Fixie social Coastal 2010 is coming!!!!***

Road cycling & upcoming rides
Simon Llewellyn

Postby Simon Llewellyn » 31 Jul 2010, 18:59

As the fixie century looms for the mad folk of the club, it was brought up that fixie riding is not really about suffering, a sore backside or burning legs but about looking cool, drinking coffee and making friends. So in 2010 in addition to the fixie century a more friendly social ride will link up with the annual -tempetation-. This ride will give those who just want to have a laugh, wine and dine and have a yarn to be involved without that unconfortable burning sensation.

The ride willl begin in Wollongong at the Brewery at at a comfortable time of the morning, 10 or 11am with a drink and a meal. Then head up the coastal road towards stanwell park stopping at every chance for a coffee and a yarn and rather than bothering with that brutal climb up stanwell tops, move to the rail option, before riding back from a more comfortable place, finishing at tempe velodrome to cheer on the finishers of Tempetation. Then move on over the german club for a beer and a meal before heading home.

The route can be obtained from the tempetation route but begging at wollong gong and bypassing stanwell tops on the train.

http://www.mapmyride.com/ride/australia ... 9763814474

Fixie century, Tempetation;
http://www.dhbc.org.au/forum/viewtopic. ... 775#p26775

***The date is yet to be confirmed but likely September 12.

Camilla

Postby Camilla » 01 Aug 2010, 22:23

Can people please stop planning EVERYTHING for September, while I'm away. What's wrong with August!? Or even late September, when I'm back? I've got the fixie now and all ... Probably we'll have an omnium when I'm away too. That's a lot of people I'll have to stab.

Simon Llewellyn

Postby Simon Llewellyn » 02 Aug 2010, 07:10

There's only really one other date that I can see which would be doable for this event & it's the 14th of November which clashes with the Wagga track open. Otherwise it is limited unless we prioritise it over other events.

Timbo

Postby Timbo » 02 Aug 2010, 08:48

Sounds like Sunday 12 September is shaping up as the best date for the fixie century. Great suggestion for a social fixed ride too. [Post edited to remove my clueless reference to start point - I've now seen Simon's main post].
Last edited by Timbo on 02 Aug 2010, 11:23, edited 1 time in total.

christian

Postby christian » 02 Aug 2010, 10:58

From memory the brewery doesn't open till midday. This shouldn't be a problem for those of us doing the full distance as its about half way. I think I'm going to be on the brakes coming down Macquarie pass, its almost 10 kms long.

Camilla

Postby Camilla » 02 Aug 2010, 21:00

I vote for prioritising and making it October 14! It'll be worth it for everyone else just to see me attempt the 10 km descent down Macquarie Pass on vintage, single pivot brakes (with regulation very thick pads, even if the rubber is as old as the metal). Besides, Wagga's 6 hours drive away and freezing.

Do you mean to have 2 threads running for this by the way Simon? Or is this one supposed to be the "social" event and the other the century?

Simon Llewellyn

Postby Simon Llewellyn » 03 Aug 2010, 07:04

I vote for prioritising and making it October 14! It'll be worth it for everyone else just to see me attempt the 10 km descent down Macquarie Pass on vintage, single pivot brakes (with regulation very thick pads, even if the rubber is as old as the metal). Besides, Wagga's 6 hours drive away and freezing.

Do you mean to have 2 threads running for this by the way Simon? Or is this one supposed to be the "social" event and the other the century?
Yeah this one was meant to be the social ride & the other the actual century. But it doesn't matter too much. This one is the new event so it will be harder to get up & running, the other will just happen. But in terms of date it still depends on the vailability of the accomodation.

Return to “Road”