Ashfield Cycles / Specialized Cup Sunday 12 October

Road cycling & upcoming rides
Eleri

Postby Eleri » 28 Sep 2014, 12:49

Entries for the Ashfield Cycles / Specialized Cup will close this Tuesday, 30 September. You can enter now through the CNSW web site.

The event will be held at Eastern Creek Raceway (SMSP) on Sunday 12 October. It's a graded scratch race accross six grades. Prizes will be in excess of $3,000 plus all riders will be entered into a raffle with prizes to the value of $1,000.

Racing starts at 7 am for all grades.

Beejay1188

Postby Beejay1188 » 28 Sep 2014, 13:08

Do you know if you can buy a day licence for this Eleri?

Eleri

Postby Eleri » 28 Sep 2014, 22:02

No I don't know about day licences for this. It doesn't say anything. But also not sure how you would enter without a CA licence. Maybe call CNSW and ask.

Beejay1188

Postby Beejay1188 » 29 Sep 2014, 08:25

Thanks, I will.

Stuart

Postby Stuart » 29 Sep 2014, 14:15

I may enter this although it always brings out the burglars like last year when a MMAS2 rider won D grade by about half the length of the front straight and he also won the prime ...

Anyway - anyone else looking at racing? I won't have transport that day and would need a lift.

Beejay1188

Postby Beejay1188 » 30 Sep 2014, 18:06

I might Stuart, but have got to ring CNSW and find out about licence.

I'll let you know....

Steve

Beejay1188

Postby Beejay1188 » 30 Sep 2014, 18:07

Stuart, while you're reading, how would the grading work...compared to say the Rookwood crit we just did?

Thanks.

The Ox from NZ

Postby The Ox from NZ » 30 Sep 2014, 18:12

I have entered the race. I am thinking about riding out there if anyone is keen to ride out.
Rob Webber

Stuart

Postby Stuart » 30 Sep 2014, 18:34

@Rob - no chance I'll be riding out there.

@Steve - You self grade on arrival pretty much. I raced C at Rookwood and was badly dropped but I'm not real fit at the moment - I race D at Waratahs and can stay with the bunch as long as nobody attacks early. The track is 4k and there are a couple of short little hills and a lovely fast downhill corner where I can make up ground :-) It's safe as it's very wide and the surface is excellent.

There wil be be burglars though as there's cash prizes. If you can ride C28's Waterfall then D is the grade for you. If you're a middie then consider C.

Matt T

Postby Matt T » 30 Sep 2014, 22:05

I'm a 28er to Waterfall and haven't raced since April, so I've entered in D grade - hopefully see some of you there!

Beejay1188

Postby Beejay1188 » 01 Oct 2014, 08:48

just trying to get a late entry in. Ive got someone ringing me back soon.

Seems i can get a day licence but i'm still not sure whether i can get a late registration.

If anybody out there is planning on riding, I suggest ringing up CNSW today!

Cheers,
Steve

Stuart

Postby Stuart » 01 Oct 2014, 15:49

I've decided not to race. Not really fit enough. Enjoy.

Greeny

Postby Greeny » 10 Oct 2014, 12:46

I have registered for this event. Can someone tell me if I can warm up there? And what time are others getting there? Any info would be appreciated as it's my first time going to Eastern Creek to race.
Thanks,

Laura

Peter T

Postby Peter T » 10 Oct 2014, 13:06

Hi Laura,

Great you have entered. My advice is to get out there by 6.15, register and get your number at the sign in, drink heaps and use the track itself to warm

up on. There will be lots of other riders doing the same, and you get a good idea of what is involved - including several attempts at Stuart Corner!

Get back to the start just before 7, listen to the Race Briefing, then off you go.

It's a great place to race, and the Waratahs do a pro job of running it.

Greeny

Postby Greeny » 10 Oct 2014, 17:12

Thanks Peter. Good advice. Looks like I'm off to bed early on Sat night.

Matt T

Postby Matt T » 16 Oct 2014, 22:58

(BELATED) RACE REPORT

So I got down to Eastern Creek for the second time last Sunday. I was hoping to see some other red jerseys there, but the only other DHBCer I saw was Ron, racing in E (or F). Did you make it down there White Princess, Beejay and Rob?

This time I race in Cs with 53 others (I think it was the biggest category on the day). I have a vague goal of going for the intermediate sprint, and an even vaguer dream of possibly making the podium.

We get under way and I seem to spend most of the race somewhere to the back of the bunch, jostling for wheels. About halfway through, someone attacks. I spend a fair bit of energy going up the side of the pack to bridge across, then there are two other guys. This is going to be the move of the day ... but the peloton swallows us up just as the whistle blows to announce the prime lap. No chance for that, just gotta recover and get my breath back.

The rest of the race plays out like a fast and disorganised Waterfall bunch ride. When they finally ring the bell for the last lap it's still gruppo compacto, and I'm still loitering at the back. At the small rise turning left after the straight I move up the inside to join the "heads of state", as Phil and Paul would have it. Top of the bend, I and I'm at the pointy end of affairs.

The empty road stretches ahead, I'll never win a bunch sprint, blood rushes to head ... ATTTACKKK!

Leaving the rest for dust, I scream down to the first right-hand bend, up the rise, down a little, and up the rise to the overpass before the big sweeping corner, which I have all to myself, picking my own line, powering through. I'm in with a chance here! Just this false flat drag up to the last corner before the straight .. this long, tiring, false flat.

Never mind, I'm still all alone out here, aren't I? Glance under the arms, they're coming, but can they catch the speeding red devil from DHBC?

They surely can. A wave of riders speed past me, spit me out the back. By the time we reach the final corner I've gone from dreams of glory to desperately hoping I can avoid last place. (Thankfully, careful analysis of the finish video the Waratahs put up on YouTube indicates my last-ditch face-saving efforts weren't in vain - I think I managed to snatch 49th place or thereabouts).

Oh well, onwards and upwards. Eastern Creek is a great circuit to race, and next time I might try keeping my powder dry for a little longer.

The Ox from NZ

Postby The Ox from NZ » 17 Oct 2014, 08:38

Hey Matt, thanks for the race report. Unfortunately, even though I had paid I didn't get to race, I shouldn't have prepaid. I ended up getting a stomach bug on the Wednesday before race day and haven't been on the bike since. I am feeling better now and will probably try and do a ride this weekend; perhaps a race at Lansdowne. ps have lost 6kg; down to 79kg - hopefully that will make me faster :)

Greeny

Postby Greeny » 30 Oct 2014, 18:57

Belated reply:
Great ride report Matt.
I have a similar story as The Ox from NZ. I was unwell over that weekend and couldn't race. I had also prepaid the registration.
I had a look at the Waratah's website and there isn't another Eastern Creek race coming up so I think I will have to give Lansdowne a go.
Laura

Return to “Road”