Campy Chain

Bicycle related chatter & discussion
wallman

Postby wallman » 22 May 2008, 11:34

After another round of hilarious DIY hijinx on my bike I've found myself in the awkward situation of having a new 10sp chain and chain link but no chain link guide with which to install it. So next time someone installs a new 10sp campy chain could they keep the guide pin and pass on to me if possible. In the meantime I'm going to have to grab myself a Wipperman link so that I've got something connecting my cranks to my rear wheel for the Dinnerville.

cheers, matt

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 22 May 2008, 11:53

Huh? The guide pin comes with each new chain and link chain. Are you sure you didn't miss it? It comes in a tiny plastic sleeve along with the actual link pin. Your problem with using a Wippermann is that the chain will have to be one link shorter than if you were using the pin link. Alternatively, I would go to Stanmore Cycles and see if they have a spare. I wouldn't be surprised if they do.

T-Bone

Postby T-Bone » 22 May 2008, 12:05

I prefer the wipperman/KMC chain links anyway. Much easier to remove the chain for proper cleaning. I think shimanos new chain is even going to have one of these links.

FAswad

Postby FAswad » 22 May 2008, 12:14

Next time, buy Shimano

FAswad

Postby FAswad » 22 May 2008, 12:15

Let the flames begin

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 22 May 2008, 12:41

I hate flame baits! They should all get thrown to the fish... Using S branded fishing rods. :twisted:

williamd

Postby williamd » 22 May 2008, 13:02

I have got a new campy chain .

How many kilometres should I replace the existing chain.

Do you need any special tools to replace the chain.

wallman

Postby wallman » 22 May 2008, 13:10

Huh? The guide pin comes with each new chain and link chain. Are you sure you didn't miss it? It comes in a tiny plastic sleeve along with the actual link pin. Your problem with using a Wippermann is that the chain will have to be one link shorter than if you were using the pin link. Alternatively, I would go to Stanmore Cycles and see if they have a spare. I wouldn't be surprised if they do.
All true, however I managed to snap the little pin of the end of the guide pin on my first install attempt, hence the reference to hijinx. I've actually just been to Stanmore Cycles and not only don't they have any spare used guide pins but they were asking $40 for a new replacement. They've now sold me a 6.1mm Connex link for almonst that much which comes in a box which I've just noticed says it's compatible with every 10sp chain under the sun except Campy. Thoughts?

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 22 May 2008, 13:16

I have got a new campy chain .

How many kilometres should I replace the existing chain.

Do you need any special tools to replace the chain.
You need a chain breaker tool to do the job. There are cheapie ones and there are expensive ones eg. Campy model. A mid-range one should be fine.

Chain replacement should be based on wear rather than some arbitary km. You measure wear based on measuring that so called "chain stretch" (see Sheldon Brown). I use Campy's spec with a vernier caliper.

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 22 May 2008, 13:27

All true, however I managed to snap the little pin of the end of the guide pin on my first install attempt, hence the reference to hijinx. I've actually just been to Stanmore Cycles and not only don't they have any spare used guide pins but they were asking $40 for a new replacement. They've now sold me a 6.1mm Connex link for almonst that much which comes in a box which I've just noticed says it's compatible with every 10sp chain under the sun except Campy. Thoughts?
That's bad luck. I looked into Connex some time back and decided to live with Campy pins. By all accounts, you can use Connex (although they have a number of models and you need to get the narrowest model they have) with 10 speed Campy chains, but it doesn't quite come down to the 5.9mm width of Campy. Does it matter? Probably not as others have used it with success.

If I were you, I'd get another chain for now and save that new chain to pair up with a link chain from PBK <http://www.probikekit.com/display.php?code=A9127> (shame it's out of stock for now but there's no hurry).

jimmy

Postby jimmy » 22 May 2008, 17:14

OK, you can install a Campy chain without the guide pin, you just need three hands...

How do I know it is possible? First time I installed a Campy chain, I didn't know what the guide pin was for, so I didn't use it.

Your other option, is to get a thin keyring, the sort that you get on those little plastic key tags and straighten it out so that you have a sort of C shape, you can then use that to hold the chain in place while the ends hang loose so you can line everything up.

This is not a game for anyone with a short temper, but it is possible.

James

T-Bone

Postby T-Bone » 22 May 2008, 22:43

i've got some weird springy tool that holds the chain ends close together, though i don't use it much as it's always too much effort finding it.

As for chains, i don't like the shimano too much, the replacement pins never seemed to snap in the right place the last time i had a dura-ace chain, so i just used one of the pins i had taken out. These days i've been using KMC chains which have worked perfectly and the links make life so much easier.

As for that connex link, you could always test it.

Return to “Conversation”