Mid week riding

For the MTB and mud/dirt/rock lovers...
orphic

Postby orphic » 01 Dec 2009, 14:27

What's the most viable option to get some mountain bike training done during the week? Must be accessible by public transport/riding.

With all the track opens training on the weekend is pretty much out of the question. I tried doing Lindsay's Centennial Park loop but I just get bored. Is Manly Dam the closest thing we have?

NOOG

Postby NOOG » 01 Dec 2009, 14:44

There's some rides around Loftus oval, at the Audley entrance to RNP.
I'd say Manly Dam would be your easiest option.

JonB

Postby JonB » 08 Dec 2009, 21:02

I'd be interested in hearing about the Centennial Park loop. Is it off road?

Would also been keen on a mid-week after work trip from the city to Manly Dam and then ferry back. Done that route a few times now and reckon we could be at the dam in around an hour. I have some decent lights should it get dark but think we'd be ok this time of year.

Let us know if anyone is interested. Might go Thursday or early next week.

Cheers.

Jon.

MtbAnt

Postby MtbAnt » 08 Jan 2010, 14:16

With the amount of time the ferry and ride over to Manly takes (though it's fun!), you could also:

- Train it to Parra station and ride the ~3km to Lake Parramatta and do a few loops (quite short and technical, but good to mix it up). Ride a little further along windsor rd to find one of the roughest pubs around, The Tollgate, for a quick, and I stress quick, lager.

- Train it to the blue mountains and do Ando's, Oaks, Hanging rock, Narrow Neck (second two I haven't done).

- Train it to Pennant Hills and ride loops or do a decent ride to either beecroft (convoluted, so reasonable distance) or getting the train from macquarie nowadays is an option. Mmm Ranchalicious (Late Thursday arvo ride and rock up in your cycling garb you'll be a hit!)

- Train it to somewhere in the shire and do a lap of The Needles, Lucas Heights loop and back via The Needles for hill session to enjoy!

Also worth investigation is Lane Cove National Park (I haven't been in there, but hear there is plenty). I'm sure you can work the Longy in somehow!

If you want to fill in the gaps (ie pubs, local tips or direction), google it, fat hippy it or pm me.

Happy riding!

orphic

Postby orphic » 08 Jan 2010, 14:38

Thanks. I forgot about this thread. I haven't had an ounce of time to do any off road riding recently... And to be quite honest, I am kind of enjoying NOT being covered in bruises and cuts for once (although the scars are still healing).

Or perhaps I am just a chicken.

rhys

Postby rhys » 22 Jan 2010, 20:12

Manly dam, for what/where it is, is probably the best bet. Loftus oval is not great for technical riding, but I guess if you're into the cardio its not too bad.

Return to “Mountain”