Dirtworks

For the MTB and mud/dirt/rock lovers...
tedrobin

Postby tedrobin » 28 Apr 2011, 10:23

Just jumped on to wish you all luck in soggy St. Albans, to find.....nothing. Your collective punishment for obsessive Facebooking is for your tents to be swallowed up in mud in the campground. I meanwhile shall be in much more salubrious accommodations in Mudgee, where it looks like the total turnout for the audax event will be smaller than the DHBC contingent last year. I guess they picked a bad weekend for it.

orphic

Postby orphic » 28 Apr 2011, 11:09

Yeah I was wondering why it was so quiet around here...

The good news regarding the weather is that the track drains pretty well and while you might get bogged down in sand, mud won't be too much of an issue (mostly). I'm happy about that, as I considered riding rigid SS if the weather was bad but I just blinged up the ASR with some new bits and she's begging for a ride.

So who is actually in? Camilla, Lindsday, Christian, John... Anyone else?

christian

Postby christian » 28 Apr 2011, 11:11

I've posted nothing about this on facebook, so I don't need to be punished.

tedrobin

Postby tedrobin » 28 Apr 2011, 11:52

All right, your Tent Mahal may float while the others sink. Camilla told me that there will a contingent of about 15 DHBC riders. I've tried to make her see sense and come to Mudgee, but she seems determined. I think you're all mad - I well remember the carnage at the Scott 24hr, and hope that no bones are broken this time around. Landings may be softer in this slush.

orphic

Postby orphic » 28 Apr 2011, 13:56

15?! No way. I missed Anthony and Kevin, so I count 7 so far.

And for the record I have not posted anything about this on Facebook either.

Landings aren't likely to be softer given there are way more rocks than the Scott 24 hr course, unless you're doing the 50 in which case the smooth sailing fire trail will see you home in no time.

NOOG

Postby NOOG » 28 Apr 2011, 16:28

I am still considering riding the SS rigid 29er...I haven't had a chance to shake down the new 'n+1' and I don't want to get it too dirty on it's maiden voyage :?

Stuart

Postby Stuart » 28 Apr 2011, 16:31

Hey Ted - I'm sure you'll have fun in Mudgee, especially if this rain follows you inland but it seems it's dry (or so Eleri says on FB). I can't see any posts at all on Camilla's FB page re Dirtworks so it's all a mystery. Anyway, MTB riding is a little silly don't you think? Especially for 24 hours at a time - I mean, when do you get to stop for lunch and a glass or two of wine?

orphic

Postby orphic » 28 Apr 2011, 16:48

I am still considering riding the SS rigid 29er...I haven't had a chance to shake down the new 'n+1' and I don't want to get it too dirty on it's maiden voyage :?
Ummm new n+1? Details, photos, please?

Hasn't rained up that way all afternoon... Well not at Mangrove Mountain anyway and that's the closest observation point.

When are you going to make the call as to which bike to ride? I'll have to SS the Inbred if I want to ride her. Suppose I could do that tonight.
Especially for 24 hours at a time - I mean, when do you get to stop for lunch and a glass or two of wine?
Between laps of course! Unless you're solo, in which case you get to watch your pit crew do all that while you suck down yet another gu/muesli bar or other "palatable" food choice... But no one here would be silly enough to do that.

orphic

Postby orphic » 28 Apr 2011, 17:00

On second thoughts, the brakes on the inbred are seriously shite. I struggled to brake well descending on dirt when it wasn't wet. Screw that, Yeti is getting muddy.

Camilla

Postby Camilla » 28 Apr 2011, 20:29

More importantly, is there a particular area people are hoping to camp in, is anyone going early to snag it, and what are we doing for dinner!

