Road ID Bracelet

Bicycle related chatter & discussion
Dougie

Postby Dougie » 01 Feb 2012, 08:24

Morning All.

In light of Charles' prang on Sunday, I have ordered myself a "Road ID bracelet". They sent me an email with a voucher number for $1 off if you wish to order one. You may wish to consider purchasing one. Please also consider that if you fall off, your mates want to help. Being able to contact your family is important.

(I have no affiliation with Road ID and I have never used their product before)
SEE BELOW

Hello Douglas:

We are thrilled to have you as a customer and hope that we can count on you to spread the word about Road ID. In fact, to make it fun to spread the word, we created a unique coupon for you to pass along to your friends!
Here's the coupon number:

Coupon Number: ThanksDouglas11399830

This coupon is good for $1 off any Road ID order. It can be used up to 20 times in the next 30 days. Feel free to send this coupon via email, Twitter, Facebook, MySpace, town crier, or good ole fashion smoke signal.

To make your life even easier, we wrote a sample email that you can forward to your buddies. You can find the sample email (and a sample Tweet) below.

Thanks again for spreading the word about Road ID.

Be safe out there,

Edward Wimmer
Co-Owner
Road ID
800-345-6336
http://www.RoadID.com
http://www.MyRoadID.com
now on Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/RoadID
now on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/RoadID

Cheers Dougie

JoTheBuilder

Postby JoTheBuilder » 01 Feb 2012, 12:25

Thanks Dougie... I chose red to go with our jerseys. It's about what you look like after all.

rhys

Postby rhys » 01 Feb 2012, 16:51

Got this info in my wallet with a note for which hospital to take me to. I'm a frequent customer there so they know all my details :)

Eleri

Postby Eleri » 01 Feb 2012, 19:20

I always take my CA membership card with me. It has emergency contact details on it now - I don't think it did last year.

geoffs

Postby geoffs » 06 Feb 2012, 21:56

Good idea to carry something with emergency contact info.
Having an ICE (in case of emergency) number on your phone is pretty useless as most people lock their phone with pin numbers.

JoTheBuilder

Postby JoTheBuilder » 07 Feb 2012, 08:09

That's true Geoff. I've also been told by a paramedic friend that the last thing they do is check your phone for an ICE and the first thing they do is make sure you are OK and at the hospital. If you are so badly banged up you can't tell them your next of kin then your phone will be the least of their concerns.

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 07 Feb 2012, 13:10

A clearly written card with all relevant information is the most cost effective solution. No need for fancy 20 words commercial solution unless one cares for it.

Fact is, in an emergency and without direct information, the resuscitation team will follow protocol and not depend on any information on a tag/card. If a transfusion is needed, it's either O- or a formal crossmatch in the blood bank. As for being diabetic and others, these get screened very quickly and statements on the card won't materially matter in the short term. I would say one or more phone numbers for the next of kin is the most important as that's the one thing that brings more anxiety than all others. The emergency team can handle all medical problems independently but getting the consent to take John Doe to the next stage of treatment can often delay progress.

Trouty

Postby Trouty » 07 Feb 2012, 15:20

A clearly written card with all relevant information is the most cost effective solution. No need for fancy 20 words commercial solution unless one cares for it.

Fact is, in an emergency and without direct information, the resuscitation team will follow protocol and not depend on any information on a tag/card. If a transfusion is needed, it's either O- or a formal crossmatch in the blood bank. As for being diabetic and others, these get screened very quickly and statements on the card won't materially matter in the short term. I would say one or more phone numbers for the next of kin is the most important as that's the one thing that brings more anxiety than all others. The emergency team can handle all medical problems independently but getting the consent to take John Doe to the next stage of treatment can often delay progress.

Don't they only call them John Doe when there dead? Maybe that is just what I see in the movies.

Dougie

Postby Dougie » 08 Feb 2012, 13:25

My point on this "ID, next of kin" thing is just to carry it, in an easily accessible fashion. I have purchased a Road ID bracelet simply because to two phases of "more money than sense and all the gear and no idea" can always be used when describing me.

Oh and the bride wanted me to get it.

I don't care if the info is tattooed on your nose. i think carrying the CA license as a mandatory requirement is good.

Stuart

Postby Stuart » 08 Feb 2012, 13:40

Dougie, did you go for wrist or ankle, I can't decide which one to get.

Dougie

Postby Dougie » 08 Feb 2012, 14:43

As i already have a ball and chain i thought the the Road ID Anklette was a nice touch to accessorise with......
I also went with one of those necklaces made of fine gold chain with my name in a really nice cursive script. it looks a bit odd with all the chest hair but once i get a wax it will look a treat

rhys

Postby rhys » 08 Feb 2012, 19:26

Anklette is going to throw your pedalling symmetry out Dougie. Probably not, but it's going to be in the back of your mind now. Sorry!

Richard

Postby Richard » 09 Feb 2012, 09:55

.......and then there is the important consideration of the tan line you will get around one ankle

You could always do the old fashioned parental technique of writing your emergency contact mobile number in thick texta on your arm. We have been doing that to our poor kids at festivals for years.

"My name is Dougie. If found please return me to...."

Trouty

Postby Trouty » 09 Feb 2012, 13:49

Dougie, did you go for wrist or ankle, I can't decide which one to get.
Go with the wrist Stuey. Who ever looks down at your ankles anyway? Also your socks get in the way. When I was at primary school having an anklet meant you were a girl of loose morals (that was a long time ago). Of course I never wore one :)

Karzie

Postby Karzie » 09 Feb 2012, 14:06

Why didn't someone tell me? I was looking for girls with loose morals for decades!

.......Primary School, Trouty???

Richard

Postby Richard » 09 Feb 2012, 16:37

Alas I too gave up the search. If I had only known that the sign was right there in front of me the whole time. Very Dan Brown.

Trouty - Is it significant which ankle Stuart wears it on??

Return to “Conversation”