Loop the Lake 2011

Road cycling & upcoming rides
doylep

Postby doylep » 23 Mar 2011, 09:40

A post to show that DHBC was represented at the Loop the Lake 2011. If there were other members present, my apologies, but I did not see another DHBC jersey. :P
http://www.flickr.com/photos/48819397@N ... otostream/
I am on the left in the club jersey, a new member, Andrew Cowley is on the right (I have to encourage him to get a jersey!). This was taken just after we finished at Speers Point.
I had a horror time on the day however, a piece of gravel shredded my rear tyre at about the 15km mark. The first mobile repair van that I caught up with was only carrying MTB tyres (??) so I had to wait about 90 minutes for the other van to get to me.
That 90 minutes turned it into a shocker. By the time we finished it was 35 deg at Speers Point. The sun block had worn off. The high temperature meant a strong sea breeze which was a headwind all the way up the Pacific Hwy to Belmont. Standing around in cleats for 90 minutes is really bad for wide feet ...
So I have learnt a couple of lessons: carry a foldable tyre, don't stand around in cleats when you're not riding.
Will I do it next year, maybe ...
Best of all, I raised $650 for the John Hunter Childrens Hospital.
Cheers
Peter Doyle

Stuart

Postby Stuart » 23 Mar 2011, 10:41

Great to see DHBC still being represented on this ride. Jo & I and several others did it in 08-09 but haven't been back. Maybe next year if the calendar allows.

Bad to hear about your flat - I remember that there are some dodgy roads, potholes and lots of glass - still a great ride though and as you say, for a good cause.

timyone

Postby timyone » 23 Mar 2011, 10:59

great work :D i wish there was a like button on this!

Karzie

Postby Karzie » 23 Mar 2011, 11:05

don't stand around in cleats when you're not riding.
Another reason to like the MTB SPD cleats/shoes. You can even push your bike home (or up the hill :) ) with them on.

AliG

Postby AliG » 23 Mar 2011, 20:04

I did the ride, too, but minus a DH jersey. My bike had an easier time of it, but a puncture for each of the guys I rode with, including a long nail going through one wall of the tyre and coming out the other side. But, for all the punctures, it felt like a really safe ride and a beautiful loop.
Congratulations on the fund-raising!

Return to “Road”