Get ready to register for Ken Dinnerville race 29th 9am!

Road cycling & upcoming rides
rhys

Postby rhys » 28 May 2012, 19:01

NSW open racing is a major step up from riding Waterfall with the club.
No kidding. I've decided I'm not really cut out to be a racing cyclist.

geoff m

Postby geoff m » 28 May 2012, 20:41

In lieu of a detailed race report (the duty to do this falls to Adrian as the best placed DHBC rider!) here are the club results:

First of all the finish order:

http://www.nsw.cycling.org.au/site/cycl ... 0order.pdf

Place 16 Adrian EMILSEN GROUP 9 (7:30 handicap) Time: 2:22:37
Place 53 Matthew WALLMAN GROUP 5 (21:30 handicap) Time: 2:11:21
Place 67 Tim STEPHENS GROUP 8 (12:30 handicap) Time: 2:20:23
Place 101 Michael CLEMENT GROUP 7 (16:00 handicap) Time: 2:21:45
Place 113 Simon BERRY GROUP 9 (7:30 handicap) Time: 2:33:06
Place 115 Geoff MARTIN GROUP 9 (7:30 handicap) Time: 2:46:09

Then the individual times:

http://www.nsw.cycling.org.au/site/cycl ... 0order.pdf

Place 40 Matthew WALLMAN GROUP 5 (21:30 handicap) Time: 2:11:21
Place 86 Tim STEPHENS GROUP 8 (12:30 handicap) Time: 2:20:23
Place 89 Michael CLEMENT GROUP 7 (16:00 handicap) Time: 2:21:45
Place 91 Adrian EMILSEN GROUP 9 (7:30 handicap) Time: 2:22:37
Place 113 Simon BERRY GROUP 9 (7:30 handicap) Time: 2:33:06
Place 115 Geoff MARTIN GROUP 9 (7:30 handicap) Time: 2:46:09

And here are the finish photos (there is a great one of Geoff in the second who looks exceptionally relaxed!):

http://www.nsw.cycling.org.au/site/cycl ... to%201.jpg

http://www.nsw.cycling.org.au/site/cycl ... to%202.jpg

You will need to zoom right in then scroll across.
Yes....very relaxed. Individual time trial for last 40kms and still managed 31kms per hour. I slept from 9pm to 7am and missed Eurovision :evil:

It was so fun time trialing at the very back, that all the marshalls starting packing up, and I got lost with the turnoff, and went down the wrong road before returning back and getting it right. I have Strava to prove it. And when finishing I was tempted to run over the roundabout because there was no Commissaire there either. Then at the finishing line they were taking everything down, but they saw me coming and ran across the road and turned the machine back on and I went 'PING' as I finished.

I told my family that I came second last, and they laughed. I'm going back to them now that I came 115 out of 180. That's much better. :D

Adrian E

Postby Adrian E » 29 May 2012, 09:07

I started the Dinnerville with one goal in mind which was not to get dropped on the final lap. I still had memories of falling off the back of the bunch the last time I raced the Dinnerville in 2008! Our bunch, as Taylor and Simon, have mentioned was not working that well with a lot of people failing to pull turns and others dropping wheels so the paceline was falling apart and we'd often have to wait to regroup. I felt pretty good during the race and didn't feel like I was pushing myself too hard. We never caught the limit bunch but were finally caught by Tim's bunch 8 and the following bunch 7 on the final lap as we headed towards Marshal Mount for the last time. A few limit riders had got away to secure the KOM and were dangling up the road ahead of us. As we crested the hill a select bunch had speed up and strung out. It was there that I had to make my first big effort to make sure they did pull away from me. To my surprise, that was it. There was no-one behind us and only a few limit riders up the road. The last 10kms were pretty fast and I knew that I would need to move up in the bunch if I wanted to be up there at the finish but it was pretty hard to move anywhere without getting stuck on the wrong side of the road and facing straight into the wind. We flew towards the finish with the crazy roundabout 250m from the finish line. I gave it everything I had but I had to improve my position but I was never going to contest the sprint. I came in 16th place and was pretty happy with finishing my first open handicap with the winning bunch. Goal achieved!

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 29 May 2012, 20:57

[Race_Report = Mikesbytes]I sucked[/Race_Report]

Eleri

Postby Eleri » 29 May 2012, 21:09

Great photo Adrian! You look totally focussed and committed. Congratulations on being in the bunch sprint at the end.

geoff m

Postby geoff m » 29 May 2012, 21:54

I remember this one. Traffic control accidentally let two lanes of traffic over a one and a bit lane bridge just as we were approaching at 45 kms per hour. Phew!!!!!!

