Bike Carriers

Road cycling & upcoming rides
Hashtag

Postby Hashtag » 31 Oct 2012, 16:21

Hello,

I am getting a little over having my back seats down in my car all the time to accommodate the bike. I would love any suggestions on bike carriers. On top of the car looks neat and seems popular, but I have to go into either a carport or garage and WILL forget it is up there. So that is a no go for me. Something on the back of the car is preferred. I do have a tow bar. Was looking at the one that holds the bike by the top tube, Someone suggested it is better for a carbon bike to go on one of those platform ones, where it takes the weight on the wheels?

JoTheBuilder

Postby JoTheBuilder » 31 Oct 2012, 17:58

I've got a tow ball mounted Thule. It holds 3 bikes but it's a tight squeeze. Mine hold the bikes by the top tube but you are at risk of scratching the down tube if you are short like me and have a small bike... I tend not to carry the roadie on it so I don't scratch it so generally just carry the MTB or fixie.

You also need a bike rack number plate but it's easily mounted on the rack.

However, I have a Mazda 3 and when the tow ball is on it obscures the number plate. The police have given me a warning and next time I will be fined. Mazda have admitted it is a bad design but not many people get tow balls installed. So it means that if I am not carrying the bike I have to take the tow ball off and that gets annoying... So I just leave the back seats down.

But when I do bother to put the tow ball on it's a very convenient and lightweight rack.

GregPankhurst

Postby GregPankhurst » 01 Nov 2012, 05:57

I've got one of these, which I would describe at rather simple though effective:

http://www.torpedo7.com.au/products/T7C ... -bike-rack

I think though it probably fails the elegant and convenient solution test. It's probably more work taking it on and off than laying the seats down in your car, and it's too big and cumbersome to set and forget.

I can get my bike in and out of my car (Volvo XC90) rather easily though without having to drop the seats, so I'm fortunate in that respect

p.s. thanks for the tip on the specialized saddles

Richard

Postby Richard » 01 Nov 2012, 18:49

Greg

If you get a towbar option make sure you get a NSW RTA issued bike rack number plate.

I have been pinged for 3 points and $305 dollars for obscuring the number plate by a bike rack.

AAARRRGGGHHH - even more so because it was a double point long weekend

I also have Thule carriers for roof racks that are often on special on Torpedo 7 for $139.

GregPankhurst

Postby GregPankhurst » 01 Nov 2012, 20:52

Yeah, I'm bike plated up.

bnej

Postby bnej » 03 Nov 2012, 14:52

Roof carriers are the way to do it, just find a way to make sure you remember to take them off before driving under low roofs.

Definitely avoid anything that pinches the top tube on a carbon bike as it will break it. Also make sure your wheels are clear of your hot exhaust if mounting it on the back, as you can destroy tyres or carbon wheels that way.

Return to “Road”