Local August Opens (Kurrajong, Ride for life, etc)

Road cycling & upcoming rides
T-Bone

Postby T-Bone » 01 Jul 2008, 23:57

As there isn't a need for travel and accomodation arrangements, i thought i'd lump all the local opens in here.

First up there's the Kurrajong Classic on Sunday 3/8/08. The race is several laps of a course (laps are dependent on grade, 2 for 66km, or 3 for 99km, unless you do the championships of 5 laps- 165km). The course has a hill a few kms out from the start after a big descent, but apart from that the course isn't too difficult. Entries close 20/7/08.

Second on the list is Ride for Life in Centennial Park on Sunday 17/8/08. I'm sure you know what Centennial Park is like (FLAT), though i don't know where the course goes. It's a nice short race, maximum of 36km depending on grade, and D, C, and B are early, so you'll basically still have the whole day free. Entries close 3/8/08.

Other races on are the Individual and Team Time Trial Championships.
The Individual Championships are held on 27/7/08, so July rather than August, distance 40km elite and 20km Masters, with entries closing 13/7/08. The Team Championships are on 24/8/08, with Entries closing 10/8/08. The Team time trial championships are tough, but great experience, so if you're interested, it's time to start thinking about a team. I doubt whether i can fit this in this year, but hopefully we'll get a team in, even if we're not going to win. Distance is 80km for Elite and 40km Masters.

geoff m

Postby geoff m » 02 Jul 2008, 00:09

Second on the list is Ride for Life in Centennial Park on Sunday 17/8/08. I'm sure you know what Centennial Park is like (FLAT), though i don't know where the course goes. It's a nice short race, maximum of 36km depending on grade, and D, C, and B are early, so you'll basically still have the whole day free. Entries close 3/8/08.
Hmmmm, flat my a@se!

Its the reverse of the hill climbing practice areas we do on Saturday slowies. Very little flat!

The Masters division goes about 38kms per hour, even with the hills!

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 02 Jul 2008, 09:27

Hmmmm, flat my a@se!

Its the reverse of the hill climbing practice areas we do on Saturday slowies. Very little flat!

Actually the Masters average more than 38kph and its laps of sprinters hill in the opposite direction.

I hear that this year its graded, rather than an all in Masters race.

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 02 Jul 2008, 11:24

I watched that Ride for Life event last year and couldn't believe how fast they charged up that hill. Unless one is at the elite level, it's drop city within the first lap. This year I note that they have a family ride option.

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 02 Jul 2008, 11:27

In 2006 it was my first race and I was much lighter and therefor handled the hill better, averaging 37kph (vs 41kph for the winner) In 2007 my extra weight didn't help, I was slower in 07 than in 06. This year I'm about half way inbetween weight wise.

There's a fun ride that goes around the grande PDE, is that the family option?

Huw

Postby Huw » 02 Jul 2008, 12:15

Hmmmm, flat my a@se!

If you check the website, the course has been modified this year, and is now totally UNDULATING (i.e. FLAT).

T-Bone

Postby T-Bone » 02 Jul 2008, 12:19

I didn't even see that map, but it definitely looks FLAT to me. I guess i compare hills to mountains, so a hill in centennial is minimal for me.

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 02 Jul 2008, 12:29

Interesting that they are using the relatively flat internal loop of the park this year. It'll be even faster.

In comparison, the course map for 2007 is here,
http://www.rideforlife.org.au/2007/index2.php?id=map

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 02 Jul 2008, 14:59

FLAT... its not the same race.

T-Bone

Postby T-Bone » 16 Jul 2008, 15:31

Just a reminder. Entries for Kurrajong close this weekend.

Simon Llewellyn

Postby Simon Llewellyn » 18 Jul 2008, 01:35

I should be a starter for the Kurajong and ride for life. THe only thing that gets me is the early starts. It's too hard to convert from night shifts to early morning bike rides. But I will probably ride anyway. The Kurajong weekend we have friday night winter series then the DHBC omnium and then the kurajong which will be a very heavy weekend of racing....

wallman

Postby wallman » 20 Jul 2008, 20:34

I'm in for Kurrajong.
Matt

Simon Llewellyn

Postby Simon Llewellyn » 21 Jul 2008, 03:38

Hey I'm enterd the Kurajong, but I've got Friday night racing and the omnium Saturday, so I'm in two minds about racing? It will be pretty heavy weekend if I decide to race. I was planning on doing it all but I really suffered on Saturday in Muswellbrook & must be over training and undersleeping. I've never felt so fatigued or weak, not even after Grafton last year. I'll have a chat to Brad during the week and see what he thinks.

I will probably go down, hang on as long as I can and do my road kms. Beats riding to waterfall anyday but I need to ask the boss what he thinks first...

