Wheel Upgrade - Thoughts?

Road cycling & upcoming rides
Nozzle

Postby Nozzle » 26 Jul 2011, 21:45

I'm tired of my Shimano R500 stockies and it's time for an upgrade.

I've got about $600 to spend on a new set of all purpose wheels for my roadie. I will train / commute on these so need to spin nice and be robust. I'm eyeing off some Fulcrum Racing 3's (Wiggle), some Mavic Ksyrium Elite (not too sure where has stock at the moment) or some Campy Eurus / Neutron Ultra's ~$800 (Wiggle). I'm not too fussed on brand.

Open to suggestions at around this price point of other wheelsets.

Lastly, is it worth getting another cassette for the new wheels or is it easy to swap a cassette if i wish to change wheels occasionally? Not too sure how swapping the cassette with a relatively new chain will fare.

Cheers,

Noel

Lizanne

Postby Lizanne » 26 Jul 2011, 22:08

new cassette=new chain too. a lesson i have learnt.
and if you have $600 to spend. get some wheels made. go into a good local bike shop (i use bike depo in enmore) describe your budget, riding style, and use for the wheels and they should be able to make you a good custom set that you will love.
i splashed out on some hand built wheels om my last bike build and it was one of the best life decisions i have ever made.

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 26 Jul 2011, 22:56

Out of the 3 listed, I'd go with Fulcrum R3 as the Eurus is more expensive and exceeded your budget. I would pass on the Mavics.

I have both the R3 and Eurus and like both very much. For the difference of some additional rim shaving (weight), the R3 is great value as a high-end-commuter, training and racing wheelset. I also have a set of Mavics Ksyrium ES but it doesn't compare in terms of aero performance and freewheel design. So I'd suggest not bother with Mavics unless you have an absolute hatred of Campag/Fulcrum freewheel clicks.

Otherwise $600 is good for other choice, even custom that others can advise on.

Definitely have another cassette as changing cassette is not something you want to do every week. Better still, have 2 bikes with one wheelset each. :mrgreen:

orphic

Postby orphic » 27 Jul 2011, 09:05

Thought about RS80's? They will be stiff enough if you aren't a tanker (can I ask how much you weigh?) and are relatively light. Lighter than all the options you have thus far I believe. I know guys that are 80kg and run them so if you're around that range you should be sweet. You can buy these for $515 from CRC right now.

Dougie

Postby Dougie » 27 Jul 2011, 09:56

Noz,
I upgraded from Shimano RS10's to RS80's about four months ago. I bought throught CRC. I also purchased a new Ultegra 11-28 at the same time. They are OUTSTANDING! I notice Ribble has them for a ludicrously low price at present. they weigh in at 1521g plus QR's etc so they are about 300g lighter than the RS10's. They look smart and being carbon they add an nice touch of bling to your ensemble.

Cheers

Dougie

jermxx

Postby jermxx » 27 Jul 2011, 13:51

What about up to 100kg for the RS80's/R3's?

Toddles

Postby Toddles » 27 Jul 2011, 13:55

Remember that you can't buy Mavic's from O/S websites. Mavic control their dealers and don't allow it.

wallman

Postby wallman » 27 Jul 2011, 16:50

I would buy a pair of HED Ardennes for that sort of money. They use the same wide profile rim as is on all the top-end carbon wheels these days and will therefore feel completely different (and in my opinion a lot better) than all the other options mentioned here. If they made a 32 hole rim I'd buy it and build my Powertap into it for training and wet racing.

Matt

orphic

Postby orphic » 27 Jul 2011, 16:59

You got me thinking about wheels so I sat at work looking at options this afternoon. The combo of Stans XTR Alpha 340 rims, Tune hubs and Sapim CX-Ray spokes and nipples would deliver an alloy clincher around the 1200g mark. Almost seems a bit too light. Would possibly worry about the Tune hubs not lasting so maybe some DT 240's or Chris Kings instead.

Mmmm, wheels.

Go custom! :)

Richard

Postby Richard » 27 Jul 2011, 17:18

I went for the Dura-Ace 7850 CL24's from CRC on a special they were having at the time. This wheelset shares the same rims as the RS80's but with the Dura-Ace hubs. I would recommend them but in hindsight the RS80's are probably better value for money.

If I want to shed a couple of hundred grams it would be much cheaper to just hold off on the booze/food intake for a couple of days.

Used them for Audax, training and everything so far.

Very light and bulletproof and I am no jockey (80kg)

T-Bone

Postby T-Bone » 27 Jul 2011, 18:02

For the budget, Shimano RS80 are probably your best choice. Custom can be good, but requires a bit of shopping around to get the best value.
If they made a 32 hole rim I'd buy it and build my Powertap into it for training and wet racing.
What about a Velocity A23 rim??