I have a spare spot in my car if anyone wants a lift. Can schlep bikes too. Assuming I can get the ute registered tomorrow!

christian

Postby christian » 28 Apr 2011, 21:31

I believe Lindsay will be there early, not sure of my arrival time yet, or if I'm driving myself. I know roughly where he will be camping. As for dinner we can just go the the Fickle Wombat, they put on a buffet meal which is pretty good. There isn't a lot of places to eat.

orphic

Postby orphic » 28 Apr 2011, 22:06

I'll probably get there early afternoon. Remember there isn't any phone reception there so it's a bit hard to get in contact.

Think I'll cook this year... I've gotten pretty good at the camping stove thing lately ;)

tedrobin

Postby tedrobin » 29 Apr 2011, 10:25

Looks like my Facebook paranoia led me to taking the wrong end of the stick - you guys were simply not talking. Dry and sunnyish out here at Mudgee, and we're about to head out to Cooyal, where Mark Renshaw's mother-in-law will apparently pull you a beer. Eleri says Andre is doing Dirtworks, which you may not know

lindsay

Postby lindsay » 29 Apr 2011, 11:41

Hi Guys,

Anna & I"ll be arriving at about 2pm tomorrow & going for a little tandem ride to fill in the afternoon.

Plan for Sunday is for Anna to go to the Mac river pontoon bridge (60km?) and cheer us all on or drag the river for DHBC bodies. She'll also be running a drop-off/pick-up service there so anything special you'd like she'll be there feed-zone style.

Lindsay

orphic

Postby orphic » 29 Apr 2011, 11:58

Awesome! I reckon I might give her a bit of food and an extra water bottle just in case I need it.

Think the bridge is at the 70km mark. Hopefully I won't be going in the drink this year!

Camilla

Postby Camilla » 29 Apr 2011, 12:38

Ted thinks anyone who is on FB is attached to it drip-style, so thanks for clearing that up everybody! I must say the townhouse in Mudgee is looking pretty attractive at the moment though.

I'm going to head to St Albans early too and have an afternoon ride if anyone wants to join me. I figure the last time on was on an MTB was the Scott 24 and I better get a little practice in. If it's raining, I'll be in the pub with a book.

orphic

Postby orphic » 30 Apr 2011, 07:44

Indecision...

christian

Postby christian » 02 May 2011, 09:06

It was another fun day in the mud. It may take another 3 hours to clean my bike again.

We didn't get off to a good start, Anthony and I didn't get there till 4.45pm on the Saturday and they made us camp 3.5km out of town. We were camped next to the Bernard beer boys and another of other my other friends who were racing. We had to drive into town to register and to get some dinner, where we waited for about an hour for our food. The restaurant has changed hands and no longer caters for such large groups of people. The rest of the DHBC riders managed to get there earlier so were camped in town.

We did get a nice warm up in the morning by having to ride to the start line. Anthony and I got the line a little late so we didn't get into the first group to leave, the 4 - 6 hours group. This is the second time this has happened to me and it means I spend most of the race passing people. For some reason lots of people think they are fast, I'm not that fast and I can beat a good chunk of them. We started out really fast, there were quite a few people who should have been in the first group. By the time we got to the dirt there was only about 20 of us left out of about 200 in the group. I decided to let them go about 2km before the first hill. We had started to round up people from the first group by this point. Anthony was in the group but I passed him on the hill, and a lot of the others and a whole lot of people from the first group. The hill was very slippery but I still managed to ride the whole way up.

I passed Vic just after the crest of the first climb, she made it into the first group. The track went from muddy to slipper clay to sand to rocky. It had a bit of everything. There were lots of deep puddles that were just unavoidable, one where I missed the line around the outside and had to go through the middle, it was over the hubs. I stopped the bare minimum of time at the first and second stops at 25 and 50 kms, just long enough to fill up my bottle and sort out the food in my pockets. I spent a good part of the race with no one around me wondering if I had taken a wrong turn somewhere.

