TT position - What do i need to do?

Road cycling & upcoming rides
Strawburger

Postby Strawburger » 26 Sep 2011, 10:51

Hi All,

After borrowing Mike's TT clip on bars, i have rotated the seatpost and pushed the seat as forward as possible. I have also raised the seatpost too. I got the wife to take a dodgy photo of me with this setup on the indoor trainer. I am pretty sure the arms are not in the right position. Having long arms and legs and a short body, i can't get any more forward on the seat so if i was to get my arms back, i would need to shift the elbows back about 10cm, having (what's left of) the meaty part of my lower arm muscles resting on the resting pads.

I would appreciate any feedback on my positioning on the bike (feedback on the hot pink & black outfit will need to be directed to my wife!)

Cheers

Simon

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 26 Sep 2011, 21:56

Its pretty difficult to tell from one one fuzzy photo. I'll have a stab at it;
- Sit further forward on the seat
- Your lower back looks rather stiff, how is your flexibility?
- Your elbows are too far forward, change your stem for the one I lent you and lower the handlebars at the same time
- And trim those sideburns

PeterOS

Postby PeterOS » 27 Sep 2011, 09:05

This is my opinion.
- The seat on a road bike needs to be level, when setting up for the TT position have the seat angled about 30deg off level, this way you still be able to have kids latter on.
- your elbows are to far forward bring the bars back so they are equal with your hoods or there abouts. (at this stage leave the stem alone.)
- not sure why you would raise your seat post unless you think you have grown.

Try that for starters.
Cheers

Strawburger

Postby Strawburger » 27 Sep 2011, 16:02

Great thanks Peter & Mike.

I appreciate the comments especially what you have to work with. The photos aren't great i know, but thats the best i can offer.

Flexibility is lacking at the moment. I am trying to get more flex in the lower back. Yoga would do the trick, just have to find the time. I'll bring the arms back further and see how i go with that position. I am trying to avoid modification of the bike too much as it's the new bike and would prefer it to be in a similar state to the road riding setup. I was hoping i could get away with swapping seatpost/saddle & clipping on the TT bars but if that doesn't work then i may have to seek alternatives. Hopefully i haven't bitten off more than i can chew with this project!

The sideburns are have a life of their own. Every now and then they seem to migrate down toward the chin in the winter months, probably for some warmth. It is noted and i shall call them back up where they belong.

Thanks again

Simon

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 27 Sep 2011, 16:09

Just need to stretch, though yoga would be fun.

At Canberra, I changed the stem for the ITT and changed it back afterwards

Toff

Postby Toff » 30 Sep 2011, 00:57

Here's what I reckon. The arms look high, but not too far off the right Anteroposterior position. The head and shoulders are too far back, and if they can be moved forward by straightening the back, then everything should fall into place. Back straightening will be improved by lowering the stem.

Order of adjustments I woulld take is as follows.

1) Lower stem as much as possible.
2) Move saddle forward (or at least try sitting on the nose a bit more).
3) Shorten stem.

Don't need to do all these things. Stop when you feel you've got it right.

geoffs

Postby geoffs » 30 Sep 2011, 21:56

How about reading this by someone who actually knows what he's talking about.
http://www.stevehoggbikefitting.com/blo ... -of-speed/
Not that i'm biased at all lol

Strawburger

Postby Strawburger » 05 Oct 2011, 08:11

Great, thanks again all for your opinions and info! I'll read through that thorough Steve Hogg article and also take on board your comments. With all that, i should be able to get a position good enough for my purpose.

Simon

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 13 Oct 2011, 10:29

I have my other TT bars back. Your welcome to try them, they will put your arms further back

Strawburger

Postby Strawburger » 13 Oct 2011, 13:03

Great thanks Mike, if that is ok i will try those out as well.

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 03 Nov 2011, 20:49

How did the other clip-ons go?

Strawburger

Postby Strawburger » 07 Nov 2011, 12:54

long story, haven't been on the bike yet. am planning on this wednesday if i can get my other bike built up by then! otherwise it will be the indoor trainer on wednesday.

from what i can gather these ones should suit me perfect. i should be able to tell straight away so i can buy some (and return yours!)

Strawburger

Postby Strawburger » 21 Nov 2011, 12:13

Finally got out on the bike on the weekend to test out the TT bars. These ones are a lot more comfortable than the previous set. In the first few kms i felt like a drunk on a unicycle, but once i worked out my weight distribution i was flying - like Luke Durbridge at Copenhagen sans talent, equipment and good looks! The TT bars certainly make you feel like you are going a lot faster. I now plan to invest in a set similar to these. I will let you know Mike when the new purchase is made so i can return the borrowed set.

Return to “Road”