Forum & Website Features I'd like to see

Bicycle related chatter & discussion
Philip

Postby Philip » 18 May 2014, 18:55

Am I the only one to get iritated at the inability to post images directly on the forum.

Any way this is a link to a pic of Adam from Saturday's Hills Ride. It seems to work as a link on a computer but not on Tapatalk.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/x4v7kwb0vfdvg ... 6.39-1.jpg

Eleri

Postby Eleri » 18 May 2014, 20:40

Am I the only one to get iritated at the inability to post images directly on the forum.
In fact talking about just this at dinner. The forum has the capability - just depends how much we want to spend on storage. We chose the cheap option when we were a small club with no money. We've got a better bank balance now.

Stuart

Postby Stuart » 18 May 2014, 21:00

Am I the only one to get irritated at the inability to post images directly on the forum. Any way this is a link to a pic of Adam from Saturday's Hills Ride. It seems to work as a link on a computer but not on Tapatalk.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/x4v7kwb0vfdvg ... 6.39-1.jpg
To see the photo in-line on the forum you need to put the [img] tags on it but SSL enabled links won't work as in https://

I'd suggest Photobucket or something similar

Here's the FAQ >> http://dhbc.org.au/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1017

Philip

Postby Philip » 18 May 2014, 22:32

Stuart and Eleri, I was linking images through Flickr but that's double handling and Flickr has become a pain (yahoo's killed Flickr). As it stands I backup images to drop box, I don't really want to then load them onto another service and then link them back to the forum. It's a small thing but It all takes time. The images I love I post on Instagram and FB but only the people who follow me see them. I often have extra pictures of people in the club who I don't know and an easy way to get these on the forum would cool. It may well be costly and also may well clog up the discussion streams. Just having a grumble. I could of course post them to the club FB page but that also shows up on my feed and I already test the patience of friends and family. Oddly some people don't share our love of the Lycra aesthetic. As I said, a grumble, it just seems a shame to waste them.

Karzie

Postby Karzie » 19 May 2014, 08:44

It's a good point Philip. I have similar issues, esp with time. The other thing is that the club itself doesn't have the photos. It's great to discover forgotten resources like the photo album that John and Marc recovered from an old member, but things like that don't exist any more as it's all digital. Once the linked photo disappears, that it. I wonder how many old DHBC posts were to Flickr for instance. There's a whole chapter of the story might go missing.

Stuart

Postby Stuart » 19 May 2014, 17:40

[admin] I moved these posts from the Sat Hills ride thread [/admin]

The issue with hosting photos is that over time we'll need more and more disk space, unless we have a policy to delete old photos. The club has a Gmail account and for $20 a year we can have 80GB of online storage for photos but I know that doesn't help this situation. I discussed this with Eleri on Sun and we'll look into additional web storage. I'll update here.

Also would love to hear of requests for features you may have seen elsewhere that would be good on the forum or the website, which is currently undergoing an upgrade and facelift.

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 19 May 2014, 20:36

The problem is with dropbox, if you can find the correct link it should work

jcaley

Postby jcaley » 17 Aug 2015, 14:37

I would like the board index to display on Tapatalk as subforums. Because tapatalk can't display the index, I can't browse the forum or create a new topic in tapatalk. I can do these things on another forum using Tapatalk. Blake?

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 17 Aug 2015, 17:06

I post pictures using tapatalk on another fourm. A far as I can see tapatalk is hosting the photo

Stuart

Postby Stuart » 18 Aug 2015, 10:24

@John - I can see sub-forums and create new topics in Tapatalk on iOS?

jcaley

Postby jcaley » 18 Aug 2015, 13:36

Maybe it is an android tapatalk problem

Stuart

Postby Stuart » 19 Aug 2015, 15:38

Yes, lets get some storage updates and allow attaching of photos. That just took me 10+ mins! Also, then we don;y get all the broken photo links as users other accounts expire or they change.

jcaley

Postby jcaley » 24 Aug 2016, 15:18

It would be good to add a Favicon to make it easier to find the site in favourite lists etc. Maybe just the D in it's circle or the winged thing from the old emblem?

Return to “Conversation”