My little tour

Bicycle related chatter & discussion
orphic

Postby orphic » 28 Nov 2010, 13:12

So I'm going on holiday in one weeks time :D I'm very excited, and I have just planned out my route.

I have google mapped it roughly here but some of the roads are different from what I will actually take - ie out of Muswellbrook and from Central Coast to Sydney. I am in the process of getting it all plugged into bikely and breaking up the days. It's looking to be a 9 day event.

The days are going to look a little something like this, but it's subject to change. Not 100% sure on Day 1 and Day 9 yet. Day 9 might just be me getting on the train...

Day 1: Stanmore to Mt Victoria
Day 2: Mt Victoria to Jenolan (short day to explore some caves as I've never been)
Day 3: Jenolyn to Bathurst via Kanangra Walls (and hopefully get there in time to watch the Bathurst crits!)
Day 4: Bathurst to Hill End via Sofala
Day 5: Hill End to Rylstone via Mudgee
Day 6: Rylstone to Muswellbrook via Bylong
Day 7: Muswellbrook to Wollombi
Day 8: Wollombi to Warnervale (my parents house)
Day 9: Warnervale to Stanmore

Pretty keen to hear from anyone who had ridden those areas before. Suggestions of cool places to eat/drink and camp are most welcome :D

I'll be camping for most of it I think. I am taking a bob trailer rather than panniers, so can fit tent, sleeping gear, water and food.

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 28 Nov 2010, 14:50

The climb out from Jenolan Caves is pretty steep and long. I took my bike there on a 3 days stay at the Cave House a year or two ago and the ride up the west side just about killed me. No distance to warm up but just a straight upward ride. And on the way back down, it almost melted my brake pads and tyres. If you are taking your trailer, be prepared to allocate some time to get up that one.

orphic

Postby orphic » 28 Nov 2010, 15:00

Thanks Weiyun. I figure that if I am running behind schedule that day then I can always skip the side trip to Kanangra walls since it's going to be an out and back trip after Jenolan.

Hopefully the weight won't be too bad. The bike will at least handle a bit better with a trailer as opposed to panniers.

Eleri

Postby Eleri » 28 Nov 2010, 16:12

What Weiyun said about the climb out of Jenolan Caves - lots of cars and buses on those roads too so can get a bit hairy.

Rylstone is lovely - not sure where to camp, I've camped at the showground on a "big ride". But some nice pubs there.

From memory, I think you will hit some dirt roads around Hill End / Sofala. Probably Bylong route too, although I went the other way through Cassilis. The ride over the Great Dividing Range from Cassilis to Muswellbrook was pretty punishing, km after km of climb that was into a headwind. It was the hardest day on the big ride of all days and quite a few people DNF. I assume you have to do the same climb and descend on the Bylong route.

orphic

Postby orphic » 28 Nov 2010, 16:18

Thanks Eleri, I figured you would have been around these parts. I was going to chat to you about it yesterday if it wasn't for work getting in the way. I have heard Rylstone is great. I may check out Dunns Swamp while I'm there too if time permits. My friends parents live about 10km out of Rylstone so I may just stay with them that night.

Apparently the road from Sofala to Hill End is not sealed, as well as much of the road from Hill End to Mudgee. I was originally really keen on trying to hit as much dirt as possible but I have since reviewed that plan and decided I will go back and do that when I've built up a sturdy 29er that I can put some 2.25's on and have some real fun. I would love to ride the Bridal Track from Bathurst to Hill End and the stock route out to Yerranderie but it would be way more fun with the right bike and with no trailer. There's some pretty cool looking fire trails that link up from the stock route and get you down to the Southern Highlands... A trip that requires a bit more planning than this one and possibly not the best idea to do it solo!

Eleri

Postby Eleri » 28 Nov 2010, 17:41

Adam and I went to Dunn's Swamp on the way back from the Mugee audax ride earlier in the year, but went in the car. It's dirt for the last maybe 15 or 20 kms from memory but it's quite sandy dirt. I was suprised how much traffic there was and because it had been dry, the dust was fairly red and choking. And because it is camping, there's lots of trailers and its one way in and out. The swamp is interesting but there's no food or anything there - you have to take your own. And then it's the same road out as in. It would be good if you are into canoing and bird watching, best at dusk or dawn I think. Otherwise I think it would be a hard slog for not much value.

There's a good pie shop at Running Stream between Lithgow and Mudgee http://www.foxwoodfarm.com.au/ The road is a highway and there are some big, rolling hills here. I've been on bits of this road, Miguel, Lindsay and Camilla rode it in March on the way to Mudgee. I know you weren't planning that particular route and if you come across through Sofala, it takes you out at ilford and there is a giant hill in between you and the pie shop and you'd have to turn around and do it again. nice views though!

I'd stick to routes where you can buy food along the way myself! you'll be eating alot and it gets quite heavy if you have to carry it.

