Choosing the right frame

Bicycle related chatter & discussion
Strawburger

Postby Strawburger » 01 Jun 2011, 11:13

Hi All,

Hope someone can shed some light on this topic for me. I raised this with Mike on the way back from Dinnerville and it's got me thinking further.

I'm looking for a frame that can basically get me up hills & long climbs faster/more efficient, something that gives me confidence going down hill, and does it's job in between those two.

I've already got an steel frame for commuting (lovely ride although sometimes harsh on the bumpy Sydney roads) and i currently race on an alu frame. I was thinking of keeping the alu one for the short flat races (crits) and the steel remains as the commuter. The problem with the current alu bike is that it does an good job but it's not that great at high speed (45km/hr+) and it can do better on long climbs. I've been on a few different bikes in similar situations to know that my existing race bike it's not that great!

Am i talking myself into a carbon frame here? If so, what should i be looking for in a carbon frame? I notice that there are many different varieties of carbon used in the frames. Is there a style of weave or resin used i should look for or avoid?

The new build would include a pretty nice groupset with some custom wheels most likely.

Any assistance or opinions would be greatly welcomed!

Simon

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 01 Jun 2011, 11:33

Unfortunately its not as easy as evaluating the style of weave or resin, because it boils down to the ability of the frame designer to captalise on the characteristics of the material being used amongst a host of other considerations.

Unless someone can specifically recommend a particular frame, its safer to go for a brand with a reputation for building good frames.

Your welcome to take mine for a spin. You can decide what you like and don't like about mine and that will help you narrow down your search

T-Bone

Postby T-Bone » 01 Jun 2011, 12:15

Going up hill is more about reducing the weight of the bike, shouldn't be too hard to do going from the alu frame. Downhill is more about geometry and weight distribution.

You can with any frame material really, though Alloy might not be as comfortable. The main questions are budget and personal preference, as there's plenty of nice frames around. Decide how much you want to spend, choices narrowed down, decide which ones you like the looks of, choices narrowed down, look at some reviews, ask opinions, etc.

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 01 Jun 2011, 13:22

There are lots of CF frames that's good enough for Pros to race on. Which is best for you will depend on how you feel. Otherwise wheels will make a huge difference to the ride and you may want to start looking there.

Richard

Postby Richard » 01 Jun 2011, 15:51

Some frames also have a slightly longer wheelbase than others. Other bikes have a longer headtube to suit riders like me with the flexibility of a plank.

You are welcome to try my old Roubaix (07 model) any time size 54cm.

If you are thinking about spending $$ then there is always the option of a custom Ti frame

Strawburger

Postby Strawburger » 02 Jun 2011, 11:41

thanks all for your responses.

I'm pretty happy with my set of wheels at the moment (TWE) but coming from R500's it's not hard to feel the difference. I've got some initial ideas on cost of frame so it's time to start looking around and gather a list of options. I may be back to ask further questions soon!

I may end up taking someone's bike for a quick spin to get the feel of a CF frame before making the leap into a purchase, i don't want to be stuck with a frame i don't like the characteristics of.

kiwiames

Postby kiwiames » 02 Jun 2011, 14:44

Hey Simon, Once you get a new carbon frame you wont want to ride the Alu one for any racing trust me!! .. keep it as a trainer/roller bike and spare commuter.

your budget will determine just what level of frame (carbon or otherwise) and groupset you can afford. The group set does not need to be top of the range either - usually they are double the price for about 150grams saved, in the case of Shimano anyway.
Spend the extra money on wheels.

A lighter bike will help you up the hills, but so will increased fitness - and BOTH will be even better!

Simon Llewellyn

Postby Simon Llewellyn » 02 Jun 2011, 21:34

Hey Simon, Once you get a new carbon frame you wont want to ride the Alu one for any racing trust me!! ..
I race on aluminium, always have on the road. I have a carbon track bike but everthing else is either steel or aluminium. There are many levels of aluminium quality and some are made better than others but at the end of the day it is fitness and race strategy which count the most.

Frame material is not the most important thing in choosing a racing frame. Geometry, right size, as James said weight (not necessarilly light) and as i've learnt head tube lenght are all much more important. Which depends on what you want to do with the bike.

kiwiames

Postby kiwiames » 02 Jun 2011, 22:10

True Simon - but as you say it depends on the quality of the alu frame. (not to mention wheels.)

If you compare my Alu bike with my new bike for racing and just riding in general - there is no comparison. I suspect once strawburger upgrades he'll feel the same.

Most alu frames would be great with dura ace and racing wheels! - Cheaper to buy a whole new carbon bike in my case :-)

weller

Postby weller » 03 Jun 2011, 09:27

In the past 30 odd years I've ridden & raced all types of frames - steel, aluminium, carbon and mixtures of each. I was lucky enough to get a custom titanium frame - best decision I ever made. It's exxy but well worth it.

CW

Return to “Conversation”