Wheelie up Gladesville bridge

Bicycle related chatter & discussion
Eugen Schilter

Postby Eugen Schilter » 17 Jan 2008, 20:25

Not me but a powerful motorcycle this arvo revved up its engine just decimeters away from me and went into a prolonged wheelie up the ramp amongst the cars! What a show and for five minutes my ears were singing; must have be 120dBA! :evil: Motorist are certainly asserting themselves too and are marking their territory. I guess to get the same amount of fun out of the dearer fuel dollar they have to lift their game a notch.

geoff m

Postby geoff m » 17 Jan 2008, 20:48

Eugen,

I don't think I will ride with you anymore. Too many weird and dangerous people attracted to you!

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 17 Jan 2008, 21:07

Eugene, I've told you a thousand times, don't drag race those motorcyclists. You don't burn petrol but they do. Very bad for the environment! :wink:

BTW, your wheelie looked mighty fast too, just awfully quiet.

Eugen Schilter

Postby Eugen Schilter » 17 Jan 2008, 21:18

Geoff
Possibly! Anyhow I have ordered a helmet movie camera ($159 from Torpedo7). So on next training I will ride behind to put your road troubles on undisputable record. As a warning it does sound too, I think.

geoff m

Postby geoff m » 17 Jan 2008, 21:22

What a great idea for taking evidence.

Also, we could put a bit of a composition together, much like the Saturday Slowies video clip, and post some road training rides on our web site.

T-Bone

Postby T-Bone » 17 Jan 2008, 21:24

I've been thinking of getting one of those cameras, just have never come to a decision on whether the quality would be good enough for me. I'll have to see how your footage works out.

jimmy

Postby jimmy » 18 Jan 2008, 07:57

A friend bought one of those cameras for his motorbike, Fat Cyclist got one and posted a couple of videos from it as well as some Comments on it.

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=CHmF7Fgo5-Q

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=TMihXfKHekc

Basically, from what I can gather, to keep the frame rate high, it only refreshes alternative halves of the shot, so if you have it set to say 25fps (standard), then the first time it will refresh the top half, and then the lower half of the shot, this causes it to be very wobbly.

At the end of the day, this is a fully self contained camera which can take an SD Card, it is waterproof (so it can take a shower of rain), and if you are prepared to put up with its limitations, then it is a pretty good device.

James

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 18 Jan 2008, 08:21

With all the modern compact digital cameras offering video mode, it's not too difficult to use it on a ride. I've seen people making a custom mount for their camera and getting good results.

micklan

Postby micklan » 18 Jan 2008, 09:46

Hi - golfers get their swing filmed by the pro and the video is then analyzed and improvements made - we could ger a motor bike to follow us and film :idea:

jimmy

Postby jimmy » 19 Jan 2008, 16:32

In relation to the original topic, and from Eugen's other post regarding the road rage he experience, I thought that I would pass something along which I have found.

First, up, I am aware that dead right is still dead, obviously you have to learn how far you can push this before trying it.

When the majority of motorists (i.e. probably 99.9% or higher) start threatening you, either by yelling, leaning on the horn, revving the engine or tail gating you. All they are basically doing is making noise, very very few people actually want to hurt you. Yes, I am aware that there is a very small amount or are willing to hurt you to get to work etc that 30 seconds quicker, but they are few and far between.

This does take nerve, and it can be quite intimidating having a truck only a foot or two from your rear wheel, but if you can hold your nerve, and assert your rights, there is very little they can do, other than what I mentioned above. I regularly do this, and as they scream an obscenity at me as they drive past, I either just shake my head or blow them a kiss.

One thing which always astounds me is when I see other cyclists sitting in the gutter when riding, personally, I find it safer to sit a bit further out in the lane, as it forces the motorist into the other lane when they go past you. If they can squeeze past you in the same lane, then odds are they will, and that is asking for their side mirror to collect you (or if they are towing a trailer, it is even more scary).

I will admit that keeping your cool and nerve on the road isn't always easy, I know that I lose mine occasionally. Obviously, if you don't feel safe doing what I suggested above, then don't do it, I recognise that it isn't a solution for everybody. But I have found that it is something that gets easier, the more you do it.