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 28 Nov 2010, 18:17

I've ridden Day 2, though I rode down Mt Victoria in the dark with $5 flashers, then camped before riding the rest of the way to Jenylon caves the following morning. I took some obsure back road for most of the way after getting to the bottom of Mt Victoria. Don't remember any issues, apart from one of the riders who was having difficulty seeing the road at night (also had $5 flashers).

Is there any gravel near Hill End? Last time I was there, the seal had got much closer, but there was a fair bit missing on the other side.

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 29 Nov 2010, 09:44

What Weiyun said about the climb out of Jenolan Caves - lots of cars and buses on those roads too so can get a bit hairy...
The west exit of Jenolan Caves is not used by tour buses and vehicle traffic is generally low, but very steep. The east side road is the popular one (from Great Western Hwy) with all the buses and other vehicles, but the grades are ok with lots of rolling hills and decent road surface.

orphic

Postby orphic » 29 Nov 2010, 10:10

Hmmm starting to think maybe I should tackle the climb out of Jenolan on Day 2 and camp at Kanangra. No camping at Jenolan so I will save myself some money on accomodation by doing it this way. And I do like the idea of being able to roll down to the walls and soak in the views for as long as I need to in the evening.

Thanks for the info on Dunns Swamp Eleri. Might give it a miss this time. Would be in for it if I wasn't already pushed for time.

I am not too worried about sticking to routes where I can buy food as I would like to practice with cooking on the stove and eating transportable food for when I do some more remote touring. The plan is to get to a stage where I know how much water and food I need to carry to survive on, so I can go bush and be self sufficient for a few days. Most places I should be able to load up on supplies in the evening, except for Hill End I think.

There might be some gravel at Hill End Mike, but I should be ok. I'm going to run some pretty beefy tyres to make the ride comfortable.

orphic

Postby orphic » 30 Nov 2010, 09:53

Soo, anyone wanna ride to Mt Victoria with me on Monday? Might appreciate the company for that ride down the M4 on day 1...

lindsay

Postby lindsay » 30 Nov 2010, 14:51

You little tour looks fantastic. I'm very interested in the Rylstone to Aberdeen part. Take lots of photos...

Cheers - Lindsay

orphic

Postby orphic » 30 Nov 2010, 14:52

Thanks Lindsay! I will take heaps of photos and no doubt will be thinking of you lots along that way, as I probably wouldn't be doing this if you hadn't gotten me into touring :)

orphic

Postby orphic » 03 Dec 2010, 06:30

Is it normal to be scared shitless 3 days out from departure? :shock:

Karzie

Postby Karzie » 03 Dec 2010, 09:45

...I'm very interested in the Rylstone to Aberdeen part. ...
Yes, it looks like it is a loverly neck of the woods. I've been on the locals back road from Mudgee to the Hunter valley (turn off at Budgie Budgie and thru the Goulburn River National Park at Secret Valley) which looks similar but a bit more hilly, and it was absolutely beautiful. I haven't seen that much wildlife since Tassie.

Eleri

Postby Eleri » 03 Dec 2010, 18:45

Is it normal to be scared shitless 3 days out from departure? :shock:
Yep, felt the same before I went to Tassie in February! Who knew what you people were like and whether I'd be able to keep up.

IMHO - if you aren't scared shitless, it isn't worth doing.

I'm very envious :D

timyone

Postby timyone » 07 Dec 2010, 11:56

do bikes handle better with karts on the back than panniers? do you notice much difference with panniers on? i notice when they come off :D

orphic

Postby orphic » 11 Dec 2010, 20:17

Hmmm so Day 6 was really hard. The trailer is heavy and makes climbing slow. I am running Marathon tyres which are bullet proof but pretty slow. 155km in 30+ degree heat... I cried (no joke!) and had to phone in for moral support. Pretty glad I actually made it to Muswellbrook today.

Eleri

Postby Eleri » 12 Dec 2010, 17:15

It's hard work going over the great divide, no matter which way you go! And with a trailer on the back.

Congrats and big credits. :)

shrubb face

Postby shrubb face » 12 Dec 2010, 20:13

keep pushing vic.

Trouty

Postby Trouty » 13 Dec 2010, 09:04

Hey Vic, small world. I was just talking to Adz at City Bike depot about his plans for Christmas and seeing his family at Rylestone. I then obviously said I know some one riding in that area now (yourself)...and it turns out Adz has kitted you out with the a heap of your stuff for your little tour. He showed me the trailer your towing...That's a big trailer to tow all that way! Anyway - I still think you're nuts but good on you for doing it. Just don't do another 155km day - that would be so not fun, no wonder you needed some phone support. You'lle be pretty fit when you get back.

orphic

Postby orphic » 13 Dec 2010, 19:38

Yeah Adam is a total legend, could not have done this without him! Trailer, tent, sleeping mat, stove, bar bag, fenders, tyres and probably a whole heap of other stuff were borrowed from him... Not to mention help with formulation of the route over many beers.

