Need stronger legs

Bicycle related chatter & discussion
mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 09 Jun 2008, 20:17

This year its become apparent that my limiting factor is not my cardio limitations as it was in years past, but in the ability for my legs to simply put out enough watts.

The question is, what kinds of training increase the potential of the legs to output more power.

Adrian E

Postby Adrian E » 09 Jun 2008, 21:02

To be honest I have no idea, but targeted weights could help.

Eugen Schilter

Postby Eugen Schilter » 09 Jun 2008, 21:25

I'm glad you come to this view as I couldn't agree more. It certainly helped me. With the rather rare exception of body builder/football player type physiognomies I'm sure it yields very substantial improvements for nearly everybody. In cycling, as opposed to running, the Watt demand is very fluctuationg, high peaks are invariably, even in the toughest race, even in hill climb, followed by short respites. What killls a cyclist are the peaks, not he average. The inability to deliver peaks feels like a lack of endurance but improving endurance (average watt output) will give only marginal improvement. Look at this: If a runner can't cope anymore he/she slows down just a little and then is fine. In contast, if a rider competes in too hard a race he/she normally falls over big time and cannot even do average anymore.

My favourites are one legged presses and back strength workouts. These are weight bearing exercises and thus are very easily done at home, great in rainy weather or for 15min in between two leasure activities. No need to jump into lycra as I do them Pilates style, no sweating. Let me know and I show you how to do it.

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 09 Jun 2008, 21:47

Mike, you should know this and have heard about it on other forums more than many here. L4 2x20! That's the scientifically proven method to increase your FTP. The posters on that forum are some of the world's leading experts on this subject. Then there are other short duration peak power training as Eugene pointed out.

Simon Llewellyn

Postby Simon Llewellyn » 10 Jun 2008, 05:50

Mike from watching you ride a bike I don't actually think that strenght is the problem. With a powerlifting background you have more power than the average bike rider. Your cadence and pedal stroke on the otherhand is comparatively below your power output. Put simply the power you have isn't being transferred to the bike as efficiently as it could be. There's a lot of technique work which needs to be done...

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 10 Jun 2008, 10:31

Thanks for the feedback guys.

Weights
I have issues with my squatting, which I have discussed in detail on a weight lifting forum. In summary my squats should be about half way between my dead lifts and my bench press, where they are closer to my bench press. The problem doesn't seem to be just leg strength, but core strength and technique.

Weights for cycling is a contraversal subject, I do weights as an independent activity to cycling, however I'm always interested in how to gain cross benefit from my disciplines.

The question with weights, is why will I gain benefit from doing them? I should also note that I would not be doing more cycling if I wasn't doing weights.

L4 2x20
I have no understanding what so ever what the benefits are of doing this.
1. L4 Firstly I don't really understand of what L4 is? Is it time for me to get a heart rate monitor?
2. 2*20 Next question is, what does 2*20 do for me? If this is what I need, then I need to decode its benefit and work out a way to capatalise on that understanding so it can be incorporated into my current routine.
Perhaps you could suggest some research material for me.

Your cadence and pedal stroke on the otherhand is comparatively below your power output
Interesting observation.
1. Cadence I'm assuming you mean that my cadence is too low.
2. pedal stroke Do you know what is wrong with my pedal stroke?
Both of these are something I should focus on, while doing my commuting.

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 10 Jun 2008, 11:36

L4 2x20
I have no understanding what so ever what the benefits are of doing this.
1. L4 Firstly I don't really understand of what L4 is? Is it time for me to get a heart rate monitor?
2. 2*20 Next question is, what does 2*20 do for me? If this is what I need, then I need to decode its benefit and work out a way to capatalise on that understanding so it can be incorporated into my current routine.
Perhaps you could suggest some research material for me.
L4 here refers to a power band in reference to your FTP (Functional Threshold Power). It has some relationship to HR but it's not the same. As for 2x20, the key as far as I understand it are four,
1) Efficiency. Interval training is about efficiency, a scientifically proven scheme. It's about obtaining the most benefits for the least amount of bike time. You can potential gain as much or more by just ride and ride out there. But we, even pros, have to do other things away from the bike.
2) 15-20mins of continuous constant power output at L4 or better mobilizes a part of the metabolic pathway that improves one's FTP. Shorter than 8mins and you are in a different metabolic pathway while longer than 20mins (up to an hour) has no negatives but becomes harder and harder on the mind and starts to be unsustainable at the required power level.
3) Interval make the training more manageable. 5mins break b/n two 20mins lots gives you a mental rest. If you can sustain 40mins of continuous riding then you'll gain the same benefit. If you can do 3x20, that's even better.
4) Power output has to be as constant as possible over a particular interval. The idea is to sustain a constant power output for the duration of training to specifically activate certain metab pathways. Due to the way how the metabolic processes work, breaks in the output within each interval would forfeit a lot of the potential benefits. Compared with HR based training, constant HR does not correlate with constant power. Within a 20min session, one's power would drop if the HR is held constant. Here the focus is on the metabolic processes within one's leg muscles (and other associated muscle groups), hence the power meter approach.

I'd suggest that you read up on Andrew Coggan's work on the web or even his book. Obviously his power based training is intimately matched to a power meter (ie. $$$), but the physiology and foundation are scientifically sound and precise and can be applied, though less precisely without a power meter. The key is to understand the physiological and applied principles of that system and tailor it to your available facilities. Based on your specific needs, there are different interval training schemes that can be applied specifically to match your deficiencies. In my case, I use the PE (Perceived Exertion) during my Centennial rides and a stationary bike with a adjustable power setting on rainy days. I'll invest in a PM if I can justify the cost for an amateur leisure rider, maybe one day.

http://www.cyclingpeakssoftware.com/power411/

The Power Training and Cycling Training sub-forums on CyclingForums.com <http://www.cycling.net.au/> are full of gurus on the subject with frequent visits by Coggan. Daveofwyoming on there has been extremely helpful in answering questions. Alex Simmons is considered to be a local guru on this subject also. His personal web site is often very informative too. Maybe you are well advised to post your present question there and see what suggestions you receive.

The other issue I think you should be aware of is that weight lifting and cycling requires different types of muscle fibres. Your weight lifting training are actually stopping your muscles from fully adapting to what's best for cycling and probably vice versa. It may be an area of limitation that you are willing to accept.

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 10 Jun 2008, 17:14

Weiyun, thanks for the info, I'll try to dig thru it tonight.

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 10 Jun 2008, 19:01

Here's an addition graph that should help in deciphering the overall scheme.

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 10 Jun 2008, 19:54

Interesting graph, I need to learn what all this terminology means.

Whats;
- Arbitrary units
- Functional Threshold Power
- Physiological Strain

Why does Exercise Intensity go past 100%

Is Arbitrary units a percentage (it goes to 100). If so, what is a percentage of?

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 10 Jun 2008, 21:51

Arbitrary unit just means there's no specific physical unit (eg. Watts, kg, m). Just a scale for comparison purposes. Like 100 being the maximum possible and 0 being none.

FTP: Your best sustainable power for 1 hour ie. Time trial power. This is a very critical number for the understanding and practice of this power based training system.

Physiological strain: Stress on your body.

Exercise intensity (levels) is measured in reference to FTP. So if your required duration of activity is only 5mins, then you can maintain a much higher power output for that short 5mins than your FTP, eg. 200+% of your FTP.

Go and read through that web site I listed earlier and it'll all be much clearer to you.

Return to “Conversation”