PhD research on cycling at DHBC

Bicycle related chatter & discussion
NickF

Postby NickF » 14 Mar 2017, 14:14

Hi everyone I’ve been a member of Dulwich Hill Bicycle Club since last year after a long period as a competitive rower. I am also a PhD candidate within the Department of Gender and Cultural Studies at the University of Sydney and I am interested in researching cycling as a component of my PhD project on sport.

Recently the DHBC committee approved my research proposal which involves interviews and participant observation amongst consenting club members. I'm interested in athlete’s long-term relationships with endurance sport and sporting culture and the role that these relationships play in their lives. While my research focusses in particular on men’s attachments to sporting cultures, I am also interested in women’s and otherwise gendered individuals’ relationships with these sports and the communities generated around them.

Should you consent to taking part in the research it involves participant observation across a period of nine to twelve months. Participant observation involves me taking part in early morning training rides in order to observe how consenting research participants engage around the practice of cycling. In addition to my participant observation, I will also invite consenting participants to take part in interviews that involve reflection on their current fitness practices and ongoing relationship with sport.  

Thanks for taking the time to read the post. There may be a few times throughout the week that I mention my research at coffee at which point I can provide information statements and consent forms if you would like to take part. I've attached them here for people to view. You are more than welcome to send completed consent forms via email if you so choose. I'll also reiterate that no observation takes place unless you consent in writing to the research.

I’m always available to answer any questions and elaborate more on my work, whether on this forum, on a ride or via email.

Hopefully I’ll see everyone at the morning rides through the week.

Nick
Attachments
Research information and consent documents.zip
(213.52 KiB) Downloaded 180 times

Neilm

Postby Neilm » 16 Mar 2017, 16:15

Hi Nick I would be up for that

NickF

Postby NickF » 18 Mar 2017, 21:15

Hi Neil,

That's great to hear. I'm interested to hear your thoughts. Next time we're on a ride together we can go over the participation info at coffee and (if you want) you can consent to the research in writing. Otherwise if it suits you better you can also download the zip file in my first post and send a signed consent form to my University of Sydney account: nfog8703@uni.sydney.edu.au

Whichever option works best for you.

See you on a ride soon.

NickF

Postby NickF » 14 Apr 2017, 17:42

Hi everyone,

I thought I should post on the forum that I’ve managed to sprain my ankle. I’ve damaged a few ligaments and it looks like I’ll be off the bike for the next few weeks. Hopefully I’ll see everyone on a morning ride soon.

NickF

Postby NickF » 06 Nov 2017, 09:54

Hello,

The participant observation component of my research has finished! Thank you to those who took part. There were twenty-two participants involved in the observation and this will play a role in my final dissertation submission in just under two years’ time. I’ll still be in the bunch as an active member and am really happy to chat about the research with anyone that is interested.

Return to “Conversation”