazy as he seemed to lose any advantage of taking a break, and it was a bit off putting. I asked him after if he was a first time ride, but he said he'd come back after a 12 months absense.

Mark tried a few more attacks but I managed to catch him in a measured way without panicking.

When we came around the tennis courts on final lap, he was off again, and pushed hard. I set off to catch him and slowly saw Grant slip behind.

This time Mark pushed harder and as I would draw within about 2 bike lengths he kept pushing forward. I was a bit worried I would lose him.

We came around the netball court final turn and I had to make a final burst to catch him coming up to McEwen Straight. I got him fair and square on the final corner and locked in.

He then slowed down as he hit the wind with 400 metres to go. I ruthlessly sat on his wheel getting my breath back as he pushed on. I left my sprint to a risky 100 metres to go before launching out and easily starting to pass him. I saw the line coming up and was confident that I would mow him down. As I saw victory, he somehow surged as he saw me level up. What looked like a victory within the last 1.5 metres was stretched out to the line. I thought he got me. He thought I got him. Sinead sitting on the bench thought he got me. Someone else and the officials on the line on the other side were sure I got it.

So after riding a warm down lap with Mark, it was only then I heard the news that I had been seeking for over 2 and a half years. Way to go!

I said to Sinead that I bet Therese would comment why I would need to buy a new bike now that I had ridden my current one to victory.

Sure enough, when I got home and told her the news, the first thing she said was, "Oh good, you won't be needing that new bike if your current one is working that well!"

shaymoo

Postby shaymoo » 21 Aug 2007, 05:47

Geez, not to sure if there was more wind on the day or in that report :P

Tell therese your putting down a deposit on your new bike with yer winnings (don't say that was my idea). Your going to need it now when they move you up a division. :)

Going to walk over and watch the tour of ireland next weekend, a couple of big teams in it. It's on tv every night this week too! T-mobile, CSC, Rabobank

Jess' brother won the Tour of Shanghai Hong Kong a few weeks back.
Check out the podium girls. Not quite tour de france standard. She's in the states with him on holidays in Denver. She better bring back some Jelly Belly kit or at least some jelly beans.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos.php?i ... ng075/1408
http://www.cyclingnews.com/road.php?id= ... ongkong075

We'll be here for a while yet.

Keep up the winning!
Sheamus

Return to “Road”