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 27 Jul 2011, 18:30

If Noel is considering Campag Eurus/Neutron, wouldn't the logical conclusion be that it's a Campy spec'ed bike? As such there's no point in suggesting Shimano specific wheelsets.

othy

Postby othy » 27 Jul 2011, 19:50

If Noel is considering Campag Eurus/Neutron, wouldn't the logical conclusion be that it's a Campy spec'ed bike? As such there's no point in suggesting Shimano specific wheelsets.
Yet his current wheels are Shimano R500s??? Surely suggesting the RS-80s is therefore a very logical upgrade path..

I have the 7850 C24's, and if the rest of my bike wasn't dura-ace I probably would have got RS-80s..

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 27 Jul 2011, 20:58

Noel, now much do you weigh?

Nozzle

Postby Nozzle » 27 Jul 2011, 22:35

I thought I'd get everyone biting with a discussion on bike kit...

I'm running Shimano 105 / Ultegra mix re: gears. Not too fussed on brand though. As for weight I'd say I'm a tanker at 80.5kg at the moment.

Not fussed on brand loyalty. After charting to LBS I've heard the free hub on the Shimano is easier to maintain than the Mavic. What is the freehub like on the Fulcrum or Campy Eurus (happy to stretch for quality)

As for cassette i could swap my compact road setup and go for a smaller rear cog for more speed!

Simon Llewellyn

Postby Simon Llewellyn » 28 Jul 2011, 14:19

II'm running Shimano 105 / Ultegra mix re: gears.

What is the freehub like on the Fulcrum or Campy Eurus (happy to stretch for quality)
Not to be a traditionalist but how common are shimano freehub bodies on campy wheels these days? 5 years ago people hounded each other over merely the thought of crossing over the two brands.

Have you considered getting wheels built? I have heard that Greg from TWE will soon be moving to Newtown. I'm only really suggesting this option because I heard on Monday night the club will be getting a couple of sets of TWE wheels given to us for the track through Team Bernard Beer Sponsors and it is good for people to support local sponsors who support us. TWE has been a very big support to Track racing over the year.

Nozzle

Postby Nozzle » 28 Jul 2011, 17:39

Thanks Simon,

I've thought about the look of the shimano / campy mix. Just not sold on shimano wheels. I love the strength of mavic but heard the hub needs regular maintenance.

Is TWE: http://www.twebikewheels.com.au/?

What is the ball park for a custom built set of wheels?

Strawburger

Postby Strawburger » 28 Jul 2011, 20:25

Thanks Simon,

I've thought about the look of the shimano / campy mix. Just not sold on shimano wheels. I love the strength of mavic but heard the hub needs regular maintenance.

Is TWE: http://www.twebikewheels.com.au/?

What is the ball park for a custom built set of wheels?
That's the website. Greg is great and the wheels are pretty good, especially for custom wheels vs off the shelf wheels.

Wheels start at $550 from the last time i checked. I've got a set of cheap ones and are a significant upgrade to the the r500's (the same upgrade i had).

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 29 Jul 2011, 00:08

What is the freehub like on the Fulcrum or Campy Eurus (happy to stretch for quality)
Given that you are running Shimano gears, I'd say that you shouldn't bother with Eurus as you'll need to pay extra for a Shimano spec'ed freehub. If you are keen on the Campy family, then Fulcrum is as far as you should go as Fulcrum comes packaged for Shimano or Campag. Otherwise Fulcrum's line matches Campag's apart from appearance and lacing. Campag/Fulcrum's freehub is solid, Mavic's is a pain when worn. Further, Fulcrum's R3 and up wheels use Record standard hubs and is as good as you get in that range, short of moving to CF shell.

Tim: Good spotting.

Nozzle

Postby Nozzle » 29 Jul 2011, 06:31

I'm making an appointment to see Greg @ TWE. Otherwise I think Fulcrum R3 will be the go.

Adrian E

Postby Adrian E » 29 Jul 2011, 14:25

I recently bought the older Ulterga 6700 wheel-set for racing. They have the same rim as the dura-ace not as much bling in the hub. I've already taken the rear wheel in to get re-trued I'm not overly impressed, but time will tell.

I'd +1 a visit to TWE. With wheels being so vulnerable to going out of wack, it would be nice to be able to put a face to product. Good to hear Greg's moving to newtown!

Richard

Postby Richard » 29 Jul 2011, 14:46

I rode a pair of the old Ultegra 6600's for years until they finally died a couple of months ago. I finally wore the rims out and now they are used for the home trainer.

For a low spoke count factory built wheelset I was very surprised in how well they performed. Nothing extraordinary but they stayed true and I never had a problem with them. On my flatbar commuter bike I have a 32 spoke set of hand built wheels that are constantly giving me grief. Go figure.

Maybe I am not as careful avoiding the potholes on the flatbar.

Nozzle

Postby Nozzle » 30 Jul 2011, 22:27

Met with Greg @TWE and have ordered a set of alloy wheels. Lots of options and pointers on materials. 1 week to get built. Hopefully I will have these on my bike for next weeks Waterfall ride.

Thanks all on your feedback. It has been useful.

FYI - Greg also offers crash warranty on the wheels and will repair any damage for act of pothole / etc. 8)

Return to “Road”