A rainbow lorikeet and a vomit free ride

Road cycling & upcoming rides
Eleri

Postby Eleri » 27 Nov 2011, 19:33

Never a dull moment on a C25s ride to Waterfall.

I got entangled with a rainbow lorikeet or something. It was arguing with its friend, probably a domestic of some sort, as we passed by in Sans Souci this morning. And then it somehow flew into me and got stuck between me, the top tube, my arms etc. Couldn't get out. Flapped like crazy and there were wings and feathers everywhere. Actually, it was a bit ticklish. Fortunately I was too dim witted to try and help it and it freed itself and flew away. Everyone else was either a) terrified we would all have a stack as I was sitting on the front or b) pissing themselves laughing.

Now this is the 3rd bird incident in 3 weeks - there was that duck that acted as leadout for Mike on the adventure ride; last week we nearly took out a crow that was walking across the bike lane up near Engadine somewhere and then this.

And one of our number nearly spewed, but managed to keep C25 proudly spew-free on yet another ride.

geoff m

Postby geoff m » 27 Nov 2011, 21:21

Not quite...........

In the middies I was haning on....breathing hard.....then found a hair down my throat in a sensitive area....started coughing, then gagging.....then a bit of breaky over my knicks........narrowly missing the middle strip of the road (just as you turn of General Homes Drive past the cafe in the park)

Luckily I was at the back so no one knows about it.

Karzie

Postby Karzie » 28 Nov 2011, 08:22

Ah, a hair down the back of the throat....I'll have to remember that one...

Addit: Maybe it was the hair of the dog
Last edited by Karzie on 28 Nov 2011, 11:10, edited 1 time in total.

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 28 Nov 2011, 09:24

Not quite...........

In the middies I was haning on....breathing hard.....then found a hair down my throat in a sensitive area....started coughing, then gagging.....then a bit of breaky over my knicks........narrowly missing the middle strip of the road (just as you turn of General Homes Drive past the cafe in the park)

Luckily I was at the back so no one knows about it.
Hate it when there's nowhere to go but through such a patch! :twisted:

Lizanne

Postby Lizanne » 28 Nov 2011, 09:50

james had a cow incident on the fixie century!

Karzie

Postby Karzie » 28 Nov 2011, 11:14

Maybe we should have a presentation category at the Xmas Party like "Best Wildlife Interaction" or something. We could use the forum to vote... They were all pretty amazing events. Any we haven't heard about (there'd have to be witnesses!).

rhys

Postby rhys » 28 Nov 2011, 12:09

That sounds like a good idea Karzie. I would put forward an idea for a 'most vomit shed while riding' award, but thats just me being biased.

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 28 Nov 2011, 12:21

That sounds like a good idea Karzie. I would put forward an idea for a 'most vomit shed while riding' award, but thats just me being biased.
With this present one, I've seen 2 other episodes of Geoff in past years. A definite front runner.

Karzie

Postby Karzie » 28 Nov 2011, 13:02

The only problem here is the quantitative analysis. Failing that, comparison photos may be required. This could also lead to other categories such as 'most messy vomit' (that's a cracker) or 'most colorful'...

shrubb face

Postby shrubb face » 28 Nov 2011, 16:27

I thought Geoff's incident might have occured on the way back when John was driving the pace on the front of the bunch. In which case we can blame John not the hair.

jbcow

Postby jbcow » 28 Nov 2011, 17:01

I thought Geoff's incident might have occured on the way back when John was driving the pace on the front of the bunch. In which case we can blame John not the hair.
er... Could have been outbound too, John was on the go from the starting line.

Peter T

Postby Peter T » 28 Nov 2011, 17:20

All this talk of upchucks!

Was a great ride on Sunday. Huge Middies, 22 in the 28's, and 6 in the 25's.

Eleri easily won Catch Of The Day with her capture and release of a lorrikeet on the fly, all whilst leading the bunch and not missing a pedalstroke.

Why those lorrikeets were hanging around there, possibly only Geoff knows.

Here are some pics to prove it wasn't raining...

Johnj

Postby Johnj » 28 Nov 2011, 21:21

A first for me. All the way to Waterfall with the C25s without getting dropped. (Hence the big grin in the photo)

Curiously I was next to Eleri when the lorikeet incident occurred, but I didn't know what happened until she told me.

And no, it wasn't me who nearly spewed.

Eleri

Postby Eleri » 02 Jan 2012, 14:51

Well today I almost blotted my copybook as DHBC Wildlife Officer. I nearly ran over a goanna that must have been the same length as me and probably about the same weight. It was thinking about crossing the road to West Head, but chose to do this in dappled shadow so I didn't see it as it was on a downhill section. Fortunately it realised in the nick of time that I was coming and turned back to the verge. But I reckon I was within cms of taking it out, and probably myself too.

I have never seen a lizard that big.

Return to “Road”