Sunday step-up

Road cycling & upcoming rides
simon.sharwood

Postby simon.sharwood » 01 Apr 2008, 09:20

Anyone care to join me on Sunday for a Kurnell?
The idea would be to leave from Mick @ 6:30 and peel off over the bridge to do Kurnell, back to Cronulla for a swim/coffee, then return.
The idea is that this is a step up from Saturday Slowies. A few weeks of that should build strength for Waterfall at a decent pace!
simon at jargon master dot com if anyone wants to take it offline

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 01 Apr 2008, 09:33

I understand that's a pretty flat run to Kurnell. The other commonly used step up is the 7-11 in Sutherland. As you may have noticed, many riders from other clubs turn around at that point.

Stuart

Postby Stuart » 03 Apr 2008, 13:37

Agree that Kurnell / Cronulla is fairly flat but it's a really nice ride, especially along the boards / bike path starting at the end of Mangrove Lane and ending at "Shark Park".

I do agree with Weiyun though that as step-up ride, turning at the 7-11 / petrol station at Sutherland is probably a better bet as preparation for the full distance as you get the Tarren Point Rd "climb" and The Kingsway undulations.

Still I did Cronulla a lot before going to Waterfall but never did the Sutherland turn around. Whatever you feel comfortable with I reckon.

Gecko

Postby Gecko » 18 Apr 2008, 22:12

Hi,

I got back into cyclying 11 months ago after about 20 years off. After about 3500 kms on aflat bar roadie (pig) I got a real roadie a few weeks ago and am averaging 27-28 km/h over 60-70km rides out to and around Homebush.

Unfortunately my riding buddy snapped his achilles tendon a couple of weeks back so I am looking for some people to ride with that are at around the same level and looking to improve.

I am a bit reluctant to go out with the Sunday Waterfall group as they are probably a bit to quick for me so I was wondering if ther was an in between group to ride with.

Cheers :D

Adrian E

Postby Adrian E » 18 Apr 2008, 22:43

Hi,

I am a bit reluctant to go out with the Sunday Waterfall group as they are probably a bit to quick for me so I was wondering if ther was an in between group to ride with.

From the sound of things, I think you'd be fine on the Waterfall ride, there is a slower bunch and you won't get left on your own. However, you may want to get used to riding in a bunch if you havn't before. I'd recommend you come along to our Saturday slowies ride as well. Its very social and lots of fun. We go for coffee at Marrickville Rd Cafe after the ride.

geoff m

Postby geoff m » 19 Apr 2008, 02:29

Unfortunately my riding buddy snapped his achilles tendon a couple of weeks back so I am looking for some people to ride with that are at around the same level and looking to improve.

hhmm, i had one of those, a snapped achilles tendon. Tell him he'll be back to riding no worries. Might take him 12 months to recover close to 98% of before.

Gecko

Postby Gecko » 19 Apr 2008, 10:15

Thanks Adrian!

I have done a bit of bunch riding with the mob from LACC out at Homebush (group 4) as my mate knows a couple of group 1 riders there and they invited us to come for their open training rides on Tuesday & Thursday mornings. Most of their road rides take off from out that way so I was hoping to find some people closer to home.

What time do you guys normally get back on a Sunday as I have to go with my daughter to her Soccer game?

Adrian E

Postby Adrian E » 19 Apr 2008, 10:26

Thanks Adrian!

What time do you guys normally get back on a Sunday as I have to go with my daughter to her Soccer game?
Sounds like you'll be fine for the waterfall ride.

I think we usually roll into Dulwich Hill around 9:30am. Sometimes a little later. At least half of us go for coffee at Cafe Bobo's, so depending on if you've got time, you might want to come to that as well.

timyone

Postby timyone » 22 Apr 2008, 12:26

man i keep pulling out of this :S and im out for a couple more weeks now, thats if its still going, the only prob i have is i have to be back for church by 10:30

Stuart

Postby Stuart » 22 Apr 2008, 15:04

I am a bit reluctant to go out with the Sunday Waterfall group as they are probably a bit to quick for me so I was wondering if there was an in between group to ride with. Cheers :D
There is actually an intermediate group on some Sunday's. We tend to leave with the slower group right on 06:30 and then when we get to Waterfall we go a little faster on the ride back to Sutherland and the 7/11 (petrol station). From there everybody is basically together back to Bobo's - although the fast guys sometimes take off before Captain Cook Bridge and wait at Bestic St.

