Race Report - Ken Dinnerville - 3 May 07

Road cycling & upcoming rides
geoff m

Postby geoff m » 03 Jun 2007, 21:18

Here we go,

Firstly, a big thanks to Al, Coral and Lindsay who made the big effort to go down and support James M and myself. Its great to get this support and shows the spirit of the club.

James M and myself (who was driving the car when we drove by you guys) were the only starters given James C and James F were scratched due to injuries.

We started at Dapto for the 90kms through beautiful coutryside and some hills, and one bugger of a hill. I was on limit and James M was in the 3rd group about 10 minutes behind. The Scatchies were 23 minutes behind my start.

The course is 3 circuits of 30kms and of the 4 Handicaps I've done, probably the nicest. Its only 1.5 hours from Sydney so really worth everyone getting booked in early next year. It closes about 6 weeks in advance as they are limited to 150 riders which fills up quickly due to quality of course and proximity to Sydney.

My last handicap was 13 months ago in Coota. First day I got dropped in first 4 kms and second day in 10 kms on the first steep hill. I vowed never to race again, unless I was confident I had gone up a notch. I was confident that I had and hence the start.

We started disorganised but eventually got it together. I felt fine and on the first hills went over easily. We went over the top of the steepest hill from the easiest side only to see this steep hill winding down the bottom with an Ambulance waiting at the bottom. It scared the *censored* out of me, but the decent was OK.

Coming back to this hill after turning around, I got up with the bunch and was pleased. 35 kms into race I started to feel fatigued, but still with it. I was resting at the back when we hit some cross winds, and as much as I looked for relief at the back, I couldn't get it. I should have been at the front shielded by the side riders, and slowly I started to slip and got dropped just before one of the hills, then was trully dropped.

I made it 41kms with the group, 30 kms better than last year, and 20 kms better than a race the year before. I also made the climbs with the groups quite easily - all in all I was satisfied, if not a bit annoyed about getting caught at the back with a cross wind.

I plugged on, got a 4km ride with one the last groups and retired at 62kms when the Scratchies group passed me and I was officially out of the race. Conveniently Al and Coral were just up the road and I got a lift back in time to watch the sprint.

The back groups never caught the first three groups which had merged. The sprint finish was pretty exciting, with about 40 riders going for it, but not quite a Petachi/McEwen photo finish.

The guy who came second was in my group. He was Amanda Spratt's dad and hadn't done an open for 30 years!!! She was in group 3 and caught him when the bunches merged, but in the final sprint, there was no dad/daughter lead out tactic as she was at the back of the sprint.

James M can put in his own report but it was his first handicap and he enjoyed it too, but got dropped from the third group about half way and caught another bunch coming from behind to jump back on, but couldn't sustain it.

Anyway, a good day out, and I'm happy with my PB. A bit more work and a slight notch up, and I should be able to stay with the bunch.

So guys, we should pick a few more races and go out as a club, as we used to do (with only 15 members!).

Here in, ends the report.

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 03 Jun 2007, 21:49

Great report!

Yep, would love to participate in a road race that's close to Sydney. More training in the meantime for next year's event.

lindsay

Postby lindsay » 09 Jun 2007, 19:36

My ride to Dapto was lovely. I turned left at Waterfall, then turned left again at Bellambi Beach to pick up the bike path into Wollongong. Then on to Unanderra & Dapto where I had about 1/2 hour to wait for the sprint.

View from Stanwell Tops on the way down

A cup of tea for the riders

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 09 Jun 2007, 21:01

Hey Geoff,

Don't know how, but I missed your post.

Congrats on the new PB.

BTW, does Al make a good cuppa ?

geoff m

Postby geoff m » 10 Jun 2007, 12:53

Hey Geoff,

Don't know how, but I missed your post.

Congrats on the new PB.

BTW, does Al make a good cuppa ?
Al doesn't but Coral does.

They took off soon after this, and I've acquired 2 plastic tea cups. I better get them back to Al and Coral as they a short of cups, gadgets and spare parts etc.

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 10 Jun 2007, 16:28

I better get them back to Al and Coral as they a short of cups, gadgets and spare parts etc.
I hear Al has a tractor, but he doesn't know where it is.

Return to “Road”