suggestions appreciated

Bikes and parts for sale plus links to "On Sale" items at bike shops
Michael

Postby Michael » 30 Nov 2010, 11:11

Hi
I've just joined DHBC and have enjoyed hitting Centennial Park on sat mornings with the good people of the club.

Don't get me wrong, I love my bike, but lately I've been eyeing off those sexy road bikes that silently whip past me.
Starting with zero knowledge of road bikes, I've since been googling/educating myself in bike specs 1.01, and am thinking perhaps a second hand Giant OCR may be a good bike to cut my teeth on?

Any suggestions of other good value models to look for, or pitfalls to avoid would be greatly appreciated, particularly as I may end up wading into the murky depths of eBay to purchase.

cheers

WheelSpin

Postby WheelSpin » 30 Nov 2010, 16:08

Hi Michael,

I've successfully purchased several bikes off Ebay, all varying degrees of 2nd hand, which if done wisely will help your dollars go much further than a new bike.
Paramount is that you first have a strong understanding of what size frame you require, with ideally particular crank arm, stem and handlebar sizings also in mind. From there you are essentially free to search to your heart's content, though i would recommend arranging to view the bike in the skin before bidding wherever possible - ie. still buy locally. As with any Ebay purchase also take into consideration the feedback reputation of the seller as well as any postage/handling costs that may be incurred. And for insurance's sake, insist to pay via Paypal.

There are also several other online avenues for 2nd hand bikes, including:

www.bicyclingaustralia.com/classifieds

www.bikeexchange.com.au/

With regards the actual bike Giant is a highly reputable manufacturer, which while lacking the prestige of some European marque's exotica is nevertheless comparable in quality.

Finally, and just to put an element of doubt in your mind, to buy new from a bike shop can provide greater peace of mind by virtue of a custom fitting and the security of a comprehensive warranty...

The choice is yours,

Marcus

Lizanne

Postby Lizanne » 01 Dec 2010, 07:59

I'm a big giant fan. been riding them for years and think they are awesome. Ask why they are selling the bike (upgrade, too many bikes, moving, need cash all good reasons) if it's been crashed, or something is not working, you might end up spending more money on repairs. also check if it has had regular maintenance, the chain, and cassette wear out after a while and may need replacing. new tyres are also good if it's been on the road for a while.

for sizes go to your LBS and try some out. get an idea of what you like, they usually let you take it for a ride and recomend the size needed (they may even have a deal on old 2010 models).

good luck!
see you @ slowies on saturday

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 01 Dec 2010, 09:06

If you are happy to hunt in the second hand arena, then I wouldn't restrict the options to just Giant. Fact is, irrespective of the premium paid on named brands, once they are pre-owned, their worth falls dramatically. So at a budget and hunting, keep your eyes out on all brands. As suggested earlier, the most important is to know your frame size. Picking up a wrong sized frame would be an insolvable problem in the long run. Otherwise all the other parts can be changed. As for the choice of groupsets etc, it's too hard to give a short summary. It depends on your budget, condition etc. If you are not sure and have no one around, it's best to post up your options and we can further assist.

For bike sizing, one home option is to use Competitive Cyclist's online calculator. You'll need to get someone to help you and do it very precisely. It has been good for many users but there's no absolutely guarantee, but at least it'll get you close. To be really sure, you'll need to try the frame size in person and have it dialed in for you.

http://www.competitivecyclist.com/za/CC ... ATOR_INTRO

Good luck!

Michael

Postby Michael » 01 Dec 2010, 11:11

I guess the second hand OCR caught my eye as it meant I may get into 105's for where a new bike would probably give me a lower gear set for my budget, but you are right, I should expand my search

thanks all for your good and sensible suggestions and to the link to the sizing calculator, I'm now sure of my size,
and I now know my legs are short in relation to my torso :)

orphic

Postby orphic » 01 Dec 2010, 11:22

How much would you be looking at spending on a second had OCR with 105?

In fact, what's your budget?

Michael

Postby Michael » 01 Dec 2010, 11:57

I'll need to buy pedels and shoes also, so I'm working around recent sales on ebay which have been between $500-$700 for an OCR

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll ... K:MEWAX:IT

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll ... K:MEWAX:IT

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 01 Dec 2010, 20:13

I've owned an OCR since 2004 and its given my good service

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 01 Dec 2010, 22:14

50cm frame? Medium frame? Suit 179cm rider (and slightly shorter or taller)? Frame size needs to be verified.

Return to “For Sale”