We've also once tried to go as an independent group (of 4) but we soon got swallowed up by the fast guys as we left it too long to leave after the slowies and then the fast pace killed me and by half way up Tarren Point Rd I was gone! Maybe next time if there's enough intermediate people we could try this again.

Gecko

Postby Gecko » 23 Apr 2008, 14:23

There is actually an intermediate group on some Sunday's.
That sounds great Stuart!

My biggest obstacle now is the fact that my daugher plays soccer on Sundays and her kick off times are either 9 or 10 am :-(

I was wondering if any one does it on Saturdays as I don't particularly fancy doing laps at Centenial Park as I think Homebush offers more variety.

Stuart

Postby Stuart » 23 Apr 2008, 16:11

Saturdays the club does slowies to Centennial - that's a given. Occasionally others might want to do a longer Sat ride, as Jo & I sometimes do when we know we can't make the Sun ride. Check here for proposed rides.

The ride to Centennial and back is great - very social and you get to meet your fellow club members. Once at Centennial you can do your own pace and Jo & I (and others) normally do sets of hills, laps and sprints to get a real workout over the hour we are there for.

Also, Weiyun has his ride home via the Tour of Lady Macquarie's Chair and Anzac bridge (see link) http://www.dhbc.org.au/forum/viewtopic. ... ght=weiyun if you want some extra riding.

Otherwise come back to Marrickville for coffee, breakfast and a chat.

Stuart

Postby Stuart » 25 Apr 2008, 11:49

I was wondering if any one does it on Saturdays as I don't particularly fancy doing laps at Centennial Park as I think Homebush offers more variety.
Jo & I will be doing Waterfall tomorrow ,Sat the 26th April - meet at Mick Mazza's at 06:30

simon.sharwood

Postby simon.sharwood » 04 May 2008, 13:48

Well the Kurnell crew grew to five today, with Ted and Camilla starring by consuming a mid-ride bacon and egg roll.
We saw the main DHBC bunch just as we were turning onto the Cpt Cook bridge, but you sailed past us oblivious to our well-fed little bunch!

tedrobin

Postby tedrobin » 04 May 2008, 18:45

It was a gorgeous ride; our city can really turn it on at times. And for a thrill, you get to gaze at the complaisant burghers of Cronulla and wonder what darknesses lie in their hearts. Just don't blunder up to the counter for your bacon-and-egg roll, or you will be firmly (but politely) instructed on the location of the end of the queue. On a scale that runs from Slowies to Waterfall, I'd say it was considerably closer to Slowies, so will look of kick it up to Sutherland if I'm feeling frisky.

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 04 May 2008, 21:22

Heard you are using the name "Sunday Step-up's" Great Name 8)

Stuart

Postby Stuart » 07 May 2008, 13:34

On a scale that runs from Slowies to Waterfall, I'd say it was considerably closer to Slowies, so will look of kick it up to Sutherland if I'm feeling frisky.
Jo & I will most likely only be going to Sutherland this coming Sun 11th as it's Mums day & we need to be home.

tedrobin

Postby tedrobin » 07 May 2008, 16:07

Haven't seen you guys for ages. Camilla and I will probably accompany you to Sutherland, if the siren call of the bacon and egg rolls in Cronulla is not too strong. Whether I'll be able to keep up with you is another matter. Since I'm trying to win Torpedo7's French Alps tour and will have to go over the Col du Galibier if I win, I'd perhaps better start training now, just on the offchance.

Stuart

Postby Stuart » 10 May 2008, 15:25

We'll just be riding with the Sun Waterfall slowies bunch and turning at Sutherland so the pace won't be too hot (it's about 50k's return). Incidentally we went to Waterfall today with Matt and the level of aggro from drivers seemed to be up - we even got beeped by a bus driver on the Princess Hwy at Wolli Creek - never had that before. Also got the usual aggro from truckies and a couple of 4WD owners shouting out unintelligible insults (well, I assuem they weren't shouting out encouragement as we rode over Capitan Cook Bridge).

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 10 May 2008, 17:19

And it's not even weekday. Some people need to learn to relax on a weekend.

Return to “Road”