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 30 May 2012, 10:53

[Race_Report = Mikesbytes]I sucked[/Race_Report]
Relax Mike, most people after going through what you've been through earlier this year would still be at home recovering from the injuries. Be proud of what you've done!

rhys

Postby rhys » 30 May 2012, 13:58

Geoff, was your bunch swarmed on by about 30 Mini's on a club drive? They overtook us quite precariously, just as Mike's bunch went past me. I actually tried to draft one of the Mini's while I was trapped in their convoy, like the pro's do but it must have looked ridiculous. Even in the drops, my whole body was higher than the roof of the car.

Eleri

Postby Eleri » 30 May 2012, 19:04

I, however, could draft behind a mini ...

Adrian E

Postby Adrian E » 31 May 2012, 15:48

There's now a big image gallery from the Ken Dinnerville here:
http://www.onlinepictureproof.com/sweat ... nts/264785
Some great photos by Simon from http://sweatandgears.com/

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 31 May 2012, 16:05

Ha, that's my bike on the front page

Strawburger

Postby Strawburger » 31 May 2012, 16:35

Every photo i'm in i seem to be at or near the front of the bunch. That means one of three things:

1. I subliminally know there is a good photo opportunity when it presents itself
2. I spend too much time on the front
3. I hired the photographer

Strawburger

Postby Strawburger » 31 May 2012, 16:46

I remember this one. Traffic control accidentally let two lanes of traffic over a one and a bit lane bridge just as we were approaching at 45 kms per hour. Phew!!!!!!
Yes, i remember that one too. My brown pants moment for the day!

Some great action photos on Adrian's link, loads of red which is great to see!

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 02 Jun 2012, 20:47

OK race report

Background and Start Out
The day before I did a spin class then went out and did the Sydney Road Titles, my first race back, where I was quite nervous, but it gave me the confidence for the Dinnerval. Out of 170 riders there was only one rider older than me on a harder handicap, but I felt confident on the line, but as soon as we went up the connector rd, I knew I was in trouble. Even before we made it onto lap 1, we lost the other older rider in the group.

Lap 1
The bunch was hot, I knew that if I could stick it, then I'll be there for the finish. I was struggling, but I was in there. I went thru the loop in the school on the front and didn't see the parking bumps until it was too late and had to take a diversion onto the gravel behind them. Next lap there was an orange cone there... We had made a huge inroad into the bunch in front in 1/2 a lap. The hill was hot and we shredded more riders but I made it over. We continued to eat into the group in front.

Lap 2
Going up the hill, I was starting to roll off, I looked down at my speedo and I was doing 20kph on the steep bit, I knew last year I was doing 22kph and that was the difference between going over the top on the front and being dropped and dropped I was, leaving only 8 riders in my bunch. For the next 3 or so K I really gunned it trying to get back on, for a while I thought I could do it, then I realised it was useless. Looking behind me, I could see for miles and there wasn't a single rider and since I've only done one training ride since January, I decided to turn it into a time trail training session. However what came interesting was that I was gaining on the bunch in front of my bunch, but I did realise that once my bunch caught them, that would change, but what the hell, you play your cards and take your chances. After going around the northern turnaround and getting the tail wind, things didn't go so well, I noted I was doing 42kph in a place where we went thru at 48kph the prior lap, I knew I was going backwards at a rapid rate and then 2/3 the way to the hill I was caught by Matts group, which I realised was going slower than my group, most of the dropped riders from my group were in it.

Lap 3
The u-turn thru the school to start the 3rd lap and all of a sudden I was in trouble, loosing the rubberband game. I rode solo to the hill and was about 30 seconds behind at the base of the hill. Then came the hill... all of a sudden I didn't have drive, I slowed to a snail's pace and block went past without a chance to get on. At the top I waited a for another rider from my group to get my wheel and then I headed off for another time trial, we picked up rider #133 (what group?) and worked together as a team, though I was doing about 50% of the work. We came upon Strawbuger and I said 'jump on' but Strawbuger's face said it all

Home
The other 2 riders were wasted and after waiting, we decided to go our own way and I took off and gunned it to the line solo. My worst ever result, unless you want to count when I raced with the remnants of the flu, having taking sickie Mon - Fri. Oh well at least I bet scratch.

Post Analysis
I see that the winner was from my bunch, my prediction early on that they were hot proved to be true. On the hill I had the fastest DHBC time of the DHBC riders who had published on Strava. Matt wasn't there, I'm guessing he would of been quicker.

Now I'm wondering if I should enter Wagga... entries close tomorrow.

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 03 Jun 2012, 23:17

StrawBUGER? Buggered? :)

Return to “Road”