Waratah Park - My First Race

Road cycling & upcoming rides
Jacqui

Postby Jacqui » 28 Oct 2013, 11:03

If you had asked me on New Years Day 2013 if I would ever enter a bike race, it would have been a resounding ‘NO’. But how much has changed in 9 months. A little New Years resolution to ride this year has had far more impact than I would have ever imagined.

I had decided I would like a road bike but really couldn’t justify one until I demonstrated to myself I would ride a new bike. So searched the net for bike clubs in the area and liked the look of Dulwich Hill (and the colour of the jersey). I cleaned the dirt and cobwebs off my old blue bike and joined the Saturday Slowies on what I call my mountain which has actually got a sticker on it staying ‘not suitable for off road purposes’! The bike weighs a ton at about 15kg. Everyone else on the ride had a road bike and after I’d been twice I convinced myself that I really would ride a road bike if I had one.

On Australia Day, I bought a pre-loved road bike. And around April I joined Jess and the ladies/girls on a Saturday afternoon at the track. It was through Jess’ encouragement last week that I found myself in a bike race at Waratah Park in Loftus yesterday.

I was very nervous about entering a race as I have never raced in my life. No swimming, I still can’t swim to this day. And no running either. No chance I’ll ever be a tri-athlete. Just as well since I am privy to ‘the rules’ which state a bike race is never preceded or followed by a run or a swim ;)

After a very anxious week and an upgrade of my silver licence to a Gold racing licence, the big day arrived. I wanted to make sure I had plenty of time so a 5am alarm call (that really is too early for a Sunday), quick bite to eat and a warm up ride from home to the track. Is 30km a warm up? The sun shone (I was hoping for torrential rain so I could chicken out), temperature was just right and there not even a hint of a breeze. At 7.30am wearing my DHBC jersey for the very first time I found myself lining up with a dozen other women at the start line. Just to add to my anxiety, I nearly missed the start because I went to take off my thermal and when I got back, everyone was already lined up waiting for me. As I stood there on the line with my bike, I had my first chance to look around at my competition … they look so athletic, so experienced and soooooo formidable.

The race started and we were off for 20 mins plus 2 laps of racing. Being my first race, I didn’t expect to win but I didn’t want to be last either. The first two laps were moderate pace but then it was on. For the first half of the race I had been sitting about midway in the group but after one of the laps I suddenly found I was near then back of the group. Its amazing how quickly the formation changes. I had no intention of being dropped and coming last so on the next lap worked hard to move up to the front half of the group. Race strategy and tactic is something I will need to learn but it was interesting to see the clubs who had several members competing work together as a team.

During the last two laps the pace was really on. The group split and I remained with the front group and crossed the line 6th out of 13 starters.

My secret weapon during the race was my performance enhancing personal cheer squad. I could hear Jess (and Aoife), Dayna and Kylie cheering me on every time I went past. They were fantastic support

How did I feel? It was nerve wracking beforehand but once the race started I no time to think about that, I was too busy trying to hang on
Would I do it again? Yes, I think I will give it another go
What would I do differently? I need a ‘race face’ particularly one that is smiling and looks as if I am finding it easy :)

Thanks to Jess for her encouragement to race and Jess, Dayna, Kylie and Arthur for your support leading up to the event and on the day. I couldn’t have done it without you!

Jacqui :D :D :D

marc2131

Postby marc2131 » 28 Oct 2013, 11:20

Was riding with the Middies yesterday and saw a DHBC rider 'warming up' (maybe) in the carpark area opposite to Rawson Ave, Sutherland (just before it hits the highway). Assume that was you. Anyway congrats on your placing.

RR-M

Postby RR-M » 28 Oct 2013, 11:21

Bravo Jacqui ! The bug is circling we think, more racing on road and track for the near future. Chrissy carnival track meets (see Events in CNSW website) might pique your competitive spirit further. If you want that gearing/cadence calculator we spoke about at the track last wednesday night, email me at knainusa@hotmail.com and I'll forward the spreadsheet to you.
regards
Ruby and Alan

JoTheBuilder

Postby JoTheBuilder » 28 Oct 2013, 11:52

That's fantastic Jacqui! Great effort and excellent result.

We will have to get Dayna and Kylie to line up next to you next race... ;-)

scully

Postby scully » 28 Oct 2013, 13:28

wow Jacqui. I didnt know you were freaking out- looked cool as a cucumber

yes Jo,we are going next week
The people were all superfriendly. It's all about participation for women and not meant to be too serious. They do some neutral laps at the start and everyone encourages riders to keep going if dropped-they even said you can jump back in if lapped !!!
So i'm going to go next week and would encourage all women who have never been in a race to come. You don't have to be super fit. It's for beginners. The only riding I do is once a week at the track and the occasional slowies. I will definately get dropped but it really doesn't matter-It will be fun.
Any of the junior women who raced raw this year could do this for sure.Anyone who wants to have a go but is a bit scared- get in touch.
details here
http://www.southerncrosscc.com.au/wp-co ... g-2013.pdf
only five bucks

Dougie

Postby Dougie » 28 Oct 2013, 15:09

great report!

Eleri

Postby Eleri » 28 Oct 2013, 19:38

Congratulations Jacqui! First race and you learned a lot. And less than a year after you started riding with us. Really well done. Keep going - it only gets better.

Jacqui

Postby Jacqui » 30 Oct 2013, 11:24

Thanks everyone for your messages of support.

Jacqui

anna_g

Postby anna_g » 01 Nov 2013, 17:12

Great stuff Jacqui!
I'll join u guys for the race this sunday :)

Trouty

Postby Trouty » 02 Nov 2013, 18:35

Well done Jacqui. You sound like you enjoyed it...you will be hooked soon and your fitness will leap to another level once you have some races to aim for, thus a reason to train. Keep it up, love your report.

Return to “Road”