Motorist road rage incident - charged in N'castle court

Bicycle related chatter & discussion
marc2131

Postby marc2131 » 05 Dec 2013, 07:09

While on a ride with the C25s last Sunday, we encountered a particularly aggressive middle aged driver heading south along the Sutherland shops.
I was leading the bunch, so didn't see everything, but when I heard someone shouting and the heavy revving of a car engine I looked back to see a white (toyota?) force itself into the middle of the bunch and then try to overtake the rest. We were in formation at the time, and there were no sizeable gaps for this driver to push in. We quickly moved aside to avoid being hit. As she drove away she continued shouting at us.
I've been doing regular Waterfall rides since Sept/Oct 2011, but have never come across a situation as in-your-face as this.
Unfortunately, my experience with the NSW police on bicycle altercations with car drivers is negative. NSW Police seem to not take us seriously and, in my case, actively work against cyclists (fortunately in my case I won, thanks to Jacob C, the Valley Wheelers, Dougie and Stuart's GoPro).
However with the growth of cycling as a practical transport alternative and road-based activity, I believe the recalcitrants are being forced to sit up and take notice. According to the Newcastle Herald, a driver was charged this month for a road rage incident against cyclist.
See story here: http://www.theherald.com.au/story/18796 ... sts/?cs=12

utopia

Postby utopia » 06 Dec 2013, 11:07

That's pretty upsetting.
I've taken my 13 yo for a ride on the C25s before, and wouldn't like to come across a malicious, criminal driver intent on using a 1000kg+ weapon to intimidate and possibly injure other road users and getting away scot-free.

Return to “Conversation”