The canoe bridge was easy, if you can ride rollers you can ride the bridge. I went across it quite fast this year. The second big climb hurt, its about 70kms into the race and you don't think you are ever getting to the top. This section of the course had patches of wet packed sand which just sapped your energy, it was bit of a grind at times. At about 90kms there is a killer descent, I could smell my brakes about half way down, or it may have been the two guys in front of me. Once I hit the road I knew I was almost there so I gave it all I had left to make up some time. I rode the last creek crossing, which I failed at last year.

I'm pretty happy with my time of 5 hours 16 minutes which is 8 minutes faster then last year. This years course was harder to ride and I was fitter last year. It may be the better bike that made up some of the time. I think I can crack 5 hours with more training and a bit more racing. I think I can 24th in my category, I'll have to wait for the final results to come out to see what my over all standing.

Congratulations to Vic for 3rd in her category.

orphic

Postby orphic » 02 May 2011, 10:11

Well, second year doing this and my third 100km race... I think it gets more painful?

Got there relatively early on Saturday but feeling really sick. Don't know what was going on but downing a chunk of food seemed to help a bit. Camped across from the pub and managed to avoid drinking a heap of beer despite pleas from mates, which I am glad of as the friends that raced with a hang over yesterday did not seem to have a very good time. Sleeping wasn't easy with the pub noise so got less than 5 hrs, and with all the water I was drinking trying to hydrate pre race I think I got up to go to the toilet twice.

Decided to ride the ASR unless it rained hard on Saturday night/Sunday morning. It didn't rain, so the On One stayed in the car.

I was going to get in the second group, but decided to suck wheel on the first group and try and be up the back for the climb. Worked pretty well for me, it meant there wasn't many people at the climb when I got there so not many people to pass. I probably climbed about half of it this year. I wasn't going to kill myself in the first quarter, as I knew I would pay for it later.

Stopped to refill, check blood sugar and eat a bit of food/sort out food at each drink stop. I figured out at the end of the race that I could cut about 20 minutes of my time by not being diabetic (seriously, someone find a cure?) and possibly more as there was a couple of times where I was happily riding in a group only to feel the need to eat NOW and have to pull out.

Felt the same nausea that I got in the Fling from the 50km mark. I'm starting to think that dehydration and maybe eating too much is the problem. I might eat too much solid food... Need to try training on gels and see if that works. Also going to carry lube next time. I really needed it in the last 20km for that climb. It was just impossible and really slowed me down.

Pretty happy with my time of 6:54 and a spot on the podium. That's 1h 42m faster than last year on a harder course. I aimed high for sub 7 and pretty much decided half way that there was no way I was going to manage it with all that mud on the course slowing me down. Absolutely smashed it once I hit the tar to the end thinking in my head "must do sub 7" (oddly, syllables timed to each pedal stroke)... Lots of people seem to be saying it took them half an hour longer than usual, I'm not really sure about that, but I like the idea of coming back to do sub 6:30 next year!

Average heart rate for the whole race was 83% with the most noticable spikes when I was riding the techy bits before the 50km mark with a group of guys who were pretty good riders. I was just following their line, head down, out of the saddle, 95%... Probably caused my cracking later on, but damn it was fun. Particularly since I walked most of that section last year.

christian

Postby christian » 02 May 2011, 10:48

Results are up

http://www.multisportaustralia.com.au/R ... =552&EId=1

Rider time Cat pos overall pos
Christian 5:16.34 24 77
Anthony 6:01.47 19 198
Lindsay 8:08.16 13 523
Victoria 6:54.56 3 361
Camilla 8:12.26 10 528

There were 256 riders in my category and 665 in the entire race, so pretty happy with my position.

Who else rode?

Camilla

Postby Camilla » 02 May 2011, 11:41

Woo-hoo! I got a top 10 finish! Who'd've thunk it. And just to be sure I didn't also come last in my category, I checked - there were 16 of us. Since upgrading from 50km to 100km my only goal was to finish, and to get that wrist band for crossing the canoe bridge. After doing both of those things I was pretty chuffed. The rest was a bonus.

