DHBC Adventure Ride - Alpe d'Roo II - Unfinished Business - Saturday, 10 September 2016

Road cycling & upcoming rides
p_mayson

Postby p_mayson » 06 Sep 2016, 13:08

Just over a month ago, a few of us went to the Kangaroo Valley and tackled some of the hardest climbs in NSW. It was a sensational day on the bike. But we ran out of time, and didn't finish everything we wanted to do…

So now we're going back for more…

Presenting Alpe d'Roo II - Unfinished Business

We'll be starting and finishing in the picturesque village of Jamberoo on the South Coast of NSW. Hence, we'll need to make our own way there by car. If you're interested in participating, but need a lift, please speak to one or more people on the list below (who'll be arranging car-pooling amongst themselves this week). Google Maps says it's about a 1 hour 45 min drive to Jamberoo, so we're probably looking at leaving home at ~5:00am

From Jamberoo, we'll tackle the notorious Saddleback Mountain (Cat 2 climb) straightaway whilst the legs are fresh. We'll then come back down through Jamberoo; then ride up Jamberoo Mountain (Cat 1 climb) - regarded by many as the hardest climb in the region - to Robertson Pie Shop (where we'll stop for brunch). We'll then take in the delights of the Southern Highlands, before descending Barrengarry Mountain into the bucolic Kangaroo Valley. We'll then ride out to Tallowa Dam on the Kangaroo River, before returning to the Kangaroo Valley Pie Shop (which promotes itself as having the world's best pies) for lunch. We'll then ride up Barrengarry Mountain (Cat 1 climb), and back through the Southern Highlands to Robertson, before descending Jamberoo Mountain to Jamberoo

There are options to participate, but not do everything. For example, you could skip the out-and-back to the top of Saddleback Mountain and/or the out-and-back to Tallowa Dam. It's a no-drop ride; no-one will be left behind. But please consider whether a ride of this nature is appropriate for you

Further details as follows:

Start: Outside Jamberoo pub (12 Allowrie Street, Jamberoo) at ~6:45am for a 7:00am (sharp) roll-out

Route: https://www.strava.com/routes/6421395

Pace / effort: C28s / Middies

Distance: ~180km

Elevation gain: ~3,700m

Finish: Jamberoo by sunset (i.e. before 6pm)

Notes: Please bring 2 x spare tubes, pump, water, snacks + money for coffee / breakfast / lunch

List:

Paul M
Dave E
Manny
Diana
Tony
Katie
Chris G
Hiro
Craig W

Katie U

Postby Katie U » 09 Sep 2016, 07:49

Unfortunately I'm out. I'm not well enough to come so i'll just stay home and mope about it. Kt

p_mayson

Postby p_mayson » 09 Sep 2016, 09:57

List:

Paul M
Dave E
Manny
Diana
Tony
Chris G
Hiro
Craig W
Jarrad S