The trailer was indeed heavy, I weighed it when I got to Mum and Dads place tonight - 28kg! And that's with only half the water I was carrying most of the time. The bike weighs 13.3kg... Not exactly weight weenie touring. It was hard slog but worth it to be able to carrying around everything I needed to live off. I reckon I could have gone for months as long as I could keep on buying food.

Really not looking forward to coming home tomorrow, has been such an amazing experience and I would love for it to live on forever...

Trouty

Postby Trouty » 13 Dec 2010, 21:17

Yeah Adz is a legend, worth bottling - I'm glad you got some good advice for the trip, it's a bit of an epic Journey planning on your own.

Oh well - back home tomorrow, we all have to come down to reality. Now you can be back to work and depressed like the rest of us.

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 13 Dec 2010, 21:29

JonB

Postby JonB » 14 Dec 2010, 10:35

The trailer was indeed heavy, I weighed it when I got to Mum and Dads place tonight - 28kg! And that's with only half the water I was carrying most of the time. The bike weighs 13.3kg... Not exactly weight weenie touring. It was hard slog but worth it to be able to carrying around everything I needed to live off. I reckon I could have gone for months as long as I could keep on buying food.
Great work Vic. Did you use a mountain bike or touring bike?

I used a Bob Yak trailer on a tour from Melbourne to Sydney (via the Snowies) the other year. After the 2nd day I posted a load of stuff home in an attempt to lose some weight. Even emptied out half a tube of toothpaste at one point too (the first few days hurt). The Bob trailers are great pieces of kit but mine weighs 7.5 kg's unloaded (all steel construction). I was thankful of it though during the ride up the Barry Way to Jindabyne over all the corrugated dirt roads. On unmade, rough roads, the bike handles a lot better than with panniers in my opinion.

Any pics? Any GPS tracks uploaded?

For my next trip I am thinking of a super lightweight, minimalist adventure. Basically you end up strapping most kit to your bike and wear a small backpack. Heading to Thredbo over Xmas so hoping to attempt an overnight trip. Look on the Bike Packing website for inspiration. http://www.bikepacking.net

orphic

Postby orphic » 16 Dec 2010, 10:59

I was on a touring bike Jon. Most of it was on road, and any unsealed road was packed pretty tight.

I think that the bob trailer was good for a solo holiday where it was nice to be really comfortable - carry excess food and wine and whatever else I thought was needed. It was also really good for making my legs nice and strong :) I would not want to be carrying it if I was touring in a group, either on or off road.

I will get pics up soon, and GPS too.

I am already planning the next one, which is also a super lightweight minimalist adventure! Lots of things I need to buy - I will probably do a DIY handlebar bag (strapping a stuff sack) but wouldn't mind getting one of the carousel seat bags or something similar. I'm still investigating my options. That should be enough to have the ASR going so I can do all off road, but I am actually looking at getting an Salsa El Mariachi with Enabler fork for future adventures. The 29er wheels with some good tyres should give me enough travel to run the rigid fork, and that fork is so cool! It has the spacing to run a rear wheel so you run it ready for single speed setup on the front in case of emergency, and can run 2 bottle cages so I can run a frame bag and get some weight off my back.

Interested in hearing what bike you are using and how/where/what you are strapping to your bike? I love looking at peoples packings lists and stuff... Want to learn as much as I can from other peoples fortunes/misfortunes so I can get it all super light and super right! ;)

Already been on the bikepacking.net tip. Has been providing me with lots of ideas since I've been back :)

orphic

Postby orphic » 17 Dec 2010, 08:52

I chucked some photos on book face last night

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2 ... =538041587

JonB

Postby JonB » 07 Jan 2011, 19:44

Hi Vic,

Apologies for the late reply.

Did a little trip over Xmas along the bike packing theme. We were staying in Thredbo so 3 of us attempted to get down to Tin Mine Hut on the Cascade Trail. About 35km along a double track into the Kosciusko National Park. Some great riding and reasonable technical in parts due to the late snow shredding the track. Fantastic water bars to jump over too!

Did it on the mountain bike (Santa Cruz Superlight) but as it is double track most of the way you may get away with a cross bike or sturdy touring bike. It is very rutty in spots though so mountain bike is best. Carried most of the weight in a backpack which wasn't ideal but as it was only an overnighter not too much of an issue. Did have a camping hammock strapped to the seat post mainly due to there being no room in my bag.

As it happened we made it just past Cascade Hut when a stick stuck it's head up and ripped my brothers derailleur clean off. The bush fires in 2003 in that area has left a lot of dead wood lying around and it seems that the trail past Cascade hut isn't cleared that often as there are some big trees across the trail, and lots of smaller branches all over the place.

As most of the remainder of ride was downhill we decided to single speed his bike and head back to Cascade Hut (I am in the process of buying some spare mech hangers!). The next day was painful as we waiting for my brother to catch up on anything but the downhill or steepest of climbs (he had a suitable gear for some of very steep climbs).

Overall a great trip and some lessons learnt.

Cheers.

Jon.

Return to “Conversation”