Some good times, some dark times. The track from about the 30-40km mark was awsome. Loved the 2nd big climb (until it just kept on going...). Did a slow-mo move worthy of Danny MacAskill into a thigh deep puddle at one point, that made me laugh out loud. Both wheels fully submerged and my very first track stand (thankyou mud). Shame no one was around to see it. Which was one of the strange aspects of the race that Christian mentioned: great chunks of it I was on my own. That suited me just fine though - a nice change from the constant pressure of the Scott. Lindsay & Christian had put the Fear of God into me about the Rock Garden and Really Really Steep descents, both of which I found fine. What I didn't find fine was panicking everytime I came to a downhill section, thinking feverishly "is this it! is this it!". Vast stretches of the course were like stirring cake mix, after all you people had gone through it, and that was hard going. But most of all, I would happily never look at another rock again in my life. Which makes it such a pity that I work with them for a living.

Overall I took it pretty easy most of the way, knowing I'd need to conserve my strength if I was going to make the full distance, and that seemed to work. Lindsay and I leap-frogged each other all the way and had a blather at each stop, and I met lots of nice people along the way. A few of them many times over as I rode past them on every climb and they past me on every descent. Watch out world, if I ever learn to go downhill a bit better! A memorable day out.

Very impressed with everyone's work. 24 was the lowest DHBC ranking, and that in the very toughest category. A serioulsy impressive time Christian. Top marks for Lindsay on the single speed and of course to Vic, our podium placer!

Jo (not Troutman) rode the 50 and Andre did the 100, but with a pre-existing sprained ankle he pulled the plug at the 70km mark.

orphic

Postby orphic » 02 May 2011, 11:55

What happened to John and Kevin? And Megan?

christian

Postby christian » 02 May 2011, 12:07

John had some poor excuse about getting too drunk on the Saturday night. Kevin would have been getting a lift with John, see previous excuse.

MtbAnt

Postby MtbAnt » 02 May 2011, 13:41

My race experience was similar to Christian's, but my time means I was in the right wave (will be improving to go in the first wave in the next 100k)

I made it up the first climb, and rode the majority of the course, with stops at each station for some banana bread, fluid and a quick stretch at the 50k. There were a couple of sections where I should have hung back a bit further while some novice riders stumbled up techy ascents (I echo earlier comments about being realistic in self-seeding). There were also a couple of big step-ups that would require all but a handful of riders to hike-a-bike for a short stint.

I found the canoe bridge pretty wobbly until about half way, when I picked up some speed and concerned myself with the opposite bank instead of the gentle bobbing motion of the planks beneath the bike.

I loved the combination of powering along the bitumen and big slabs of techy climbs and descents.

Base k's, attention to gear and some offroad race practice should see me shave off a couple of minutes and then some for next year!

Well done to all who completed the Mudworks 2011.

I'll see you at the track on Wednesday. I think my recovery will be best served by going to yoga tonight.

orphic

Postby orphic » 02 May 2011, 14:13

Yeah it can be a bit hard with the self seeding thing. I passed some guys on those techy bits who had passed me fire trail earlier on - coming from the front of group 2. Some people are just not used to those rock gardens and can't ride them, but can smash it up/down the hills etc.

lindsay

Postby lindsay » 02 May 2011, 14:26

Yesterday's event went nowhere in explaining the biggest mystery in my cycling life. How is it that I can't beat my single speed fully rigid time from 2008. Last year plush duelie => longer... This year better single speed with front shocks => longer... How I finished in 2008 is baffling enough but to set a time I can't beat??

Anyway I had a great day, best part was no falling off, getting across the bridge and finishing with one of my SS brothers who had a blue SS with purple handle bars, same as me.

Well done to all, Victoria for a podium, Camilla for a great finish (with no stacks either), Andre for having a go, Christian & Anthony for the great finishing times.

Thanks to Anna for looking after me, she was at the canoe bridge for the day & said she had a ball watching the crossing & fallers. Tandem guys were the talk of the day.

