Special Saturday Slowies Ride - 24 May (Ride of Silence)

Bicycle related chatter & discussion
Adrian E

Postby Adrian E » 09 May 2008, 08:19

Many of you will be horrified by the news of the road rage incident that occured yesterday morning. This event really highlights some of the problems we have in the city about our safety as cyclists and a dangerous lack or respect for cyclists by many motorists.

I wanted to propose that some or all of us attend the Ride of Silence that is being organised on Sat 24 May in Hyde Park at 10am. I was going to suggest that we do our regular saturday slowies ride then go for an alternate place for coffee and breakfast (say Surry Hills?), then roll on to the city to attend the ride.

Note this is no 'critical mass' ride and all road rules will be respected.

For information on Ride of Silence events across Australia at:
http://www.rideofsilence.org/locations- ... #Australia

And to get flyers on the Sydney event go to:
http://www.sydneycyclist.com/forum/topi ... ic%3A18608

Please let me know if you think you can make it on the 24th.
Last edited by Adrian E on 09 May 2008, 09:31, edited 1 time in total.

Stuart

Postby Stuart » 09 May 2008, 09:19

I'll be there for sure & I expect Jo will be too. We must make ourselves heard if we are ever to improve our safety and get even a samll amount of respect from motorists in this city.

Toff

Postby Toff » 09 May 2008, 09:44

This is a ride I would love to support, but with such sketchy details I can't commit, since I've got a prior engagement that starts at 12. Needs to be better organised to see good numbers...

lindsay

Postby lindsay » 09 May 2008, 09:46

Adrian,

This is a good suggestion. I'll tell everyone tomorrow & next week. Perhaps we could split up so we still have a group going back to Marrickville.

Cheers

Stuart

Postby Stuart » 09 May 2008, 11:06

Adrian - Do you know any of the organisers? Here's a comment I got from a cycling (triathlon) friend regarding attending this years ride. Ignore some of the more colourful descriptions of the riders please!

"Unfortunately Stuart I wouldn't recommend doing this ride. I did it last year as my friend's father was killed on Foreshore Drive a few months previously, and I pulled out of the ride only about 2km into it. The guy leading the group (a socks and sandals type) wanted everyone to stay together and would wait on the other side of traffic lights for the whole bunch to get through if the light changed (and it was a big bunch) - the route goes along Liverpool St near Chinatown - and there are heaps of lights to get through to get to Clarence St then lots of lights along Clarence. We were causing quite a bit of trouble for the Saturday traffic in these areas and I was embarrassed to be a part of it.

There are alot of PeeWee Herman bikes, mountain bikes and lots of people who never ride on the road. Unless it is being organised by someone like the head of your riding club - a seasoned road cyclist I wouldn't do it again."

So I volunteered to help out on the day with marshalling and in route selection and maybe more of us should get involved to make sure it's a success? Especially those who cycle commute regarding the route to be taken as there is no official support for this event so no road closures or barricades or police.

Adrian E

Postby Adrian E » 09 May 2008, 11:33

Hi Stuart, I've meet Micheal McGrath who I think is co-ordinating it.

Good on you for helping out.

Regarding your friends comments, I must say they sound spot on to me. I did it in 2006 and it was a bit of a mess circling Hyde Park and being cut up but the traffic caught between us. The fact is that most rodies know how to ride in a fast tight bunch and this works in the city and it works at 6am in the morning. Everyday riders can't do this and so they get strung out.

In terms of the route, my only advice would be to make it as short as possible. The reality is, the aim is not the ride, but the gathering, and its use to attract the media and raise awareness about this issue. I'd suggest a route with as few cross roads as possible would be best, say down to Lady macquaries Chair or down Macquarie Street which is largely blocked off on most of the side streets.

timyone

Postby timyone » 09 May 2008, 13:50

im skipping every thing like this still :S
But yes, unlike critical mass which im against, because i think it is one of the things that makes people hate cyclists, im not against this one.
though i dont think it will help get people not to hate cyclists :S

Adrian E

Postby Adrian E » 09 May 2008, 14:26

We'll get people to hate cyclists by meeting in a park, and having a few people male public comments on our safety concerns as road users in front of the media?, and then go for a short ride round the city.

Hmmm....

Adrian E

Postby Adrian E » 21 May 2008, 12:55

Hi All,
Just a reminder the ride of silence is on this Saturday morning at 10am. For those interested I was going to suggest we ride back from centennial park at 8am like we usually do, then split off into two groups after Redfern Station. One group can go back to Marrickville rd for the regular breakfast and those who want to go to the Ride of Silence could go to the Tripod Cafe on Abercrombie St, Chippo, then we'd head into the city. Wear your club jersey's and ride with pride!

Camilla

Postby Camilla » 21 May 2008, 15:48

Any idea what time this event finishes? the website is still pretty vague. I'm very keen to come but am supposed to be in Crowns Nest for yum cha at 12.

Adrian E

Postby Adrian E » 21 May 2008, 15:53

I'm not really sure when it will end. The start is at 10am. Hopefully it'll get going quickly but I'm going to call it on the day in terms of how long to stay. I've got to be back home by 12 for a birthday party.

timyone

Postby timyone » 21 May 2008, 23:08

im out for the slow ride in front of the cars :S i have a preaching conference thing on :S

Stuart

Postby Stuart » 27 May 2008, 09:41

here are some photo's from the ride - staring some DHBC members - I can't get the links to work using the [img] tag for some reason - any ideas?

http://www.phuonglet.com/photos/showimg ... G_0295.jpg

http://www.phuonglet.com/photos/showimg ... G_0296.JPG

http://www.phuonglet.com/photos/showimg ... G_0259.JPG

http://www.phuonglet.com/photos/showimg ... G_0260.JPG

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 27 May 2008, 10:16

The seem to have done a good job of hiding the path. Now we have a challenge....

Code: Select all

http://www.phuonglet.com/photos/photo.php?file=/080524%20Ride%20Of%20Silence%20Sydney/_res/res_IMG_0295.JPG

Return to “Conversation”