Do cyclists pay for road use?

Bicycle related chatter & discussion
Eugen Schilter

Postby Eugen Schilter » 17 Jan 2008, 21:05

You probably know that I believe that fuel tax cover road costs only to a small extent. Furthermore I have never adopted the position that cyclists pay for road use by virtue of them also being motorists. [Simply because in my view a non-motorist cyclist is as good (if not better) a cyclist then a car owner cyclist. As a matter of fact I saw already a newspaper letter pubished in which I advocated for a rego for bicycles.]

Nevertheless it occurs to me now that the argument could be turned to good use by quasi putting it on its head; and this could go like this: A survey is made among 100 randomly selected motorists as to their monthly fuel consumption for private use. The average of the cyclists among the 100 surveied is then compared to the rest (the noncyclists-motorists). If the cyclist's average is lower then that would prove, would'nt it?, that cyclist-motorists in fact subsidise noncyclist-motorists because cyclist-motorists pay more rego per km driven, pay more personal tax per km driven and pay more council rates per km driven while paying the same fuel excise and GST per km driven. Am I right or is there a flaw in this logic?

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 22 Jan 2008, 12:12

Car related taxes are not used to fund roads. Car related taxes go to the government and the government then spends funds on roads out of all taxation. Everyone who pays taxation pays for the roads.

Is there a relationship between Cigarette tax and hospital funding?

Return to “Conversation”