Cheers => L

orphic

Postby orphic » 02 May 2011, 14:39

Lindsay you clearly need to go back to riding rigid. How did you go on the techy bits with front forks this year?

The guy you high fived is Alex and he had a bit of a brutal race plagued with mechanicals. I think he was pretty stoked just get to the finish after all that, let alone find another blue SS with purple bars! That's so rad.

lindsay

Postby lindsay » 02 May 2011, 15:55

Interesting point with my new SS. Oh & btw I have Toff to thank for the frame/forks. The forks look like rather low spec Rock Shocks however they did the job quite well. I think they'd be 80mm travel. They made a bit of a clunk when the front wheel got airborne however they never bottomed out. I was convinced at one point they wern't working however I did the boinga-boinga on the handlebars and they were still compressing. So they did much better then I expected & I really didn't want for any better.

They other now "rad" part of my kit was the v-brakes. The pads made it to the end & I think they stop better than the disks on my Duelie. They did go scrounge-scrounge after going through the puddles for a bit.

So it is possible to do these events on a tight budget. Just scrounge a few bits, attack them with a hack-saw and go and have some fun.

JoTheBuilder

Postby JoTheBuilder » 02 May 2011, 16:27

I was also there! Admittedly I chickened out and only did the 50km as I'm fairly new to MTB'ing. Thankfully though, the 50km was endurance rather than technical, and no dodgy canoe bridge to navigate. I did it in 3 hours 45 mins which I was pretty happy with for my first time. Slightly tricky on the big downhill as we got stuck behind an ambulance ferrying some injured riders down. Believe it or not, we were quicker than the 4WD so had to hold up for a while.

I can't say I'd be in a rush to sign up for the 100km but will definitely be in for the 50km next year.

So you can add me to the list! I was there in all my DHBC glory, said hello to Christian and Camilla, but unfortunately missed the others.

Jo

JoTheBuilder

Postby JoTheBuilder » 02 May 2011, 16:35

Oh, and can I ask a question? Did anyone make the entire KOM/QOM hill climb at the start? Any tips on how to do it?

We found that whenever we got some momentum, our back wheel would start skidding and we couldn't get any traction. Let's not forget we were at the back of the last group of the 50km so 1800 riders had gone through it already! Oh, plus the fact that our fitness was probably not quite up to scratch... ;-)

orphic

Postby orphic » 02 May 2011, 16:52

Lindsay - Alex would be most grateful if you could send through or post the photo that Anna took of you guys at the finish line if possible?

christian

Postby christian » 02 May 2011, 17:35

The trick to climbing that hill is the same as any steep loose hill, stay in the saddle and keep you weight even on the bike. The best way to do this is to put your weight back and then chew the stem. As for lack of traction, it was slippery when I went up it, I did make it all the way, there were points when my back wheel was slipping entire pedal rotations. I imagine it was a lot worse when you went up it, maybe even impossible without the right tyres.

Camilla

Postby Camilla » 02 May 2011, 22:10

I think it's called beginnner's luck Lindsay. Last year my Alpine Classic time was a full hour less than this year. No idea why, except that this year I knew what I was up for! And perhaps I'd been on a bike in the preceeding 2 weeks...

kiwiames

Postby kiwiames » 03 May 2011, 14:04

This mountain biking seems alot of fun, all ive done is the manly dam course. Is there any events before the scott??? i wont ride 700km the weekend before so i should be fine for that one. great work camilla!

Camilla

Postby Camilla » 03 May 2011, 17:27

You'd be fantastic Amy. You really ought to give it a go.