James

timyone

Postby timyone » 21 Jan 2008, 15:56

be careful lads, ive been a witness on a case where a push bike lad banged on a guys window because he had nearly taken him out, the guy jumped out of the car and totally hammered him (a push, not punch) then after he had fallen over the guy held him by the throat, yelling at him, before i jumped off my motor bike and ran towards him, which got the guy to jump in his car again and drive off :S

theres some crazy drivers that will hit you if they get the chance :S

geoff m

Postby geoff m » 21 Jan 2008, 21:07

When the majority of motorists (i.e. probably 99.9% or higher) start threatening you, either by yelling, leaning on the horn, revving the engine or tail gating you. All they are basically doing is making noise, very very few people actually want to hurt you. Yes, I am aware that there is a very small amount or are willing to hurt you to get to work etc that 30 seconds quicker, but they are few and far between.
Its probably the 0.1% or less that are the ones you want to avoid. In fact official line is probably its not worth the risk. Up to each rider to assess the risks vs making a stand/statement for cycling.

I have two memories to share:

1. 2 years ago I was at work on a Saturday and got caught up so had to race down Anzaz Parade towards Maroubra to make the Heffron Park criterium start time.

Because the third and kerb lane was generally parked out I took the middle of the three lanes and was travelling a good 50kms per hour at the same speed as the traffic as I raced to make the start time.

Both lanes were reasonably busy so no cars could pass through on the inside lanes.

I could hear some honking from three or four cars back.

I saw a break for at least 300metres on the kerbside lane and pulled into it and stopped at lights. Some cars pulled into that lane as well. In the middle lane beside me was a horse float.

Then I heard, "Get off the xxxxen road...etc". It was muffled and I swear it was coming out the horse float. So I looked up at the horse seeing if it was Mr Ed, before I heard, "No, not there you xxxx'in idiot, here behind".

I turned around and the impatient car had now moved into my lane and just behind me whilst waiting for the lights to change. He actually seemed more angry I thought it was the horse 'wispering' to me.

When we set off and I held my lane, he went beserk. He honked and yelled and put his arm out the window and started belting the top of his car roof.

I felt him behind me about 1 meter. After about 100 metres and his screaming and banging getting loader, I noticed him about 20cm behind my back wheel. At that point I 'submitted' and quickly pulled into the left curb without losing speed.

When I watched him go on for another 200 metres banging his hand on the roof and screaming, before turning into Kensington, I realised this guy was on day release I had wisely pulled over as I had just met 'Mr 0.1%.

geoff m

Postby geoff m » 21 Jan 2008, 21:16

My second experience was on Sunday when riding thru RNP by myself.

I had climbed the Audley Hill and was heading down the next valley - the one which goes down about 1km then over the small bridge and up again.

Half way down three cars came up behind but as I was cornering I took the whole road, but it didn't seem an issue as I was cornering as fast as the cars could do anyway. It was only for about 30 seconds anyway.

When I went over the bridge and headed up the hill I naturally pulled to the left as I climbed. No problems for the first two cars going by who had good vision ahead and a plenty of space as no traffic was coming the other way.

The third driver had to give me a nasty honk as if "get off the road". So I gave him the finger, and he then put his arm out and gave it back. So I gave him a wonderful kiss.

Then I thought about it.

Alone....

In the National Park.....

No witnesses.........

Images of Ivan M..............

So on reflection, I should have let that one go to the keeper.

jimmy

Postby jimmy » 22 Jan 2008, 12:49

I think that motorists fall into one of four main categories in relation to their attitude towards cyclists.

1) Considerate - They are prepared to give you as much time as you need to take, will give you plenty of space when passing you etc.
2) Ignorant - They don't care either way, but they won't always give you sufficient space when overtaking etc, not because they hate you, but because they don't think. This is probably the largest group.
3) Aggressive - These will do anything to overtake you, they don't like being behind you on principal. If they can't overtake you, they won't endanger you, but they don't like the idea of you on the road.
4) Hostile - These are the ones to watch out for. They will threaten to run you over, lean on the horn, give you rude gestures and the like. If you delay their trip by as little as 5 seconds, they are prepared to risk your life and limbs to make that time up.

As per my earlier post, you don't need to apply what I said to 1 or 2, they just deal with you on the road. You can apply it to type 3, as long as you feel that they are type 3, as soon as you realise that they are type 4, then it is probably safer to get off the road.

In the two examples that Geoff gave, I would say that the first is probably a borderline between type 3 and 4, given enough provocation, he would probably cross over into type 4. Someone like that would make me think twice about provoking them.

I suspect that the second one is pretty safely in type 3. But then again, I may be wrong on that.

James

Return to “Conversation”