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 21 Jul 2008, 10:00

Simon, I suppose it depends on how well you want to place. If finishing position isn't that important, then "racing is training"

T-Bone

Postby T-Bone » 31 Jul 2008, 22:41

Ride for Life entries close this weekend, and good luck to Eugen and Simon at Kurrajong.

Eugen Schilter

Postby Eugen Schilter » 05 Aug 2008, 21:05

Got off well on the first climb when they were all still stiff (I was well warmed up since I was late riding up from the Mulgrave rail station) and with one mate did a 81km break; my second longest ever. Judged Bary Keynon (NSCC) as a strong finisher so I made sure I was always first on the three ascent tops, which gave me the KOM. We got to 2:30 on the bunch. Then a group of two strong looking KOM riders caught up. Trying to hedge my bet, darn stupid :evil: , I just sat on which saw us four, 15 to go, re-captured by the bunch. Finished ~10th in a real anti climax bunch finish.
After the race I was in the silly position to 'abuse' one of the KOM riders for not abusing me during that critical race period. Said he (Kor Sietsma) that he was surprised that Bary and I didn't help; he promised though not to spare me next time.

T-Bone

Postby T-Bone » 05 Aug 2008, 21:42

Sounds like a good effort, event though it didn't quite pay off. Sometimes you take a gamble and it works, but others you miss out. Hopefully tamworth will be more successful.

simon.sharwood

Postby simon.sharwood » 06 Aug 2008, 11:29

I'm bringing the family to the 2:00 PM Ride for Life. It'll be a long ride for Mr 6, but should be worth it.

T-Bone

Postby T-Bone » 12 Aug 2008, 18:20

Just in case people hadn't noticed. Online Ride for Life entries have been extended until Wednesday night, plus there will be entries on the day, 1hr before the start.

geoff m

Postby geoff m » 14 Aug 2008, 19:30

James, Matt and Simon - how did you guys get to score D Grade at Ride for Life???????

When I saw my name there I thought I had a chance......until I found myself riding again with my dear colleagues.....

Mudgee and Coota all over again... sob... sob...sob.

MEEHAN, Paul MMAS3 Bicisport D
MEEHAN, Donna WMAS4 Bicisport D
FOWLER, James Elite Men Dulwich Hill BC D
WALLMAN, Matthew Elite Men Dulwich Hill BC D
LLEWELLYN, Simon Elite Men Dulwich Hill BC D
THOMAS, Jennifer Elite Women Eastern Suburbs CC D
HAYES, Cassie MMAS1 Eastern Suburbs CC D
GORDON, Andrew MMAS2 Eastern Suburbs CC D
KIRK, Ed Eastern Suburbs CC D
O'CONNOR, Peter Eastern Suburbs CC D
CAMPBELL, Mark MMAS3 Illawarra CC D
SOMERVILLE, Joanna WMAS3 Lidcombe Auburn CC D
CLARKE, Leslie Lidcombe Auburn CC D
ZAPPIA, Carl MMAS2 Macarthur Collegians CC D
LORD, Michael Macarthur Collegians CC D
MCCOY, Adam Manning Valley CC Inc. D
LIMARE, Anthony MMAS3 Marconi CC D
VELARDO, Angelo MMAS3 Marconi CC D
WHITING, Neil MMAS3 Northern Sydney CC D
UPTON, Jen Elite Women Northern Sydney CC D
FYSON, Hugh MMAS7 Northern Sydney CC D
TWOMEY, Christine WMAS3 Parramatta CC D
ROSE-INNES, Alexander Elite Men Randwick Botany CC D
BLUNDELL, Craig MMAS4 Randwick Botany CC D
HIBBARD, Craig Elite Men Randwick Botany CC D
VAUGHAN, David MMAS1 Randwick Botany CC D
HENRY, Susan WMAS2 Randwick Botany CC D
CHEE, Kirsten Elite Women Randwick Botany CC D
LEE, Royce MMAS2 Randwick Botany CC D
WOOLDRIDGE, Chris MMAS4 Randwick Botany CC D
MADDEN, Marissa Elite Women Sutherland Shire CC D
LOVELOCK, Emma Sutherland Shire CC D
PERRY, John MMAS2 Sydney CC D
KEANE, Jason MMAS2 Sydney CC D
WESTERN, Paul MMAS4 Sydney CC D
HODGSON, Marcus MMAS5 Sydney CC D
GUTHRIE, James MMAS6 Sydney CC D
ATHERTON, Adrian Elite Men Sydney CC D
CARRUTHERS, Auriol WMAS2 Sydney CC D
BOSCH, Tanya WMAS5 Sydney CC D
CUCVARA, Sax MMAS1 Sydney CC D
COLLINGS, Scott MMAS3 Sydney CC D
JORDAN, David MMAS3 Sydney CC D
LE GRAS, Peter MMAS3 Sydney CC D
STANFORD, Ralph MMAS3 Sydney CC D
STUPARICH, Tim MMAS3 Sydney CC D
CONATY, Gary MMAS4 Waratah Veterans CC D
SOUTH, David MMAS8 Waratah Veterans CC D
TUTTY, Peter MMAS3 Waratah Veterans CC D
LOWE, George MMAS2 Eastern Suburbs CC D
MARTIN, Geoff MMAS3 Dulwich Hill BC D
O'DEA, Margaret WMAS4 Southern Cross CC D
TERHUURNE, Ben MMAS7 Randwick Botany CC D