Meanwhile, I just hosed off Lindsay's bikes and found actual rocks embedded in the mud on the single speed! No wonder you didn't crack the 8 hours Lindsay, with all that extra weight.

lindsay

Postby lindsay » 03 May 2011, 21:10

IMGP9255 by lindsaydhbc, on Flickr\

IMGP9263 by lindsaydhbc, on Flickr

IMGP9299 by lindsaydhbc, on Flickr

IMGP9324 by lindsaydhbc, on Flickr

JoTheBuilder

Postby JoTheBuilder » 04 May 2011, 13:39

Not sure if anyone has seen this, but here is some footage of the Dirtworks. Including some unlucky people who didn't quite make the canoe bridge!
http://vimeo.com/23194777

orphic

Postby orphic » 06 May 2011, 12:32

Photos are up! http://www.auroraimages.com.au/index.ph ... 11&start=0

Race numbers:

Vic 119
Camilla 1342
Lindsay 910
Christian 317
Anthony 87
Andres 750
Jo 1352

christian

Postby christian » 08 May 2011, 13:18

Reasons to not race in muddy conditions, 3 hours to clean my bike including greasing all the pivot bolts. One frozen pivot bearing, one shot hub bearing. I discovered the hub bearing while cleaning the mud out of the freewheel assembly. Luckily I had both these bearings from having replaced them on other bikes, you usually replace the pair, but only one will be really gone, so I had some that were not new but better then what was in the bike.

Camilla

Postby Camilla » 08 May 2011, 15:10

I suspect I need a bigger bike.

orphic

Postby orphic » 08 May 2011, 21:05

You can borrow my rigid SS for the next one :P Although I suspect my bikes are probably too small for you too

Camilla

Postby Camilla » 09 May 2011, 00:17

A general question: is it just my lack of MTB experience/skill/fitness, or does it normally take a week to get over such a ride? I never felt particularly sore or bad, but I've been drained all week. Racing today at Eastern Creek I felt about 100, and I'm serioulsy disturbed at how many games of spider solitaire I've played this week rather than work. I'm honestly shocked at the low-level dullness I've been experiencing since the Dirtworks. I think I'm just about good again, but normally I bounce back in a day or two. I'm just worried that next I'll be cleansing with sorbelene, eying off the mauve hair dye and applying the 4711!

On the other hand, the back-eating has been excellent.

christian

Postby christian » 09 May 2011, 08:41

It takes me one or two days to be back to normal.

MtbAnt

Postby MtbAnt » 10 May 2011, 12:45

I think even Christian is likely to feel flat or not 100% for a few days. Are you refering to soreness or ability to respond to sprints and testing your aerobic threshold the next day Christian?

For the majority of riders a 100k will make you sore for a day or three and a week or slightly longer to get those glycogen stores nearing 100% again (providing reasonable preparation and minimal muscle cannibalisation). A big recovery meal or two high in carbs and protein and then back into a solid sleep routine, with recovery rides and a balanced diet is the quickest way to recover.

I also think 100ks offroad is far enough for most to really fatigue, providing they are racing at their lactic and aerobic threshold for the duration. I think a good recovery is setup with the best possible preparation available and riding within your practiced, sustainable lactic and aerobic ranges. I'm always learning more about my body and how it responds when I ride enduro races, it's why I find them so engaging.

orphic

Postby orphic » 10 May 2011, 14:05

Yeah I reckon Baggs is on the money there. Takes at least a few days to recover even if you're Gordo. I was feeling pretty tired all week, and I didn't really help it with the fact that I organised too many social events for the evenings and not enough 8 hour sleeps. Feeling a less fatigued this week and hoping that means I'll be heaps strong next week? Pretty please? I'll cross all my fingers and toes anyway.

Camilla

Postby Camilla » 06 Jun 2011, 21:56

I didn't check back into this thread properly after posing that question, but yes, Baggs pretty much summed it up. I was never sore, or even particularly energy drained, just kind of flat for a week. I was certainly not riding at my lactic or aerobic duration for the 8 hours I was out there - mainly because I was still working out what to do on a MTB and having too much fun chatting with people along the way - but I was certainly toying with my limits from time to time. After the Scott 24 I thought it best not to push beyond them. So the answer is that how I felt was probably normal. And back-eating was required! And you're right Anthony, that finding out what your body can and cannot do is very interesting.

Return to “Mountain”