DHBC Criterium survey.

Road cycling & upcoming rides

I think DHBC Criterium racing should be...

weekly at Dunc Gray Crit circuit
No votes
monthly over another set month series (like 7) as a point score
19%
Monthly but with indivual events
8%
every two months
11%
Six monthly as a club event
5%
A change of venue even if it costs more
11%
As an open Crit event with higher entry fee and big prize money
5%
continue to cost $5 entry with no prize money
32%
Cost $15 entry with prize money per race
8%

Total votes: 37

Simon Llewellyn

Postby Simon Llewellyn » 22 Aug 2011, 11:46

Hi all,

Here is a simple poll just to get a sense of levels of interest in future Criterium events that the club will run. I just want to get an idea of what people want in terms of Criterium racing. If there is a strong consensus I can change what we are running or trial something new.

You can vote twice so please vote on between the first seven choices and then vote for one of the last two options on cost vs prizes.

Stuart

Postby Stuart » 22 Aug 2011, 15:43

As a test of who has actually read the post, this is failing as only 2 people have voted in the last category .... (and yes I'm one of those 2 at this time)

j.d.lester.

Postby j.d.lester. » 22 Aug 2011, 17:46

hey there.. for what its worth, id split the road racing into two seasons, summer and winter. each series four weeks long, racing back to back weekends.

summer racing saturday afternoon, dgv, crit style, 35min, handicapped, primes, winner takes all. points are awarded for road position. your crit champion can be from any grade.

winter racing sunday mornings, maybe at landsdowne? grade duration varies between 45min and 90min. you have individual grade champions.

anyways, not really new ideas, but they seem to work for other clubs, these are just shorter to help keep attendance high?

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 22 Aug 2011, 19:34

As a test of who has actually read the post, this is failing as only 2 people have voted in the last category .... (and yes I'm one of those 2 at this time)
Idiot test? :mrgreen:

But I am not sure on whom...

simon.sharwood

Postby simon.sharwood » 23 Aug 2011, 10:37

FWIW I reckon we could create a bit of a club calendar, and pick a weekend of the month for crits and different weekends for adventure rides.
So the first weekend of the month could be crits, the last adventure rides and a guaranteed Waterfall in-between.
S.

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 23 Aug 2011, 11:36

FWIW I reckon we could create a bit of a club calendar, and pick a weekend of the month for crits and different weekends for adventure rides.
So the first weekend of the month could be crits, the last adventure rides and a guaranteed Waterfall in-between.
S.
We had and still have a club calendar (via Google Calendar) but there was a lack of group participation by all who organized events. Without it and expecting one person to coordinate, it just doesn't work.

T-Bone

Postby T-Bone » 23 Aug 2011, 13:38

I think the best options are really a short series of races close together, or individual races spread apart more (every 2nd month). The short series has the issue of people wanting to do longer rides on some of the weekends, especially when scheduled on a Sunday morning (though i don't really see another time being better).

The issue of a set weekend in the month is the likelihood of clashes with other events that racing members are likely to participate in. We may just need to plan a bit further ahead of time when scheduling the crit.

One advantage with the omniums over the crit is that it doesn't really require as many participants to be worthwhile to run, and as has been mentioned, when it rains you can still have a bbq.

Trouty

Postby Trouty » 23 Aug 2011, 14:28

I like the thought of having a club event to get us all together, I think monthly is a bit hard given all the different racing and social committments. As you say Simon, the usual people win it, so the prize money isn't the big deal, but I think it is important to get people riding and racing as a club. It's less daunting for the newbies to race at Club level first to get them to race in bigger events later, in addition to learning from the more experienced riders. Change of venue some times is also good.

Stuart

Postby Stuart » 23 Aug 2011, 14:40

you mean like this? >> http://www.dhbc.org.au/whats-on-/ride-r ... endar.html

I'm the only one updating it at present

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 23 Aug 2011, 18:10

I'm the only one updating it at present
Looks like the support/interest is still unchanged.

Simon Llewellyn

Postby Simon Llewellyn » 23 Aug 2011, 18:33

hey there.. for what its worth, id split the road racing into two seasons, summer and winter. each series four weeks long, racing back to back weekends.

summer racing saturday afternoon, dgv, crit style, 35min, handicapped, primes, winner takes all. points are awarded for road position. your crit champion can be from any grade.

winter racing sunday mornings, maybe at landsdowne? grade duration varies between 45min and 90min. you have individual grade champions.

anyways, not really new ideas, but they seem to work for other clubs, these are just shorter to help keep attendance high?
That sounds like an excellent suggestion. I will have a look at it. One problem which we bypass by having monthly events is that it doesn't require helpers/commissaries to offer as high commitment of availability as a monthly event does. But that could be easily solved with a roster.

andrewb

Postby andrewb » 23 Aug 2011, 22:25

From the newbie perspective, it's been great to have this crit series run. It's a chance to get into racing, but doing it in a fairly non-intimidating environment, because we're racing with & around a whole bunch of people who we've been riding & drinking coffee with for a while. And the commissaires know the competitors, and can make sensible judgements to keep the racing safe, competitive & fun.

The different events mix it up a bit, and having it structured as an overall point score means that you have the chance to make amends for a not-so-good result in one race with a better one next time. Also means that the club will now have each year one or more "Club Criterium Champions", who obviously will gain the people's ovation and fame forever.

DGV is fairly handy as a location - manageable distance to ride out, race, and ride back before the traffic is bad. (disclosure - I live at Croydon Park so DGV=sleep in for me.)

IMHO, this year's concept has been really good, and has just been hampered by dreadful luck with the weather.

Other sports that I have been involved with also have club championships, and have similar scheduling issues with the CC. In general the way it's been dealt with is:
- have 6 or more races to constitute the series, one a month or so.
- get the schedule out early, juggling it a bit to try to avoid clashes with significant outside races.
- award average points to a competitor who misses a race because of representing the club at a (significant) outside race.
- allow each competitor to drop their worst result (which makes it possible for someone who misses a race because of school holidays, work, illness etc to still be in with a chance.)

just my AUD0.02 worth
Andrew

Return to “Road”