Adrian E

Postby Adrian E » 14 Aug 2008, 20:07

Well everyone except me! For some reason I'm in C grade. Mmmmm. I wonder how many laps I'll be able to hang on.

T-Bone

Postby T-Bone » 14 Aug 2008, 23:23

How do you do it Adrien??

I think our plan is to lead out Simon, though i might try and soften them up a little earlier.

Simon Llewellyn

Postby Simon Llewellyn » 15 Aug 2008, 06:01

I think our plan is to lead out Simon, though i might try and soften them up a little earlier.
I hope to be there but It is a little early for me. If tomorrow night is anything like tonight I will either have to choose between not sleeping at all and not riding. Brad tells me he once raced on no sleep but that doesn't make it a good thing to do...

Adrian E

Postby Adrian E » 15 Aug 2008, 11:54

I think the real question is how much is Simon paying the handicapers!

btw: its a shame your not certain for the race Simon. I'd put money on you to win.

Simon Llewellyn

Postby Simon Llewellyn » 18 Aug 2008, 01:53

Here's a brief run down of the race yesterday (ride for life).

We had 5 riders competing, Adrian in C grade, me, James F, Matt W & Geoff M in D grade. D grade was a 24km crit really, which equated to 13 laps of a loop round centenial park. THe loop is hard to describe as it only used a couple hudred metres of the main road & the rest was using the inner roads of the middle, one of which is not commonly ridden. It was actually a really good course to ride, the straight was on a down hill and the back straight had kind of small rise to it, it was short and the last road into the straight was really strong head wind.

The average speed for D grade wasn't extremely fast. It was quick and the field was strong but due to the wind, hanging onto the back didn't prove too difficult. I think to sum up the race it was really a club dominated team event. The majority were from easts & Sydney city. We continually attacked both those clubs & to their credit they showed absolutely no weakness. In fact those two clubs spent the majority of the race chasing on the front. I attacked early with a sydney city rider and stayed away for a lap or two, then I think Matt attacked & into the final few laps James attacked, at which point I went out to join him & he couldn't hold my wheel so I went solo. They posted me back going into the lfinal lap & I knew that due to it being a down hill sprint I needed to be right up the front.

I lead it out into the headwind, Matt came up to lead me out but I wanted the front so kicked the pace up abit. Into the final corner someone took me on the outside & someone tried to take the inside line but I cut them off with my line. It was a big gear sprint so I just wound up, hit the front and was rolled just before the line by a manly rider, taking second. I guess I lead out for way too long & really should of got some coverage rather than leading out but I wanted a place so didn't stuff around too much. It really was an enjoyable race. I was a bit sleep deprived with only an hours sleep the night before but somehow kept awake.

I think Adrian finished with the C grade bunch after a lap out but he will have to tell the story because I was searching for water rather than watching the race....

Adrian E

Postby Adrian E » 18 Aug 2008, 07:40

I asked Lindsay for some advice on Saturday morning about the race. He said, "stay near the front!" Well I never got anywhere near there. I'd swapped wheels with James before the D grade race as his tire as a small split and was slightly out of wack. I waited for him to get back after the D grade race but he was too late. I was maybe 50 meters from the finish line, I turned my head and the bunch had rolled out without me. I spent the first 4-5 laps by myself, then for two laps I 'found a friend' to work with, then I was eventually lapped but got to ride the three last laps with the bunch. In hindsight I should have faked some mechanical after lap one, waited a lap out then jumped back on the bunch. Buts thats racing and I learned something from the day.

Simon Llewellyn

Postby Simon Llewellyn » 21 Aug 2008, 00:43

Photo's are up for the ride for life. Here's a beautiful sequence of the DHBC train:

http://www.cyclingimagesonline.com/albu ... _0027.html

& the sprint:

http://www.cyclingimagesonline.com/albu ... _0091.html

T-Bone

Postby T-Bone » 21 Aug 2008, 23:12

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 21 Aug 2008, 23:31

Good photo of Geoff

Adrian E

Postby Adrian E » 22 Aug 2008, 09:57

Return to “Road”