DHBC Gran Fondo Cup

Road cycling & upcoming rides
Trouty

Postby Trouty » 15 Sep 2013, 12:58

Perfect weather for the Gran Fondo Cup, so as a spectator I will let them tell their stories but here is my form guide:

Christian Lees - odds on favourite
After giving last years riders a hard time saying it's a 'ride' not a race, he has realised there is a start line, a finish line and a chip...he was racing for a UCI medal. He's home now and has beat the DHBC field as expected in overall time, and confirmed a UCI medal, overall rank 129 in the whole race.

Mark Lacey
Was always going to finish strong, and beat Christian by 2 seconds on the climb, also earned himself a UCI medal, ranked 385 overall and 34 for his age

Jo skinner - the dark horse
Who knows what the tri training has done for this filly, but I suspect she is going to finish strong. Already leading the other boys in the KOM, and beat them home.

Warren Munce
After entering for fun only, Wazza has got himself a first in his category for the Media Fondo, and 54th overall. Well done considering your training this weekend has been more intensity on Wine than on the bike

Mark Hales
This horse has been injured and opted for the medio Fondo also but has cracked a win in his category and 3rd overall. Way to go Hales who also opted for the high intensity wine training method.

Adam Farrer
We have been away with adam on several cycling trips and each time we get a glimpse that this quiet, meak and mild mannered stallion once lived a previous life much wilder than his current vegetarian, Pilate & non drinking way of life. There is still aggression in there some where and he is not far behind Jo on the KOM

Andrew Belford
Another mystery who has kept his training regime close to his chest. I think he was beaten on the KOM by Adam by just a few seconds, and unfortunately Andrew....jo's home so you have just been chicked.

Stuart Hickson
This thoroughbred has been wildly out of form with a lung infection and has been tapering off the bike for 2 weeks. but in true Hickson form he plugged on, hopefully the carbo loading pasta he cooked last night has helped him get through. Apparently Stu had a coughing fit on the ride next to a doctor who said he shouldn't be on the ride and was shocked at his Max heart rate.
Last edited by Trouty on 15 Sep 2013, 14:04, edited 5 times in total.

Dougie

Postby Dougie » 15 Sep 2013, 13:10

Nice work as DS Trouty. I note that Keith Winsor is in a bakery in Lorne eating guilt free.

Trouty

Postby Trouty » 15 Sep 2013, 13:13

Nice work as DS Trouty. I note that Keith Winsor is in a bakery in Lorne eating guilt free.
I thinking Christian is smiling as he beat Keith overall and in the climb. We think it was the performance enhancing pasta Stuey and Christian cooked last night. Woohoo.

Eleri

Postby Eleri » 15 Sep 2013, 14:39

Oh well, I had a year of being special with a unique UCI medal (and being rubbished by Christian because it wasn't a race)! Congrats to everyone. Great work Christian and Mark - but to everyone who rode. Such a shame you couldn't ride Jo! :-(

Trouty

Postby Trouty » 15 Sep 2013, 14:42

I hate to say it... Eleri, given Mark and Christian just got a UCI medal.....you've just been bloked!

I also found out if I'd I drafted Skinner the whole way, her time would have got me within the top 10 in my category. A UCI medal ...maybe next year.

So proud of all the DHBC peeps.

JoTheBuilder

Postby JoTheBuilder » 15 Sep 2013, 16:25

I hate to say it...it Eleri, given Mark and Christian just got a UCI medal.....you've just been bloked!

I also found out if I'd I drafted Skinner the whole way, her time would have got me within the top 10 in my category. A UCI medal ...maybe next year.
It's ok Eleri. There are a number of DHBC blokes on the ride today who got chicked! By me!

I got 14th out of 28th so a little way to go before a UCI medal for me... Next year I say. Next year.

Trouty

Postby Trouty » 15 Sep 2013, 17:58

Hey President

Your age category was tough, the times were faster in the top 10 Wmas5 than in Wmas4, but I think You would have done it. 4 hours 5 mins was the 10th fastest wmas5 woman.

Stuart

Postby Stuart » 16 Sep 2013, 17:41

Yeah so I got chicked .. only by 25 minutes .... a mere trifling over 110k's :-) (she's 23 years younger so 1 min per year really) and something I'm totally used to being the other half of Trouty

It's a great ride with a fabulous parcours and I encourage more DHBC riders to get down there next year.

Here's Christian & Mark L with their UCI medals for coming in the top 25% of their gae group - JoTheBuilder missed out by 5 mins whereas I missed out by just 46 mins :shock:

MarkL

Postby MarkL » 20 Sep 2013, 16:28

Wow!! What a ride!! Ok, it's a race ;-)
Having said that, you can ride it as you like.
This is a well organised event with great scenery and it was a joy to ride on closed roads. I hadn't been around this area of Victoria and I'm glad I made the visit.
My strategy was to ride tempo along the coast and take in the views on offer and then ride hard up the climb.
There were around 3500 riders doing my ride and I thought it might've been a little busy on the road. I was in the 7th wave of 200 riders released at 90s intervals and it worked well from what I saw, there was always room to pass or be passed with the roads closed.
I finished the ride suitably challenged and placed in the top 25%, getting a medal and the oppitunity to do the World Masters Road Race next year.

I highly recommend this ride :-)
PS, it has 2 climbs ;-)

Mark

MarkL

Postby MarkL » 20 Sep 2013, 16:30

Oh...and I high fived the devil near the top of the main climb :-)

JoTheBuilder

Postby JoTheBuilder » 20 Sep 2013, 20:45

'2 Climbs'... Understatement of the year.

Eleri

Postby Eleri » 20 Sep 2013, 23:37

I only remember one!

MarkL

Postby MarkL » 21 Sep 2013, 12:16

'2 Climbs'... Understatement of the year.
2 climbs.......and numerous undulations ;-)

MarkL

Postby MarkL » 21 Sep 2013, 12:21

I only remember one!
Does that mean it gets easier as you get older? ;-)
1 climb must be easier than 2!

Eleri

Postby Eleri » 23 Sep 2013, 01:17

Does that mean it gets easier as you get older? ;-)
1 climb must be easier than 2!
Not so long 'til you find out my friend!

Return to “Road”