Waratah Masters - Heffron - Sunday 8 February

Road cycling & upcoming rides
John Mason

Postby John Mason » 05 Feb 2015, 21:42

Hi all

I'm planning to do this event on Sunday. Is anyone else keen?

I'll either roll out with the 28 bunch at 6.30, or leave the post office square at 7.00. Either way i'll be heading for 8.15 B grade start time (same as D grade start time). other grades start later or earlier.

hope to see some other red jerseys

details are at this link: http://www.waratahmasters.com.au/eventsmenu.cfm

John

Dave_Ranx

Postby Dave_Ranx » 06 Feb 2015, 08:06

i know its a masters john but whats the age minimum?

kiwiames

Postby kiwiames » 06 Feb 2015, 08:36

Hey John - What is the entry fee for the Vets races? Can't find it on their website.

I might go out for B grade also.

kiwiames

Postby kiwiames » 06 Feb 2015, 08:38

i know its a masters john but whats the age minimum?

Hey Dave - 30

jonboy

Postby jonboy » 06 Feb 2015, 09:37

Even though I'm out of shape I might join you in B grade too - I need to justify the extra cost of having a race licence.

See you 6:30am on Sunday at the cafe?

John Mason

Postby John Mason » 06 Feb 2015, 19:51

Yes, masters starts at 30. Don't know why that is when many top pros are in their early 30s, but anyhoo...

i think entry fee is about $10-$15, they also have a discount rate if you want to pay for a year in advance.

& yes, 6.30 from the normal Sunday morning departure point, then turn left down at grand parade instead of right, and a leisurely pedal over east.

if anyone turns up who needs to be their for the grades that start at 7.30 {E&F} then we can just pedal straight over east by the fastest route.

John

Eleri

Postby Eleri » 06 Feb 2015, 19:58

If you are a woman of any age you can ride with Waratah Masters.

Dave_Ranx

Postby Dave_Ranx » 08 Feb 2015, 10:03

john healy got 1st in C grade folks! and lets just say i represented dulwich hill at the other end of the racing spectrum and possibly take corners like im driving miss daisy. thanks for letting me know about this john m.

cheers.
dave r

Eleri

Postby Eleri » 08 Feb 2015, 11:49

Congrats John!

You can watch John win in this short vid via Waratah Masters https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2eFzrIa ... youtu.be&a

Eleri

Postby Eleri » 08 Feb 2015, 11:56

And Jonathan Wong got 3rd in D Grade I think. Congratulations to him too.

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 08 Feb 2015, 13:37

Congrats John!

You can watch John win in this short vid via Waratah Masters https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2eFzrIa ... youtu.be&a
And by a country mile
And Jonathan Wong got 3rd in D Grade I think. Congratulations to him too.
Indeed it is, well done mate

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHUAaqqrPZE

jonboy

Postby jonboy » 09 Feb 2015, 16:01

Thanks for the messages of support but John Mason's effort in B grade should also be acknowledged – it was he who inspired me to go.

I intended to ride in B grade but slept in and felt tired. Riding in a lower grade isn’t encouraged and the handicappers sent me a message: “Congratulations on your strong win on Sunday. I think you should have a go at B grade and have promoted you. Good luck.” I suspect that’s the end of any more podium places for me.

At times the pace of C grade was pretty slow and I backed off the speed at times so I wasn't on the front for too many laps.

The Heffron circuit is a real goat track in parts but many of the middies riders who do Waterfall should think about doing the odd criterium (C Grade) race now and again. It really improves your cornering skills and bike handling in close quarters. And there’s no climbing to speak of.

And you might even grab some prizewinning cash in the process!

John

Jdubs

Postby Jdubs » 09 Feb 2015, 16:18

I didn't even think there was a thread for this, but I almost wasn't going to go since I woke up with an upset stomach.
I think the main reason why I am in D grade is that I'm not much of a group rider, after almost every lap I try to move to the front, and it just seems like that after every corner, I get shafted slowly to the back of the pack again. I know I'm not much of a sprinter and I'm not a climber nor technical rider hence suffering each corner. The only thing I can go is do what I do best (which I don't do very well still), is time-trial.

I broke away even before the bell sounded, knowing that it was going to come. I looked back and no one latched on. Almost half a lap to go, I can start to feel the struggle, look back and the pack is roughly 10 seconds away.

Now down the finishing straight, I don't hear anyone behind me still, without thinking I shifted up, which ended up being too heavy slowing me down a bit, and one guy passed. By then I started to feel ill again decided to sit up as I rolled across the line one more guy passes me, both LACC I believe.

Not a bad effort from me, considering this is my first time racing at Heffron.

JW

Matt T

Postby Matt T » 11 Feb 2015, 20:11

Well done all, for placing and for racing.

Anyone thinking of going to Eastern Creek this Sunday for the Waratahs scratch race?
http://www.waratahmasters.com.au/eventsmenu.cfm

I think I might christen my 2015 racing licence in C-grade ...

Dave

Postby Dave » 12 Feb 2015, 07:29

Myself and Jonathan are heading over there on Sunday - me to christen my 2015 license and Jonathan to try to move up a couple of steps on the podium.

I raced D grade last year and assume that's where I'll be again. So not the same grade but its always good to have a few red shirts around the place.

The race roster says the north circuit and I think I raced it once when it was too wet to do the full track. That time they cut out the big hill and the fast sweeping right hander on the far side of the circuit from the start/finish.

See you there - you obviously have fond memories of that track from your debut about 1 months ago.

Return to “Road”