Rapha Women's 100 - Sunday 7th July

Road cycling & upcoming rides
JoTheBuilder

Postby JoTheBuilder » 05 Jul 2013, 09:39

Hi All,

This year, Rapha are hosting the "Rapah Women's 100" on the 7th July. This is a global event getting thousands of women from around the world to ride 100km in a single ride whereever they are.

In Sydney, the ride will be leaving from 410 Crown St, Surry Hills at 6:30am. All women are welcome (sorry boys). It is a no-drop ride, averaging approx 25km/h and 1000m of climbing. The ride will head up north towards Church Point and through McCarrs Creek before returning to Surry Hills for celebratory coffee and drinks (and rumour has it, potentially champagne).

As with any ride, you are required to bring your own essentials including food, repair kit and inner tube, but there will be a support van on the ride.

This event is hosted by Klara Sedlackova who is a previous NRS rider and has done a lot for women's cycling in Sydney. And from what I can tell on the Facebook list, Avril Swan is also going, an ex pro rider from Ireland. So if you'd like to hang out with some very experienced riders, this is the ride for you!

At this stage I know of Eleri and I going. Who else is in?

P.S. Due to previous AFL committments, Eleri and I may need to skip a stop or too and leave the bunch to make it home in time.

Eleri

Postby Eleri » 05 Jul 2013, 13:15

P.S. Due to previous AFL committments, Eleri and I may need to skip a stop or too and leave the bunch to make it home in time.
Actually, bugger the footy! I'm going to a musical afternoon at Admiralty House with the GG :-)

JoTheBuilder

Postby JoTheBuilder » 09 Jul 2013, 17:12

This was a fantastic ride and I am hoping to soon have some photos. Most of you would know the Akuna loop up through Narrabeen (we did not do West Head) and the weather was fantastic.

Klara (from Rapha and SCC) did a fabulous job of organising. She had 4 ride leaders amongst 2 bunches, a faster and slower group. Eleri and I went with the faster group, rocking our Lululemon kit, but it was a very steady pace up to Akuna. Climbing the hills was up to the individual as we re grouped up the top but it was heartening to see that, when compared to women, perhaps I am not such a bad climber after all!

We stopped at the Church Point Cafe where we partook of Klara's home made energy bars. So good I decided to make some myself last night. Here is the recipe for those who are interested:
http://powerhungry.com/2008/06/homemade ... s-no-bake/

As mentioned earlier, Eleri and I had to make our way home a bit earlier and so chugged off the 'fast' way up the Wakehurst Pkwy. Having never ridden this route before, Eleri neglected to mention the last sharp climb up to the lights. However, it wasn't helped by the fact I managed to do it in the large chain ring having forgotten to change down a gear.

Klara, as a rep of Rapha (working at the new store on Crown St) is hoping to organise more 'women only' rides of this nature. For the women in the club, I thoroughly recommend coming along to the next one. All standards are catered for (though a road bike is probably a good idea).

I will post photos as they come to hand.

Jo

Eleri

Postby Eleri » 09 Jul 2013, 19:11

Yeah well, what can I say, I forgot that hill. Mind you I had my chain on the small ring.

It was a good ride overall. A few women did their first ever 100km ride which was pretty good to be a part of. A chap rode alongside with a video and camera. I did my best to look moody and focus on the middle distance. The fact we were not in Rapha kit probably cruels our chances of getting in the worldwide vid that will no doubt emerge :-)

Stuart

Postby Stuart » 12 Jul 2013, 16:11

what. not flying the DHBC flag Madam President :shock:

anna_g

Postby anna_g » 12 Jul 2013, 18:55

Was planning to do this ride, slept through the alarm..Tdf the night before till about 2ish... (who would have thought movistar isolated Froome, Porte had a terrible day, and Froome survived!)
Upon waking up at 6.15am, rushed brekkie and off to surry hills, got there about 7.10..missed the starting line :cry:
Klara, as a rep of Rapha (working at the new store on Crown St) is hoping to organise more 'women only' rides of this nature. For the women in the club, I thoroughly recommend coming along to the next one. All standards are catered for (though a road bike is probably a good idea).
Will try ma best not to miss the next one :mrgreen:

Return to “Road”