Loop the Lake 2008

Road cycling & upcoming rides
Stuart

Postby Stuart » 13 Mar 2008, 11:24

Joanne & I both completed the 85k Loop the Lake charity ride around Lake Macquarie on Sun 9/3/08. We rode with some work colleagues of Jo's from Blue Star and partners. We got a 7:15 start on what was a beautiful day weather wise after staying 3 k's from the start overnight. The riding was mixed with some fairly decent hills (from my perspective anyway). Some sections we had cars a little to close for comfort and no shoulder to speak of. There was the usual assortment of riders and skill levels with one MB rider nearly taking out Tanya & I with a pass downhill on the inside as the shoulder closed out - not funny at all.

At about 30 k's there was a bad crash that had happened ahead of us due to the numerous, large and deep potholes. It looked like one rider had hit and hole and brought down a pack behind resulting in what looked like a broken collarbone and dislocated shoulder for one unfortunate guy - very sobering indeed. At times the calls of "hole left", "hole centre" etc were almost constant but the road improved as we got towards the coast and Catherine Hill Bay area and there were some excellent and smooth uphill / downhill sections. Jo & I rode with a couple who are both into triathlon (especially Dan although he is recovering from being hit by a car last year and has only been back on a bike for 2 weeks) and have these very flash bikes (Tanya has a Orbea Diva and Dan a Cervelo something or other). Dan did a great job towing us along on several sections (although he was just cruising) and I was pleased to be keeping up with Tanya! Jo of course was doing great on the hills and attached herself to a group in front of us three for a while.

All in all a great day and I would definitely go again. Here's some pics from the ride photographers site!

Joanne & Stuart @ the start
Stuart just behind Dan @ 35k's
Dan in front of Stuart @ 35k's
Joanne at 35k's
Joanne & Stuart @ The Finish after 87k's @ an average 28kph with top speed of 61kph

Here is the course from Bikely:
http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/Loop-the-Lake
Last edited by Stuart on 15 Mar 2008, 16:04, edited 1 time in total.

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 13 Mar 2008, 16:40

Sounds like a great ride Stuart.

Shame about the guys off.

BTW, that Avatar looks rather familiar....

williamd

Postby williamd » 20 Mar 2008, 21:55

Good on you both. Great average speed.

I will have to watch Jo on the hills from now on.

And I thought that steam were the only ones crashing lately.

timyone

Postby timyone » 23 Mar 2008, 17:14

really good to see the dullich jersy :D

Return to “Road”