New front wheels what to do?

Road cycling & upcoming rides
mcrkennedy

Postby mcrkennedy » 25 Aug 2007, 14:30

Hi folks
I would love some advice. I need to get a new front wheel. the rim is going on the current front wheel.

My options seem to be:
1.Replace the current rim with something better like an Open Pro and keep the current hub that is working ok, however it is the Felt stock hub and I am not sure how long it will last. I could get it reconditioned it is a casette hub.

2,Build a new wheel again again using Open Pro or similar and either a 105 or Ultegra hub, therefore similar to my current real wheel arrangement.

3.Buy a complete front wheel. something like a Shimano WH-5600 or WH-6600 or similar

Budget is about the $250 to $300 range.

Love to known what you think may be the best option.

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 25 Aug 2007, 18:31

What happened to the existing rim?

mcrkennedy

Postby mcrkennedy » 25 Aug 2007, 21:57

Its an Alex rim with a machiend grove in the braking surface to tell you when the braking wall is starting to thin out. That grove is starting to disappear.

FAswad

Postby FAswad » 26 Aug 2007, 14:05

Just make sure that WH-5600 is not the Shimano wheel that everyone complains about for broken spokes.

If I was in the market for strong wheels, I would most likely go custom built. Strong rim (Mavic OP, Rigida DPX, Velocity Aerohead etc), some good spokes (DT Comp?) and a hub (105 would do it for me, Ultegra even better, if I was willing to pay).

Also, have you considered either of Velocity's complete wheel builds? I have only heard good stuff about them. Anything with a Deep V Rim, or an Aeorhead, coupled with an adequate number of spokes should do. I also remember they were good value (not to pricey)
Check them out here: http://www.velocitywheels.com/default.asp?contentID=537

This is about everything that I know about training wheels.

T-Bone

Postby T-Bone » 26 Aug 2007, 21:30

You can't go wrong with Velocity, just have a chat to Al about costs, though i'm sure you could get a whole wheelset for that budget.

Cheapest option would be to relace the hub with a new rim, and spokes. I wouldn't really bother with a single pre-built front wheel.

Basically for training wheels, some Deep-V are going to be strongest, though you need to decide if you need a spare rear wheel (always good for the trainer).

Return to “Road”