Race Report - Heffron, 21 May

Road cycling & upcoming rides
Adrian E

Postby Adrian E » 21 May 2011, 23:26

Today was my first race at Heffron in 2 years. Craig from DHBC was also there in C grade but I didn't see how he went.

I raced D grade (yes soft)! We had a large bunch with some strong riders although it was all very neturalised with only one attack that I pulled back. I did many laps on the front early on then kept in the top 5 in the later half. Unfortuantely my sprint was a disaster as the race moved to the predictable bunch sprint. I thought I was in a good position holding 5th wheel but a young guy front Sydney Uni attacked early from the final corner and was strong enough to hold on. It was a brave move and it paid off. All credit too him. 2nd and 3rd wheel chased him the whole way. I was hoping that the guy on 4th wheel would pull me back to the front but he had no wheel to follow and wasn't pulling them back. i passed him and gave chase but was too late.

Despite an average result, I had a ball. I know that I'm not pushing myself in D grade but I'm more interested in having fun and moving up because I'm winning. I'm looking forward to going back next week, working on my sprint, and maybe throwing in some attacks to make things more exciting.

timyone

Postby timyone » 22 May 2011, 09:41

man im looking forward to when i end up in c grade in every thing, then i can dream of winning things, instead of finishing the race :D

weller

Postby weller » 22 May 2011, 12:59

I wish it was C grade - actually in B yesterday and we were hammering. Passed A grade with 5 laps to go (I think they were taking it easy). Excellent turn up with about 40 or so in B grade, smooth and fast pace and no erratic participants. Just how it shoudl be!!

CW

timyone

Postby timyone » 22 May 2011, 13:05

Go weller!!!!!!! (A grade is a different race, they have fast, and slow, and in between, they may start fast (as in the speed of some of the other sprints, then move into slow, then back to fast)

Adrian E

Postby Adrian E » 22 May 2011, 19:08

Awesome stuff Craig. That would explain why I passed so many casualties with red race numbers.

Tim, I reckon when you can still be competitive in C grade in another 20 years, then that's something to look forward to.

Return to “Road”