Angry with the NRMA? Looking for an alternative?

Bicycle related chatter & discussion
geoff m

Postby geoff m » 16 Jan 2008, 21:08

Here is a copy of a posting I put up in Sydney Cyclist. Please note that this is my personal view, and is not officially endorsed by the club, which may not necessarily take views on matters such as these:

I made some calls yesterday to the RACV in relation to the incredible anti-cycling and lack of planning foresight comments made by the NRMA last week.

They confirm that anyone can join them and get their services anywhere (except Bike Assist which is restricted to VIC). All you have to do is ask to transfer your current membership across and they will do that for you with NRMA. Your membership year's etc go with you to the new organisation. And if you ever change back (assuming NRMA becomes more engaged on cycling issues), then your continued service amongst all motoring organisations reverts to the NRMA, RACQ, RACV or whatever.

It works largely like private health insurance.

So, if you live in NSW, you are free to join say RACV or RACQ, register an almost identical road service, and call a toll free number when in trouble. They will then ring the NRMA up who will service you under their contractrual reciprocal obligations.

So, imagine this.

Its possible to influence thousands of cyclists who also drive to transfer across to a much more cycling friendly organisation like say RACQ. Not only does NRMA lose memberships at a vulnerable time (complaints about reduced services, car inspections services etc), but they lose valuable revenue, whilst incurring the same expenses base, as they end up servicing these NSW domiciled RACV members.

This could have a significant impact on NRMA, and is something people could also consider making known to them when we write our personal letters of protest to the NRMA Board members and representatives.

It could make them think twice on issue about cycling due to strong comment from their cycling member base or exiting member base. It may also cause them to try to change rules on reciprocal rights, which I doubt they would be able to do, given that all the national organisations have to rely on these reciprocal rights as key elements of their offerings. But for them to even contemplate this, means our actions are victorious in getting a response and hitting a raw nerve.

I'm thinking of making the switch.

Adrian E

Postby Adrian E » 16 Jan 2008, 21:27

Have you made the switch yet?

geoff m

Postby geoff m » 16 Jan 2008, 21:33

Not yet.. only just made the enquiry about the possibility

Eugen Schilter

Postby Eugen Schilter » 17 Jan 2008, 20:02

I'm not into road assistance but I have a no-caps-for-crap nrma car insurance which I want to axe. Have you got advice on this?

And: I do not want to enter a dispute over insurance not being the same crowd as road service. In fact nrma insurance is deceptive since it is maskerading as a co-operative which, at law, from what I understand, is forbidden; how they get away with this is a mystery to me since long. They obviously profiteer from the nrma name and now deserve the bad side of it as well.

Also (No2): This week I got baldy abused 3 times in two days. The last time was so bad and scared the hell out of me so that I had to stop and recover on the footpath. I sense that nrma bloke's comments created additional aggro ('Just run him over' the motorcyclist advised the angry Ute driver behind me at a traffic light on Victoria road; I'm still shaking from it)

geoff m

Postby geoff m » 17 Jan 2008, 20:11

Eugen,

You know what they say about utes......'coffins on wheels'.

NRMA used to be a co-op only, but demutulised its main assets being the insurance arm and floated as IAG Group. They still keep the NRMA brand in NSW because of the value of the brand (value has just devalued).

Your main beef should really be with the co-op which has remained just to provide road service like it used to do. Although you will note they have bought up hotel and car rental assets recently.

geoff m

Postby geoff m » 17 Jan 2008, 20:14

Eugen, I was just reading my Australian Cyclist magazine today which is a 6 months old edition. There's a page on the PennyFarthing championships with a great picture of James. Beside it is an article on the $15,000 you have put up for anyone to beat your round Australia record.

Has anyone challenged your record?

Eugen Schilter

Postby Eugen Schilter » 17 Jan 2008, 21:44

One is starting 29March08 from Perth; the other is starting in Gosford on 28April08.
More on my webpage www.aa56.org

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 22 Jan 2008, 12:05

NRMA, RACQ, RACV who has the cheapest road side assist? Is there any differences in the rates.

Car insurance. Research on the web each year, there is usually a wholesaler some where that can get you car insurance for about half what it costs from the NRMA.

Return to “Conversation”