Lionel Cox RIP 10/3/2010

Bicycle related chatter & discussion
lindsay

Postby lindsay » 10 Mar 2010, 07:48

Sad news today that Lionel Cox, Life Member of DHBC has passed away this morning. Lionel was our Track Coach and an inspiration for many members of our club. He won Olympic gold & silver medals and had an illustrious career as both an amateur and professional bike rider. Lionel gave up so much of his time to coach us, year in and year out. He also played a leading role in NSW cycling junior development. He taught us how to race and how to win.

He will be missed by all that knew him and benefited from his friendship and wisdom.

I will post details of his funeral when they come to hand.

Michael Chidgey

Postby Michael Chidgey » 10 Mar 2010, 08:16

thats a major loss for the NSW cycling community. best wishes to his family.

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 10 Mar 2010, 08:41

Will be greatly missed by all both on and off the track. My heartfelt condolence to his family.

BTW, Wikipedia entry had the date as 9 March ie. Yesterday.

simon.sharwood

Postby simon.sharwood » 10 Mar 2010, 12:52

Vale Lionel.
Best wishes to his family.

timyone

Postby timyone » 10 Mar 2010, 15:13

http://www.randwickbotanycc.com/images/ ... Lionel.htm

(they quoted the wrong brother?! it was me!

checkout some of his stats

http://www.randwickbotanycc.com/images/ ... esults.jpg

micklan

Postby micklan » 10 Mar 2010, 15:33

Its sad. I'm, sorry for his families' loss.

shrubb face

Postby shrubb face » 10 Mar 2010, 16:46

Funeral Details

Tuesday 16th March 2010,

Public Service:

Time: 12:00pm (Noon)

Location: The public service will be held at Dunc Gray Velodrome, Carysfield Rd, Bass Hill Ph. 02 9743 9889

All public are welcome to attend and all are welcome to bring flowers.

Following the public service a wake will be held in the Handle bar tavern and once again all are invited.

On behalf of the family Kelley would like to thank everyone for their well wishes and condolences. It is truly comforting to know that Lionel was so well respected and held in such high regard by so many.

timyone

Postby timyone » 10 Mar 2010, 20:51

facebookpage
theres an interesting life story in it

http://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/gro ... 9497873416

Simon Llewellyn

Postby Simon Llewellyn » 12 Mar 2010, 07:12

It's taken me a few days to come to terms with this and think about what was it that made Lionel so speacial at Tempe? For some reason most of us kind of had a bit of a love hate relationship with his coaching style in that he would never hold back if he thought that a person was doing something wrong. In fact there were many that would not embrace this at all. Yet those who had been there for a number of years all grew very fond of him and I have struggled to put my finger on it to what it was that that we all loved about the old man and I have finally realised..

There was rarely a week or even a single monday or wednesday night when Lionel was not at the track. He had a love and passion for the sport of track cycling that has far surpassed just about anybody else I have ever met. Srangely though he was often quite abrupt and rude in the way he addressed people at the track, which was a bit parcular in that if you knew him well you could see just how excited and happy he was to see new riders at the track. His passion was something very special and something that will stick with me for some time to come. I guess too I can now say to anyone who was first scared off by Lionel at the track that every part of Tempe is a result of his passion for the sport as all those who run all the training, all the racing were taught by lionel to enjoy pushing a fixed gear bike.

But just one last memory of Lionel that puts his true character and confidence of the sport is this. I remember back in 2008 I think it was, I travelled over to Copenhagen to drop in and watch the track world cup whilst I was over visiting Ireland. I remember when we returned dad was explaining to Lionel that I had been over there watching it. Well Lionel was like "so how did he go?" & dad had to explain that I wasn't riding, & to which Lionel responded "well he should of been he is good enough." At the time we were abit blown away by his statement & were not quite believing of his confidence in my ability but last year when me & Tim rode the world cup in Melbourne oddly his prediction came true. We thought at the time that he was overly confident in my ability but that's just the true heart and character of Lionel. He had a very strong belief and love for the sport.

We will definitely miss him at Tempe. RIP Lionel.

Stuart

Postby Stuart » 12 Mar 2010, 09:17

The homepage has been updated.

Return to “Conversation”