C 25's Ride Report Sunday 30th September

Road cycling & upcoming rides
Dougie

Postby Dougie » 30 Sep 2012, 13:01

Despite a long weekend, two grand finals and school holidays, there was a strong turnout for this morning's ride right across all bunches. Congratulations to those riders whom continue to move up a bunch. May you continue to ride like tigers!

I had the pleasure of taking the 25's this morning. We had a number of new riders and a couple of DHBCers whom have stepped up to add Waterfall to their Palmares. Well done to all for a great achievement. We averaged 25.6 to the 7-11, picking up a little more speed on the run back to Marrickville. Plenty of smiles at the cafe. Although I think those smiles were more to do with getting out of the headwind than anything else.

From a mechanical perspective, Peter T collected a screw in his tyre about five km from waterfall on the run out. He was happy to fix it by himself and catch up. I never saw him again so I kinda hope he's ok. Johnj has a squeak in his bottom bracket that has the potential to cause some annoyance if he had to ride like 80km to waterfall. Fortunately for us all John appeared serene about it and there were no bad words uttered.

Great to have so many ladies in the bunch. We were quite evenly matched. About half the bunch had a stab at a pace line on the way home. We stopped on the waterfall bridge for a briefing and when I was asked what a pace line is I had a brief thought that this had the potential to all go horribly awry. Fortunately all was well with two groups giving it a red hot go. Super effort everyone. One odd point was when we passed waratah park on the way back. An Audi zoomed passed us then did a 180 at the roundabout, filming us with his iPhone out his window. I didn't get this impression from our riding style that we were blocking traffic nor cycling in a haphazard manner. So if you see us on Facebook that's the story.

I would also like to note that the skill level has continued to increase. Calling was excellent, swapping off was smooth. Station keeping was outstanding and on reflection I think this was the most 'competent' rides I have been on in a while. I also wish to acknowledge Lindsay's presence in the Bunch. Lindsay always has a calm word and an easy manner with riders.

There are a couple of riders whom I think could at the very least start with the 28's next week. So please give that some consideration.

In closing, we were passed by various bunches along the route. Whilst they appeared courteous, they were often all over the road. Clearly our strategy of four bunches seems to keep us well controlled.

Great work once again, 'til next time.

Dougie

Trouty

Postby Trouty » 30 Sep 2012, 14:45

Thanks Dougie for taking the week we volunteered for. I just spent the morning walking in the mountains to Hanging Rock. It was only 7km, but it seemed harder than any 80km bike ride. Give me wheels any day.

Sounded like a big bunch today.

Johnj

Postby Johnj » 30 Sep 2012, 20:46

Johnj has a squeak in his bottom bracket that has the potential to cause some annoyance if he had to ride like 80km to waterfall. Fortunately for us all John appeared serene about it and there were no bad words uttered.
You must be getting Alzheimer's Dougie. :D My bottom bracket was making squeaking noises at Slowies yesterday. Different bike today, and no squeak.

A lovely ride today. I dropped the chain on the way back on the Grand Parade and couldn't quite solo back to the bunch, so I just took the bike path back.

Strange with the Audi driver today. He'd be extremely foolish to put any photos/footage online, documenting him driving with a camera phone held out the window. It's 3 points for using a mobile while driving and another 3 for the protruding limb. And all to record us riding legally.

timothy_clifford

Postby timothy_clifford » 30 Sep 2012, 20:58

Strange with the Audi driver today. He'd be extremely foolish to put any photos/footage online, documenting him driving with a camera phone held out the window. It's 3 points for using a mobile while driving and another 3 for the protruding limb. And all to record us riding legally.
Maybe he's a fan of the club?

marc2131

Postby marc2131 » 01 Oct 2012, 06:50

Someone from the DHBC bunch, I assume the Fasties or Middies, left a small container of 'Blistex lip conditioner cream' on one of the tables at the M'ville Rd Cafe. I have it with me if you'd like it back.

Return to “Road”